Bugera Vintage 5 (V5)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ImmortalSix, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

Anybody heard these, or better yet, played one?

I know Bugera brings the :mob, but I am interested in this thing for a few reasons: EL84 being one, a 5W, 1W, 0.1W "attenuator" being another. As a lowly apartment dweller, a 0.1W and 1W setting appeal to me quite a bit. I am wary of the Bugera amps for the parent-company-who-must-not-be-named, but the specs seem desireable.

Product Page

2. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

I own a 333xl and love it! I think Bugera is a sleeper brand. There a lot of snobs that don't wanna admit they sound good because that means they spent too much on their rigs. Amp makers that wonder this forum will put down the quality because its not point to point wiring etc. As long as you take care it, it will last. I have been giging with mine since last spring.

If it sounds good play it.

Plus it will be cheaper than most boutique stuff. I also love their speakers! Just replace with the right tubes for your taste and you can't lose. I loaded my 333xl with KT88's and a at7 tube in V3. I get three perfectly voiced channels Fender Cleans, Marshall Crunch, and Mesa Lead.

3. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Bugera/Behringer traditionally has taken ages (if ever) to get their dirt-cheap electronics cleared for US-release, but this V5 and V22 need to get here FAST!!! (especially given Fender's recent Mad Hatter price bubbles!)

4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Member

Thread over. :dude

5. ImmortalSix

ImmortalSix Member

Yeah, I'm no brand snob, for sure.

I was just curious if any bros made it to Musikmesse and played the thing --- clips sound promising!

6. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Looks like they're shipping to the States now--they used to have a warning saying they're not approved yet, now that's gone and the price is there. Cool! $149 for the V5 looks irresistable.

7. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

My local dealer says he expects them in within a couple of weeks, he has them on order and they're shipping. He confirmed the $149 for the V5 (kewl!), $349 for the V22 and four-something for the V55 combo. Fender beancounters are chewing lots of antacids. BTW, these are some seriously gorgeous vintage-look amps! And while Chinese-made, Bugera/Behringer has broken the mold by buying and running their very own factory in China, not jobbing out the assembly to a third party like so many other amp makers. Thus they maintain quality-control directly and lower costs. I mean if they can make a great-sounding V5 for $149 with a speaker-simulated headphone/recording out (a TUBE amp with a headphone out???) and reverb and a speaker out, plus 3-way switchable power (.1/1/5 watts) then this re-writes the whole bang-for-buck book on small recording/practice amps. That $1,000 Fender Champ better sound 10 times better than this.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  8. JerryP

JerryP Supporting Member

I just had a Bugera 6260 here and it's just about an exact copy of the 5150 circuit. The only differecnes are the addition of reverb, no resonance control, and different switching circuitry. Built very cheaply and dropping like flies from what I read online. It did sound pretty good.
    Jerry

9. theraygun

theraygun Member

Is this probably just a clone of the Peavey Mini Colossal with reverb instead of trem? The V22 a Classic 30 copy?

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I'm curious about the V22 and V55, I had a 333XL combo and it sounded great but was just to much amp for my aging back. Cabinet construction was pretty cheap but then again so are there prices so if there new Vintage amps sound good I will grab one!

11. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

That V55 looks like it could take a 15" speaker pretty easily :bong

12. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

My dealer says the 333/120-watt series of Bugeras sold like mad and his clients love em to death. He can't wait to get the Vintage dudes in.

13. kilsoo

kilsoo Member

To paraphrase "If it sounds good, play it." Got a V22 and all I gotta say is if you've ever had a fully featured 2 channel amp and wanted it to be playable at 22w. This is pretty much it. If you complain about a 22w amp, then you shouldn't be buying these in the first place.

Cel

14. whitehall

whitehall Supporting Member

I'll buy both the 5w and the 22w from MF. Play them both for a few weeks and return the one I don't like. It's the main thing MF is good for.

15. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Bought the V5. Horrible. Went back the next day. See review under my V5 thread. And I'm a big Bugera believer. They just dropped the ball bigtime on the 5. The 22 and 55 are getting raves however. More power to em.

16. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

..I played one the other day while trading amps with someone and they sound pretty much like a $150 amp should sound...maybe $200

...I wouldn't say horrible, but they are what they are

...look nicer than most though

cheen

17. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

The headphone/recording out sounds way overly bright and tinny, has a weird little intermittent electronic glitch sound in it, and the reverb tail in the headphone out is nothing but noise.

Too bad, it looks hot and seems very well built. That thick, beautifully finished leather handle alone speaks of quality. But the circuit designer was just out to lunch. It's a mess. Especially after you spend some time with it.

Played quietly, the cleans sound kind of warm and work well for jazz. But as you move into crunchland it all goes South.

18. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

Hmm, don' know what to make of it. It's definately giving Fender's crazy priced mini-amps a run for their money. Then again, I've heard the V5 is the worst of the series.

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

Yeah, give the V22 a serious look. Appears to be a whole nuther ballgame. The V5 slipped through the cracks somehow, just doesn't cut it. And I waited for it since January with big expectations. Very disappointing.

20. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

I wonder why the V5 is so depressingly bad compared to the other amps in that range...

Either way, the rest of the V amps from bugera are supposed to be great for what you pay.