British speakers in Twin Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rainbowgunshow, Jun 15, 2010.

1. rainbowgunshow

rainbowgunshow Member

I'm looking to get some new speakers in my '65 TRRI, so I asked the guys at Weber for some advice. With the info I gave them on what I was looking for, they recommended one ceramic blue dog and one ceramic silver bell. It sounds like it would help cut through mixes, eliminate some of the shrill high frequencies I get with the C12k's, etc... I was basically wondering if any of you have experimented with british speakers in Fender amps and if it had good results.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. cjcayea

cjcayea Supporting Member

i dont know. . . you may tear a hole in space/time thereby creating a vortex to another dimension.

good luck.

3. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I replaced the sterile K120s in my SF Twin with Eminence Tonkers, and never looked back. Sounded awesome!

4. rusty a.

rusty a. Member

To my ear they thin out the treble and mush your bass up...ive heard lots of good words spoken about the eminence cannabis rex for smoothing out a twin's highs but retaining the body and punch...

5. rainbowgunshow

rainbowgunshow Member

I think the silver bell would help as far as the mushy bass goes.

6. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I don't have a Twin, but have a JCM2205 with a clean channel that's quite fendery ... was very close to my '64 Vibroverb before breakup. I'm in the opposite camp, always considering American speakers over Brit.

It's a tough call, you lose the glassiness and pure cleaness in the brit speakers, but gain nice breakup that goes above and beyond what you get from amp and pedals.

I do like the Blue Dog with strat tones, but mine is Alnico. It does have an interesting sizzly chime up top, very vintagey and a little Voxy. Alnico will really change your dynamics, ceramic may be better for the touch of single coils, but may lose the unique top end.

The Scumback M75 100 watter was better for strat tones for me, although most like it for high gain. The voicing was close to the Blue Dog, but as I said, more touch in the dynamics (is ceramic) ... a lot of break up on this one.

I sold my Eminence GB12, but that was a real good mix of American and UK tones. The top is very glassy. Nice break up, but not too much. Does clean to high gain well, but best at mid to low gain.

I've tried a dozen or so brit speakers, those stand out.

7. rainbowgunshow

rainbowgunshow Member

Well, I primarily use an ES-335, so maybe alnico's would be a good consideration. Does anyone have any favorable experiences with british speakers in fender amps?

8. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

That's funny, to me, the K-120's I have are the sweetest speakers I have ever used in a Fender blackface/silverface style amp.

I think we all hear things so differently! To each his (or her) own!

C'est La Tone

P.

9. Vibrolucky

Vibrolucky Supporting Member

I used a pair of Celestion GT-75T speakers in my Bandmaster 2x12 piggyback combo for about 3 years before I sold it. Sounded like a Marshall JTM45.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Although that Weber combo is about as good as it gets, those speakers definitely will cost you that 'Fender' sound if that's important to you.

11. saltydogg

saltydogg Red-Blooded Gold Supporting Member

What he said. /\

12. rainbowgunshow

rainbowgunshow Member

That's what I'm afraid of. I' rather eventually get a Vox for that tone, and have more options. The guy I'm talking to at Weber says I'll retain the Fender sound but with more of a mid presence.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

If the Twin wasn't already a beast to haul, I'd load it with 1 EVM12L and 1 FANE AXA12,

14. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

For sure!

To be fair, mine might've been a bit tired. I traded the amp off about 6 months ago, and included the JBLs, and the new owner still has the Tonkers in it.

15. Darth Tater

Well, maybe. The Silver Bell has very little..if any..sparkle and spank, but plenty of strong bottom end. The Dog has a very tight bottom end, LOTS of mids, and chimey highs. I run a Sig 10 next to my Silver Bell for when I want that Fender punch & sparkle (I do not run them together). I'll be upgrading that Sig to a 12F125A when budget allows though.

16. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I ran V30's in my '69 Twin. They were all that and a bag of chips.

My Bud fills his 2-12 Bassman cabs with V30's or the WGS Vet 30's

Prosonics, Dual Pro's and Tonemaster's were Celestion equipped right from the factory.

The secret's out, Celestion's are the BOMB in a Fender circuit

17. milk bone

milk bone Senior Member

Currently running mine into a port city cab with a Reeves vintage purple (fane crecendo). It sounds freaking good.

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

Fanes have a great tight low end even when pushed, lots of crisp detail through the mids
    and plenty of sparkle and chime on the top end but no harshness.

19. Darth Tater

Dang. Imagine how much better a GOOD speaker would sound then :)

20. FFTT

FFTT Member

Rim shot! :)

My neighbor had an original U.K. V-30 in his 65 DR and it was O.K. at low volume, but once you started pushing the amp it was ice picks even with
    a well broken in original.

The new Chinese sweat shop V-30's might be worth about $29.00 each if that
    bulk wholesale.

In a Weber British voiced speaker for a hi powered Twin, I would
    go for a pair of their Fane Axis 12, FC12 or Thames.

In a real Fane, I'd go for either a pair of Medusa 150C's or a blend
    of a Medusa with and AXA12.

The Studio 12 would be exceptional, but they weigh 17 pounds each.