Boss GT-100

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by EthanCoker, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timowens316

timowens316 Supporting Member

2. RafterRattler

RafterRattler Member

I was thinking the exact same thing. If they're not models of existing amps, then they're not really models - they're digital inventions. Accuracy becomes a meaningless term.

RR

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

They could be modeled after modern amps.

4. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

He said "eight new original Boss amps..." (around 0:28)

I wonder if the looper is longer than the usual 38 seconds...

_

5. RafterRattler

RafterRattler Member

6. jmcorey

jmcorey Supporting Member

Have to agree. Even with the lightning fast playing that doesn't let us get an idea of how the notes ring out, sustain, decvay, or dynamics, the fizz factor and the cocked-wah sound like they are not a problem on the GT-100.

7. jmcorey

jmcorey Supporting Member

Boss has had these since the GT-8. They were definitely on the clean.

Line 6 has them, also - the Line 6 Clean, Crunch, Insane, etc.

Boss - The Boss clean, crunc, lead....

This year one appears to be called Natural Clean.

8. Laskyman

Laskyman Member

The high gain sounds do for sure- which IMHO was the weakness of the GT10- I cant discern any CW from the GT100- and in the GT10 demo- *I* cant overlook it. If this GT100 eliminated the CW from OD/DIS/High Gain models, and kept intact the ability to completely customize the effect chain (parallel, series, etc)- this GT will be a great piece of kit- especially for those with an amplifier they really like. I have always been a fan of boss GT series- just lost hope with the 10 because of the CW.
    If the GT sounds natural when running direct to FOH, i will probably own one. I for one am excited to check one out- that will be the true test for me.

9. manatarms

manatarms Member

I'm in a similar boat. I have always been a fan of the Boss/Roland sound and the GT-series. My first modeler was a Roland GP-100 which I played for about 6 years. I bought the GT-10 and even though I loved the effects and the flexibility, I couldn't get past the CW sound of some of the higher-gain amps. I'm hoping the GT-100 fixes this and that the amp models are as much improved as they keep saying they are.

I've tried and tried to get into the Line 6 stuff but there is something about the tones that I just can't get into. I even had a HD-500 for awhile, and while it was really good, I wasn't as impressed with it as I was hoping. I kept wishing it had different amp models. I wasn't very happy with the majority they decided to include.

10. journo

journo Member

Hi,

Haven't had time to read all of this thread as I just came back from LA and the NAMM show.

Tried the GT-100 three times. Unfortunately with guitars I didn't feel comfortable with so I don't know how much that influenced my experience.

Build and U/I
    Excellent build quality.
    If you like it the way Boss has done it so far with the GT-series then you will feel like home with this one, only more so. The dual displays felt at first a bit weird as they are a bit distant from each other but I soon got used to it and having knobs for more things is so nice.

FX
    Boss quality as usual and for me they surpass everything the competition ever dig.

Amp models
    I know there are people who will just ignore the GT-100 just because it says COSM on the front. It will be their loss. GT-100 has a more powerful chip and will allow for better dynamics then previous models and the models are indeed reworked. At the show floor I had little chance to do some serious editing to get it where I really wanted it but I have no doubt that I can get the GT-100 to sound good going direct.

The GT-100 will be a success.

Cheers,

Mats N

11. Wesman61

I am leaning more and more towards a GT100. I take all the negative comments as either coming from those who have been understandably frustrated by past GT units or those who just hate Boss. I really can't judge by the demos I've heard so far. I need the unit in my studio to decide what I think.

12. Gtr65

Gtr65 Member

I agree that BOSS's demos are more of a showcase for Rob Marcello and bad backing tracks than for the product itself. Would one medium gain amp patch "A" power chord be too much to ask? How about a few non-shredding blues licks? You just can't judge the depth and quality of its tone capability with full-on wankage.

I mean, NAMMs's over and we're all still waiting to hear good examples of the GT-100's amp sims.

13. AZG

AZG Member

I thought I would quickly put together a list of some of the less published info on the GT-100 that comes from videos and sound samples. If I missed anything please add it to this thread.

• New DSP that is supposedly about 6x more powerful than the one in the GT-10.
    • Updated effects
    • 25 completely remodeled amp models are currently included, 8 of which are custom amps created by Boss. Below are 22 currently known amps;

1. Natural Clean: Assumed custom amp
    2. HiGain Stack: Assumed custom amp
    3. Extreme Lead: Assumed custom amp
    4. Power Drive: Assumed custom amp
    5. Stack Crunch: Assumed custom amp
    6. Full Range: Assumed custom amp with flat response. Good for acoustic guitar
    7. Combo Crunch: ?
    8. JC-120: Roland JC-120.
    9. Clean Twin: Fender Twin Reverb.
    10. Tweed: Fender Bassman
    11. Deluxe Crunch: Fender Deluxe Reverb
    12. Pro Crunch: Fender Pro Reverb.
    13. VO Lead: VOX AC- 30TB Lead
    14. Match Drive: Matchless D/C-30
    15. T-Amp Lead: Hughes & Kettner Triamp Amp 3
    16. BG Lead: MESA Boogie Lead
    17. BG Drive: MESA Boogie Drive
    18. MS1959I: Marshall 1959
    19. SLDN: Soldano SLO-100
    20. R-Fier Vintage: MESA Boogie Dual Rectifier – Channel 2 Vintage
    21. R-Fier Modern: MESA Boogie Dual Rectifier – Channel 2 Modern
    22. 5150 Drive: Peavey
EVH 5150

14. Laskyman

Laskyman Member

I wonder when the manual will be released...that will have a serious impact on my decision to purchase or not. I wonder if they included a bunch of amp models, or just the ones above? Also- i wonder which OD/DIS sims are on board, AND, if you are still able to have 2 delay or Pitch banks in each patch, and how fast the pitch can track....

15. AZG

AZG Member

They state in one of the videos it has 25 amp models. So add 3 more to the list above.

16. Wesman61

One of the videos has Rob playing a short passage with the harmonizer. It seems to track really well.

17. journo

journo Member

I saw a demo where Rob played the synth fx and that tracked surprisingly week.

Cheers,

Mats N

18. eman22

eman22 Member

I must assume there are more Marshall amps than just the 1959

I surely hope they've gotten rid of the CW.....they REALLY lost my faith with that.

I am also hoping that pitch change stuff tracks fast. I don't think it could replace my eleven rack at this point, but I'd like more effects and I could see using the GT-100 amp models at times for variety but the CW must be GONE for me to even consider it.

I wish they would highlight the "naked" amp models in a vareity of styles.

19. gumtown

gumtown Member

There is a post on GT Central where someone asked Roland when the manual will be available, their reply is 'at the same time production of the GT-100 starts, in March'.

20. eman22

eman22 Member

what are the dimensions for anyone that saw it in person? How does it compare size wize to the gT-10.

and HOPEFULLY those annoying OVERLY bright LEDs are gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.