Best speakers for Allman Brothers sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mxr2000, Apr 12, 2008.

1. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

2. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

Bump

3. big mike

big mike Marshall Voiced Moderator Staff Member

Dickey or Warren?

4. wec

wec Member

Dickey as always, plays through JBL's. During this time period (early to mid 90's), Warren was playing through EVM-12L's loaded into two Engl 4x12 cabinets. He used EV's for a long time in the late 80's and early 90's with the ABB before moving to different speakers when Gov't Mule got cranking. His favorite tone of mine was always when he played the Soldano through EV's.

5. moo cow

moo cow Member

man, great tone from both of 'em. i just watched way too many versions of the same song while over on you-tube. what a band!

6. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I have a early 70's JBL D120F that was reconed by Weber. If you have any interest in it let me know. It is a killer speaker for what you are looking for. It is 8 Ohms. I have found though that it doesn't matter what speaker or amp someone reccomends you need to find a setup that works for you to get that tone.

I can get a killer Allman Brothers tone with my TR Onyx through a 2 x 12 with Celestion 12-65. I am sure you can get that tone through many different configs.

7. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

Sorry i was looking for the sound of both players..which speaker today can copy that JBL sound? I like old EV's but not sure about the new ones... what other company do a better quality Celestion 12-65

8. Wayne

Wayne Member

Don't forget the incredible Derek Trucks and his politically incorrect Pyle Driver speakers. From Wikipedia:

"Trucks avoids processing and effects, preferring to get the purest tone possible by connecting his guitar (2000 '61 reissue Gibson SG) directly to his amplifier, a 1965 Fender Super Reverb loaded with four Pyle Driver MH1020 speakers. He modifies his tone with the controls on the guitar."

9. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

bump

10. big mike

big mike Marshall Voiced Moderator Staff Member

Scumback Speakers. Shoot jim an email and he can fix you up for the G1265 tone, or what I suggest, the SA1275LHDC - HP8 I think...
    8 ohm high power heavy magnet prerola H tone with a large dustcap.

Or the M version if you want truer to the G1265.

I can get a pretty close tone with the right amp and if I'm doing my part, through my M/H Scumback speaker mix.