Best Tube Amp Under $1000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SamuelLee15, Nov 14, 2007.

1. SamuelLee15

SamuelLee15 Member

I've been wanting to get a new guitar amp, but I don't really have too much money. What do you guys think is the best amp under $1000?

2. eric-d

eric-d Member

what kind of tones are you looking for?

3. mude

mude Supporting Member

No idea what you are looking for, but after playing a Mesa Maverick today, I would put it on the list. They can be had for easily under a grand and they can be killer amps in the right application. Great set of controls and tones. Take a look.

Evan.

4. Telephile

Telephile Member

+1 on a Maverick. Also the Vox AC30 CC series can be had for under a grand.

5. skylabfilmpop

skylabfilmpop Member

or early (68 69 ) silverfaced. These amps rock and are cheap and can be easlily equipped with a master volume if you like.. I picked up a 67 modded by a very well known boutique builder. What a monster! and $450. add a decent used 2x12 and you are slaying for under $800

6. silencer eleven

silencer eleven Supporting Member

check out some of the dr z stuff. you can find a ghia for well under 1000.

jordan

7. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

I've seen some nice used gear for sale on the emporium over here for under $1000 RI Marshall JTM45's , 15 or 18watt Top Hats, Silverface Fenders, Valvetech VAC'c and Hayseeds, $400 Bassman heads, $400 Traynor YBA-1's.

For a real good new amp, I think that you can still get a Valvetech head for under$1000.

8. oddb0d

oddb0d Member

Vox AC15 with Blue Alnico speaker....

9. pageburst

pageburst Supporting Member

Fender Vibrolux Custom. $999.00 new

Maybe it's the absence of a negative feedback loop but this amp just sings. The clean tone has the warm spacious Fender shimmer in spades and then some.

Out of the production Black Face resissues I find the Vibrolux tone most accesible especially for smaller rooms. It's livelier and warmer than the Deluxe Reverb. Less reticent in the mids. It's as if the Vibrolux custom has a touch of the tweed tone to it.

And when you crank the dial you get a great juicy breakup with loads of harmonics.

The 60's Pro Reverb is my favorite BF Fender. I've always found that they seem to have a bit more character than some of the other Fender BF amps of the time. Just a bit less lean. Much the same way I prefer the Pro Reverb I also find the Vibrolux to have a bit more character than many of the current production Fender RIs

10. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

Right now there is a Clark 5E3 Tweed Deluxe w/a Celestion Blue for $1080 on the emporium.

11. 67super

67super Member

+1 on early SF Fenders. I recently picked up a early 68 SFDR for under a grand and love it. Also the Fender Super-Sonic is around a grand and I love mine.

12. Peppy

Peppy Member

The Custom Vibrolux is unique but...it's not a reissue.

13. art_z

art_z Supporting Member

ahahahahahaha .. yea, the magic amp ... :rolleyes:

14. Robotechnology

Robotechnology Member

Once in a while you can get a THD Flexi-50 for $999 used in excellent condition. That would definitely be my vote!

15. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

TGPer Riffmiester has a Tophat Club Deluxe 2-12 combo on the amps and cabs emporium for $1100...Nice.

16. ChrisGS

ChrisGS Member

Still yet another Tophat Club Royale...This time in Green tolex w/ Red Fang Speakers. Mmmmmm.

In the emporium from TGPer amonte. Also for $1100

17. SamuelLee15

SamuelLee15 Member

I play mostly in a church setting. I'm looking for an amp with a warm clean channel that will break up nicely when I put an overdrive or distortion through it.

18. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

For under a grand, new I'd get the Ceriatone Expression. Fantastic OD tones and cleans up nicely usiing the volume control on the guitar.

Used I look on Ebay for a Soldano designed Yamaha T 100 or T50. They come as a head or 1 x 12 combo. 2 channels clean and overdrive...basically a poor mans SLO. They are on Ebay often when I do a search for Soldano, and theysell for between 500 and 650. Great value!

19. black_manta

black_manta Supporting Member

I love my Heartbreaker, I got it for $800 used, and it has a delicious 3d clean channel, as well as a great OD channel, and the ability to have either channel be low or high gain, no recto "fizz" on the distortion, lots of power scaling options, and some pretty nice reverb for a mesa.

+1 on the Maverick, too, very nice amp.

20. Capn Spanky

Capn Spanky Member