Black Art Pharaoh- REVIEW AND GUITAR/BASS DEMO

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by aawshred, Jan 9, 2011.

1. aawshred

aawshred Member

I've had the pharaoh for a month or 2 now. below is the review i sent to mark and links to the guitar and bass demo i did last night. i will most likely be doing more demos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXYiejb4vik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HWMJNNvnuY

enjoy!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

I too just received a Pharaoh and agree that it's one of the BEST fuzz pedals I've ever owned, plain and simple. Here's a brief review I did on another forum:

The Pharaoh definitely reigns supreme! I've had the pleasure of playing it loudly all day and it sounds super badass! I love how wide open this thing sounds, just sings with pure dynamic heaviness and awesome touch sensitivity. None of the nasal, choking, piercing sounds a lot of fuzzes produce, the Pharaoh just blooms smooth fuzz out of my speakers. The tone controls make it really versatile, but in all honesty, when I first plugged it in, tones were at 12o'clock, adjusted fuzz and volume, high gain and diodes in and just zoned out playing it for over an hour! When I first switched it on, I noticed it was quiet as a mouse, until I hit a note, fuzz heaven.

When I finally started adjusting things, I realized this is the best sounding fuzz I've ever owned that also demonstrated this much versatility! I get amazing low gain, overdrive style tones, punchy distortion, and all out smooth, thick, juicy fuzz with low end fully in tact, just amazing. I hate when fuzz pedals take over your guitar and amp tone and impart their own. The Pharaoh is definitely not guilty of this, just lets your guitar breathe through it while adding a healthy dose of heaviness. Oh yea, it looks amazing as well, super cool cosmetic design! And the price is superb, thank you!

3. aawshred

aawshred Member

great to hear that man!

4. insubordination

insubordination Supporting Member

Black Arts Tone Works, not Black Star. :aok http://blackartstoneworks.blogspot.com/

I will third the support for this awesome pedal, and its maker. Just ordered a second one in fact! Sooooo much low end, way more versatile than you might think, stacks super well with OD pedals, and just ****ing rules.

5. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

These have my interest.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  6. insubordination

insubordination Supporting Member

Wha? Where are these threads and what are people saying?

7. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

Mark's customer service was spectacular when ordering my pedal. I originally inquired about custom options and he got back to me quickly with every answer I needed to know, just super helpful in every way.

Further, he shipped my pedal out quickly with Priority service at no charge and when I reviewed it, he got in touch to thank me. Can't imagine getting bad service after my GREAT experience dealing with Mark at Black Arts Toneworks.

8. SpaceFlunky

SpaceFlunky Member

I really want to check out the Pharaoh. The price is pretty awesome too!

9. Hazelwould

Hazelwould Member

Huh? What threads?

10. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

You should, definitely. I had been hearing about it here and there and checking out clips, but when I saw the price, I had to go ahead and order it. After plugging it in, I must say it feels like one of the better bargains I've ever had in my gear buying lifetime.

11. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

The price seems to good to be true.

12. SpaceFlunky

SpaceFlunky Member

my bday is coming up in feb...i might just get me one as a gift to myself. :Devil

13. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

That's funny, mine was a bday gift for myself as well, and my bday is still a couple weeks from now.

14. Black Arts Mark

Black Arts Mark Member

Thanks for all of your support guys, it is very appreciated. It's awesome to know that soo many fuzz lovers love the Pharaoh.

As far as bad Customer Service, IDK. News to me. I'd like a link to those threads, if there is a problem, maybe I can fix it there because it's unknown on my end.

15. fuzzfarmer

fuzzfarmer Member

Maybe he's confused Black Arts with Black Star..because of the original post.

If anybody has questions, they should shoot him an email. Mark is quick to respond, and excenllent to deal with.

I have Pharaoh's # 9 and #25.:aok

16. ChaseTMP

Here was one of the threads, albeit; an old one:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=305355&highlight=Pharaoh

There was another singular post with someone saying they could not get in contact with Pharaoh. I'm not sure if there are two company's using the "Pharaoh" name, since I see Mark and Matt, both referenced. I wasn't trying to degrade anyone's busniness-standing. I'm just wary nowadays, having had communication issues with several pedal builders.

17. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Pharaoh Amps is not the same outfit at all... Lets not confuse this issue with misinformation.

18. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

When I was first checking out the Pharaoh, I came across a pedal called the Uptown Fuzz made by Pharaoh Amplifiers on google, maybe that's causing confusion? Oh, just saw the thread link, that's def the case. The Pharaoh fuzz is made by Mark of Black Arts Toneworks.

19. ChaseTMP

I edited my post with customer service concerns. I apologize to Black Arts Toneworks. Both companies use the word "Pharaoh" and work on amps as well as have their own pedal creation(s). I'll most likely be ordering a Pharaoh Fuzz.

20. fuzzfarmer

fuzzfarmer Member

Black Arts Toneworks