Budget in ear monitors? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by spinner75, Nov 13, 2012.

1. spinner75

spinner75 Supporting Member

My band is looking to go to in ears. We each have a budget of $500 or so. Does anyone have some decent in ears for around that price?

2. walkers

walkers Supporting Member

Our band as well as many others have been pleased with our 1964ears...check them out.

3. spinner75

spinner75 Supporting Member

Thanks but i was looking more for the receiver etc. Those look interesting but $325 for a pair is beyond budget

4. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Audio Technical M2M has a solid transmitter and receiver. Buds are okay for single driver buds... Definitely can get you going.

Carvin is the least expensive of the ones that will do stereo. They are okay for the buck...

Shure and Sennhieser offerings can be found in in that price range-ish. Might break it a bit...

5. stephenwz968

stephenwz968 Supporting Member

We use the Galaxy Audio setup AS900 and it works very well for being a budget unit.

6. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

Galaxy, or the Hear FreedomBack system. Check out SM Pro Audio as well. They have some cool stuff coming out. It's hard to go cheap though with in ears. You don;t want to harm your hearing.

7. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

Used Shure PSM200 should be around $300 per person.

8. EchoFilter

EchoFilter Member

I use the Carvin IEMs. They are nice, you can do a stereo mix, and they have built in limiters to protect your hearing. They are made in the USA & their customer service is also great.

9. 690MBCOMMANDO

690MBCOMMANDO Supporting Member

With sound isolation I use the Shure 535 Ltd Reds with the upgraded cable and like them a lot.

Without sound isolation, this will sound crazy but I like the apple earpods...and they are $30 lol

10. loudboy

loudboy Member

Make sure that you get ones that fall within the legal freq range, tho.

11. chinstrap

chinstrap Member

The PSM200 are really entry level, so don't be surprised if some of your guys are underwhelmed sonically. I know you are on a tight budget- does everyone really need a wireless set up? Drummer at least could use a headphone amplifier and a good set of buds, makes his experience at least sound much better- If no one else is very active on stage, consider wired and get performance without all the functionality- managing cable is kind of a pain but doable. Maybe get one wireless system (upgraded) for the lead singer type. You have enough pre fader aux buss from your mixer to give everyone an independent mix?

12. TheoDog

TheoDog Supporting Member

After getting to use an Aviom system with shure wireless IEM, budget is not a consideration. It's gotta be a spinal mix or live wedges for me.
    Considering you spend oodles of cash on gear that sounds good, you need IEM that will sound great to your ears. Lower quality, or "budget" might sap some inspiration since that wont sound as good. Sorry to sound like a downer.

13. UMT

UMT Member

When I took the band to in ear monitors, I started off with a really cheap set of wireless. Shouldn't have wasted my time or money. Not knowing for sure if we were going to like it all that much, I bought a headphone amp and ran wired. We never looked back. Sounded great. Taped 'ear' wires to the guitar cords. No big deal. Nobody in the crowd noticed! Ha.

Sure cleaned up our overall sound. No floor monitors blaring and feeding back. Could hear everything. Much easier to control volume. If you're on a budget, give it a try........

14. UMT

UMT Member

By the way, I also tried all sorts of different ear buds and finally settled on a set of $30 Audio Technica buds. My bass player has an expensive set of Shures, and I like my AT's better. Let me also add that I've never used a limiter. If you REALLY know how to use an EQ, you shouldn't have any feedback issues.

So maybe it's time to talk about proper use of an EQ.

I have the Behringer 31 channel EQ. Love it, especially the 'peak' feature. I start off with everything flat and boost the power. When I start getting feedback, the EQ tells me which band is causing the problem and I turn it DOWN. I can tune a room in a heartbeat. All rooms have different acoustic properties.

You can say what you want about Behringer but I remember when Peavey was considered 'cheap assed junk.'

Another thing a gigging musician had best learn right away: take care of your equipment. To this day, I've played several thousand gigs and my gear has VERY few scratches, dings, etc.... I'm very fussy about my stuff. It's my livelyhood!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  15. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

reallly cheap?!! I have UM2s..but they're expensive.
    Alot of students and college kids go grab some Skull Candy headphones and checkout the freq response. Can get usable results for $20.

16. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

The 200s actually sound pretty good. But I'd go with at least an M2 for the stereo/more me capability.

Buds are the important bit. Most buds (and headphones) have a big bottom and top and a scooped midrange. Even some of the flatter ones, though they sound decent on pre-recorded music, make it impossible to sort out the individual components of a live mix.

17. s0c9

s0c9 Member

IMHO - there's no such thing as budget IEM's?
    Is your $500 budget per band member or ?
    What are you trying to accomplish... Wired or Wireless ??? Big cost differential. Whether you go wired or wireless, there's two basic configs.
    1. Basic IEM's - mix run from Aux feeds on console - either FOH or stage.
    2. Basic IEM's - individual mix control ? (Aviom, Hearback, Behringer)

We tried 1. above - miserable.. no control, and signalling FOH for adjustments was a joke. We then tried a modified version with snake splitter on stage into stage mixer (we have a spare 16-ch Mixwiz) then 6 mixes out to headphone amps with compressor/limiter in between. It "worked" but it was wired, and less than ideal and required much extra time to set up and "tweak" the mix for each venue (eq on console, levels, gain, etc.)

So.... after much research, and since we're a "working" band, gigging Fri/Sat EVERY week, we recently bought INTO the Behringer PM system (P16-I $399, P16-M $199). Been using it for about a month now, and it's as good as the Aviom system I use at church on Sundays, for 1/4 the cost !!!!

The P16-I takes 16-ch's from your mixer (mixer needs inserts of direct out on each ch). You then use CAT-5/6 cable from P16-I to a P16-M on stage. Each of the 6 CAT-5 outs on front of the P16-I will power a single P16-M. Power DOES NOT not daisy-chain between units, but audio will. You can daisy-chain up to 8 of them if IIRC. Each P16-M comes with the usual wal-wart power supply.

Each band member using these (half still use stage monitors) has individual mix control of 16-ch. You can go direct from there to cans, buds or to a wireless unit as P16-M has stereo/mono and headphone out. Also has built-in limiter and tone controls for each ch. Great $$ value.

I go STEREO out of the P16-M into a Carvin's EM900 wireless unit -I do not use the included buds. Have my own custom molds. I also play wireless (L6 G-90) so I'm totally wireless. Gotta monitor battery use tho' :).

So, decide if you want *wireless* IEM's or not; how you plan to get the mix to each member, then figure in associated costs.

Even basic wireless for 4-piece band is going to run around (eg: Carvin EM9000) $1600. Go up in quality, and your costs go up accordingly. Add in separate buds, molds, distribution system and you can quickly get into many THOUSANDS of $$$.
    We spent $1000 on the Behringer system P16-I, 3 * P16-M's.
    I have the Carvin EM900 ($400), other 2 already had their IEM's, and we bought some CAT-5 cables ($50). Total outlay was roughly $2K.
    YMMV.
    Hope this was useful!!