Best Speaker for Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by louderock, Aug 3, 2007.

1. louderock

louderock Supporting Member

I have a 1968 Deluxe Reverb. The old speaker was pretty worn so I replaced it with the Weber recommendation. Don't dig it. Kinda buzzy sounding. What do you like for a Deluxe?

2. LP26

LP26 Member

I have an Eminence Cannabis Rex in mine and love it.

Check out the Tone Tubby speakers as well.

3. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Supporting Member

I had the same feelings about a weber 12F150 in my 73 SFDR. After a very long break in period, it now sounds great. Vintage vibe with a very nice glassy top. In my case, I'm guessing it must have taken in the neighborhood of about 50 hours of loud volumes before the buzziness and uneveness in sound disappeared and was replaced by a very smooth, vintage, and glassy sound. I had a 50 watt with light doping. A lot of effort, but well worth it in the end.

The DR actually sounded very good with a vintage 30 - although not vintage-y. I have celestions in my marshall and vox however and wanted something different for the DR.

4. strangec

strangec Gold Supporting Member

I like the 12F150 with my Dr Z Z28 (kind of a Deluxe-ish origin I think). In any case it sounds very nice to my hears.

I tried a Emi Red White & Blue and it was too bassy for my taste.

5. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Member

I felt the 12F150 was too smooth to my ears, so went with the 12A150 (AlNiCo). Love it. Killer tone. Really brings out the rippability of the Deluxe. Bottom end is really tight.

6. SG John

SG John Member

I have a Celestion Silver Series Classic 30 in my '70 Deluxe Reverb. I love it.

7. 4styx

4styx Member

G12H 30 Anniv if you like that 70's sound.Most of the reviews at Harmony Central recommend these as well.:AOK

8. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Supporting Member

I had a Deluxe Reverb Reissue that I put a Celestion Greenback in and loved alot. Two words describe it: Warm and Woody with relatively early breakup. Exactly what I was after.

vtg

9. 56_Special

56_Special Supporting Member

I like the Jensen re-issue that comes with the reissue. Mine is nicely broken in and sounds very nice. Not ice-picky or shrill at all.

10. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Ted's speakers always seem to sound a little buzzy (fizzy) until they get well broken in, (especially if you're "driving" them or using distortion) but once they break in, they are some of the BEST speakers I've ever heard/used. They DO need time though to sound their best. You can't go wrong with anything Ted recommends, provided you're willing to give it the proper amount of time to give up the REAL tonal goods.
    With that said, I just finished some tonals trials with an Eminence Cannabis Rex, and IMHO that speaker would be ideal in a Deluxe Reverb/Blues Junior style amp. To my ears it certainly doesn't need the break in time of a Weber either.

:)

11. bosstone

bosstone Member

Everyone's speakers need to be broken in.

12. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

JBL D120F or Reverend Alltone 12.

13. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I have a Celestion Greenback in my 72 Deluxe Reverb and agree with VintageToneGuy's description.

14. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

+1 on the JBL D120F. The ultimate speaker.

15. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Silver Supporting Member

Here's what I got going for my 65-66 deluxe reverb: I put in a 2X10" baffle with 2-10F150 Webers = more speaker area than a 12" and punchy as heck. BTW - did you know that Ted will break those speakers in for you if you ask?
    There's so many options!

16. Masa

Masa Member

I also have a 2x10 baffle for my 67 DR. I just swap the baffle every once in a while. When I use 2x10, I use two Weber P10Q (I forgot what they're called now.) Sounds more 3D than 1x12.

When I use 1x12, I use either vintage C12N (very bright) or Texas Heat (a little too dark).

17. JES1680

JES1680 Supporting Member

In my 66 I liked a Mojotone BV30 great for loud breakup. Canibix Rex overall a very nice speaker. However my favorite is a Jensen Vibranto which appears to be a 69. Great Speaker for the Deluxe Reverb.

18. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Member

I really like the well broken-in Weber C12N (called 12F150 these days) that I had in my DRRI. I swapped it out to try an Emi Cannabis Rex a while ago, and I think I'm going to swap back. The Emi's a great speaker for this amp, but the Weber was better for my taste.

19. tybone

tybone Member

Tone Tubby Alnico. Thanks.

LB

20. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

On a budget: Cannabis Rex. Balanced, warm, no ice pick.

Best: JBL D120f. Adds juicy mids the amps needs. Awesome.