Best speakers for a Super Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mp815, Oct 11, 2011.

1. mp815

mp815 Supporting Member

who has tried different speakers in their Super Reverb?
    what were your Favorites.
    Also do you prefer alnico or ceramic???

2. GuitarSmitty

GuitarSmitty Member

What are your tone goals? I am using a Weber Michigan 15" ceramic speaker with a multi-tap output transformer to get the needed 8 Ohms. It definitely does more than SRV-style Texas tone, and it cuts a lot of weight from the 4x10 setup. I also run a 4x10 with Weber CTC10s and EVM-10Ms.

That said, you have a lot of good answers out there, both AlNiCo and ceramic -- Weber (CTA10), WGS (G15C, G12C), and EV (12L, 15L) speakers have sounded good with my Super Reverb. I tend to lean toward the ceramics for tighter bass and more headroom, but that's just my ears weighing in.

What are your priorities?

3. mp815

mp815 Supporting Member

I would like to stay with the 4x10 platform.
    I am not looking for alot of headroom.
    I would like the sweet spot to come sooner at a lesser volume.

4. Demo

Demo Member

Weren't the originals a mixture of two ceramics and two alnicos as Concerts were?

5. GuitarSmitty

GuitarSmitty Member

Sounds like AlNiCo might work better for you -- the Weber CTA10 (20Watts) and CVC10 (10 watts) can do all of those things for you. I have tried the CTA10s in my Super Reverb and they sounded beautiful. If you like the speakers you have, you might also like the Weber MASS attenuator with the appropriate 2Ohm load setting.

I am not a Weber employee ;-)

6. karmadave

karmadave Member

CTS Alnico's

7. zenas

zenas Member

What do you have in it now? Knowing the starting point may help.

8. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

No. Were 4x10 Concerts that way really? I'd be surprised since Fender never really put that much thought into speakers. They just used whatever they could get cheap.

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I was right there with you until you mentioned the attenuator. The Super Reverb is a loud amp by today's standards. It's been my experience that attenuators drastically alter tone when you try to get more than a mild attenuation out of them.

And yes, I've tried the Weber MASS - a nice one, especially for blackface Fenders, but for the amount of attenuation needed to tame a Super down to present restuarant/bar levels, not to mention living room volumes, you'd lose a LOT of that Super's original output overdrive tone. A mildly set JRC4558 chipped Tube Screamer would get you closer to the original sound of that amp cranked at lower volumes.

10. 55hz

55hz Member

I love my X pattern, Alnico Gold/Scumnicos.

11. GuitarSmitty

GuitarSmitty Member

That's why I said "might"...because I haven't actually used any attenuators; if I were to try one, Weber has always had a great return policy. It's a tough call beyond the speakers; pretty much anything else gets away from that great power tube distortion, relying more on preamp tubes and chips like that JRC4558 for gain (I agree with you and do use both). The El'Mo pedal also does a pretty good job of a cranked Fender sound at lower volume levels.

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've had 5 60's blackface Super Reverbs over about 30+ years, and my favorite speakers have been:

Original Jensen P10R's from a '59 Bassman - Talk about holy grail tone. Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Early 90's, First Gen Mojo copies of Jensen P10R's - VERY close to the originals in tone.

'66 CTS Ceramics - Absolutely KILLER, beefy speakers for both single coils and humbuckers

'67 CTS Alnicos - KILLER for humbuckers, but a little on the bright side for single coils. Adjusting the amp's bias helped compensate for this, but made the speakers less desirable for humbuckers.

Early 90's Eminence Alnico "blue baskets" - I tried a set of these in a silverface Super. These speakers had a terrible reputation in the early 90's '59 Bassman reissues - but after a lengthy breakin, they sounded incredibly warm and woody. My current favorites for Bassman reissues. Maybe the Jensen P10R reissues will sound this good in a few more years...

The absolutely worst sounding speakers I ever had were a set of '64 CTS ceramics (swiss cheese baskets).

For what you're trying to get, a sweet tone that breaks up a little early, I'd highly recommend a good Jensen P10R style speaker. I hear good things about Webers, and still here good things about Mojos. I've even heard a set of well used Jensen reissues sound good (in a '59 Bassman reissue).

Keep your originals boxed up for safe keeping if they are originals or at least period correct originals.

13. grantster

grantster Member

I have a 1966 Super Reverb with JBL's. It is a great sounding setup but OMG it weighs a ton. I think they came out of a 68 super.

14. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Very underrated speakers. I had a pair in a Peavey Delta Blues that were really nice. Great clarity and snap yet warm. Also if you can find old Kendrick Black frame 10"s those are very nice also.

15. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

How early do you want it to break up? The Weber DT series speakers are an American style speaker designed to be really inefficient and allow you to turn the amp up higher without as much volume. Just a suggestion.

16. zenas

zenas Member

Anybody try these speakers yet? Just seems like a good idea to me.

17. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I've tried many 10's with my BFSR head.. A few of the notables:

4 x Weber CTC10s: Good tone, but late breakup. Loud and clean.

4 x THD "ebay blowout 10's": Liked the tone, similar to CTS Alnicos, but one developed a cone rub after a few months.

My favorite so far (and what I'm using today) is 2 Emi 1058 legends on the bottom, and 2 Emi blue-frame alnicos on the top. Very nice, balanced tone with moderately early breakup (mostly from the Alnicos).

18. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

i wonder if these same recs would hold true with an Omega modded 410 deville?

19. mp815

mp815 Supporting Member

has anyone tried the eminence copperhead?

20. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

For lower wattage and smaller speakers I like alnico. Brings out the bass and tames the high end in a 10". It seems to me that if the amp is 15 watts or less I like alnico...but by the time you get into "Deluxe" territory I like a Jensen C12N more.