best reverb/delay/echo pedal for Rockabilly sounds

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blindtc, Dec 8, 2013.

1. blindtc

blindtc Member

Cause I am not interested in puting down all the money for fulltone Tube Tape Echo, what is the best pedal that can subsitute for something like that for a resonbale price? i am thinking of the slapback sounds scotty moore got on those Elvis sun recordings. What pedals are out there that can do this sound justice?

2. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Supporting Member

Most any analog delay pedal. Rocktron's Short Timer is a cheap delay meant for slap back.

3. jurfin

jurfin Supporting Member

i use a young pedal co ADM-600 and am very happy with the way it sounds. awesome slap back, and foot switchable modulation - in a tiny enclosure!

rocktron short timer would also work just fine : )

4. S. S. Bender

S. S. Bender Member

The Retro Sonic Analog Delay is an excellent sounding device for slap back applications. It's better at slap back than any other delay I own, and I'm fortunate enough to have some really pricey esoteric cork-sniffer stuff to choose from.

The Retro Sonic has a second footswitch that cuts the delay time in half, which you might find useful, especially if you like longer slaps in the 125 to 150 millisecond range. Otherwise, with 800 milliseconds of total delay time available, and a price point for a new unit hovering at $300, it could be overkill for what you need.

I'm sure there are some decent alternative product options at lower price points, but I'll let others relate their experience with those.

5. JesterR

JesterR Member

Personally, I think, that tape sims works better for that kind of tone. More percussive feel.
    I love slapback sound from my Catalinbread Belle Epoch.

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Silver Supporting Member

For simple slapback, Carbon Copy works very well. Heck a humble DD-3 will get the job well, or even one of the old Dan Echos.

I am loving my El Capistan these days, but it would be overkill for your needs.

7. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Supporting Member

The Aqua Puss is great for slapback.

8. hamerman55

hamerman55 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Aqua Puss. A lot of guys with an ear for tone like that for slap back. Brian Setzer uses the old Roland Space Echo, so the RE-20 might be a better choice for a bit more money. The Aqua Puss is a simple 300 ms analog delay, with bright, percussive echoes. The RE20 is a digital emulation of a multihead tape delay with a built in reverb. You have tone controls on the echoes, and an always on preamp. Some like this, particularly if you want to be authentic to the Space Echo, but it does always affect your tone.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

how much money are you interested in spending?

i score el capistan as the best delay simu available

the new catalinbread belle epoch is considered outstanding. i have a friend that uses one. it sounded great.

the empress tape delay, also wonderful sounding.

i LOVE deluxe memory mans. those are around $350++ used.

carbon copy is a sweet little pedal, too.

i personally like a little modulation because i think that slight edgy warble adds even more realistic characteristics to emulating a delayed tape sound.

the aqua puss is a good pedal, too. but i prefer the others.

10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

another vote for the aqua puss for slapback

11. lefort_1

lefort_1 Member

If you're really after Scotty Moore's sound, then try your best to 'emulate' how he did it.
    The any slapback on the very first Elvis recordings was done by Sam Philips bouncing sound between two Ampex tape machines. From '55 to the mid-60's, the slapback was done with a Ray Butts EchoSonic amp (the same thing Chet Atkins used, live). I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet it was a single playback head (this is my ears talking, listening to old recordings). For reverb, I believe they used a plate bitd, but I have no idea how Sun studios was really set up then.

So, I'd set up with a single-repeat delay...something crisp and tape-like. Add to that a tiny bit of plate reverb, or maybe a very very very short room reverb. The Sun setups were very minimalist, so "lush" is not an option.

12. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

Scotty Moore uses a DD-3. I've played 60's music for many yrs., since the 60's, and I've used Echoplex, Unixvox tape echo, Roland space echo, Boss pedals dd3,dd5,dd6, and dd7, Aqua Puss, carbon copy, plus more than I remember. They can all do it. You need to learn the style first.

13. HillbillySims

HillbillySims Supporting Member

MEGA cheap.. but the best one I've tried is the Rocktron Short-timer. It just sounds fantastic

14. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Yet another vote for the Aqua Puss.

15. meterman

meterman Member

funny I was just messing around with some slapback settings on my El Capistan Saturday, sounds awesome and very authentic, you can even add some reverb...probably overkill just for slapback but if you want a generally great tape sim the El Cap is hard to beat.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  16. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

I think the EQD Dispatch Master is perfect for rockabilly.
    Slapback with just a touch of reverb dialed in in seconds.

17. tommc

tommc Member

Mooer Ana Echo - inexpensive, simple and tiny; worth a look. Works for me for slapback.

18. 0xeneye

0xeneye Supporting Member

+1 aqua puss for slapback

19. OOG

OOG Member

Brian Setzer used a DM 2 with the Stray Cats
    it worked quite well

20. THiwaTT

THiwaTT Member

I absolutely love my Retro-Sonic Analog Delay - it definitely does the DM-2 slapback thing very well, but the 800ms delay time, and the tone knob make it much more than a one trick pony.

I often times run mine with the tone knob all the way down and the mix set low to do faux doubling