Carol Ann Amps MK XI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrs, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

2. MCK

MCK Member

Yet another milestone! Congratulations to Alan and the little community he has brought together!

Allow me to bring over a question I posted at the tail end of the last thread...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Damn... 10,000 posts and nary a hiccup. Congrats Alan!

4. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

Wow! The hits just keep on comin'......my favorite TGP thread......:banana

BTW, I played a gig tonight with my OD3 with the Mesa 6CA7 power tubes I spoke of earlier, and I really didn't care for them very much. While they sounded great at lower volumes at home, at gigging volumes they just seemed to have the life sucked out of them. Perhaps they were more used than originally thought, too, but they're coming out ASAP.

5. big mike

big mike Marshall Voiced Moderator Staff Member

Interesting observation on the boogie tubes.
    Bummer they didn't work out post a picture of them when u get a chance
    Curious...

6. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

I'm curious about that speaker as well and I'm willing to bet that a OD3 and 4x10 cab would be real nice.
    Of course, it would be difficult to say the least to find 4 of those speakers but with all the options out there now a days there must be something that's close/similar?

7. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

I have a 2x10 EV cab, but it is wired at 4 ohms. I'll re-wire it and let you know. The cab is open back, and about the size of a Twin.

8. amphog

Jason, thanks for continuing the CA legacy!

9. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Just picked up a 1x12 with a lead 80 and dang if it doesn't sound good with everything.

Buckle up and hit the gas! :dude

10. jimpridx

Well, here they are. This appears to be the blue-stamped set, not green, but both are marked MESA and STR 416.

[​IMG]

I will add, though, that the band I was sitting in with were a bunch of old-timer rockers who still play at 70s volumes. Yikes! It was the very first time when I had my 50-watter while wishing I had my 100W CA, for I actually lost a fair amount of clean headroom that I'm usually accustomed to having.

Regarding tubes, I just put in the Mullard EL34s, and the bias setting instantly popped up at around 16mA, right about where Gregg was hoping for them to be set at. While I'll admit that I'm total doofus when it comes to tubes and electronics, why on earth would the bias range on my OD3 bottom out at around 27mA for a set of Winged Cs or Mesa 6CA7s when the Mullards seem to open that range immensely? I honestly don't get it! I haven't played the Mullards yet to know what they'll sound like, but I will before the end of the day.

11. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

Four 10's is one thing, one 10 is another, and I kind of doubt that a single 10, even an EV, is going to be anywhere near as satisfying as a single 12.

But I can't say I've ever heard a 50 or 100 watt amp through a single EV 10 so I don't know for sure. What I have done is play through a 4x10 cab (for years) and a 2x10 (twice) and the former was great while the latter was pretty weak, in my opinion. YMMV

12. big mike

big mike Marshall Voiced Moderator Staff Member

Those look like GE's to me, or Sylvania maybe. not the siemens EL34.
    Those are awesome in old marshalls if they have good life left. Almost 6L6ish.

EL34 has a different bias requirement. The true 6Ca7 is a higher wattage tube i believe.

13. jimpridx

Thanks again, Mike! I actually have three sets of these that I had forgotten about until I came across them a few days ago. I think this particular set is lightly used, but it's been well over 20 years since I've used them, so it's hard to say for sure. I'll probably try them again sometime when I'm playing with my regular band. Last night's gig probably wasn't the best time to check them out, for not only was the band extremely loud, but the room acoustics were awful, too.

14. MCK

MCK Member

You bet! Its also going to be a ton! I was thinking of a 1x10 solution to see how it works actually.

Thanks for the trouble. Most appreciated. Will be great to hear your impression.

Thanks for the feedback. I must say I'm not looking for a 'great' solution but an acceptable compromise to bring the volume down a little without resorting to an attenuator. Its just an idea.

I have an EVM10L and a Thiele cab meant for a EVM12L + a baffle adjuster. I'll put the EVM10L in there and see how it works.

15. amphog

In past experience, 10's are best in groups of four. I do have a 4x10 with JBL 110's that I tryed with my Tuc. A single EV 12l sounded much better.

16. Shreddies

Shreddies Supporting Member

Alan. When you wire your 2X12 cabs do you have the speakers wired in series or parallel?

17. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

You got it!
    Hope your well!!!

18. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

I wonder how Dr.Z's 10" speakers would sound??
    I've always liked them.

19. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  20. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Guys we had a terrible storm last night and lost power internet and phone
    We are running on backup generator but I cant access the internet apart from by my cell
    And its nearly impossible. The onlly contact method is my cell 9788579026.
    We will prob be out for 2 or3 days but amps are still being built under backup power.
    Im sorry about this. Use my cell if u need to contact me.
    Alan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.