Carol Ann Amps MK XI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gtrs, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

Right to left.

2. B-Squared

B-Squared Member

Looking forward to jamming with the band tonight on the OD3. I just installed some Sheptone Tribute humbuckers in the R9, and I'm really stoked about hearing them through the CA! :D

BB

3. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

If your wall is up over 120V, then >500V is normal, albeit on the upper end. Make sure the replacement tubes can survive that level of HT.

4. Carol-AnnAmps

Carol-AnnAmps Gold Supporting Member

Depends on the configuration of the amp, top or bottom mount, left or right hand input. V1 is always furthest away from the power tubes regardless.

5. jimpridx

BB, you're going to be in tonal heaven with the Sheps! Nice pickups! I just threw a pair of Throbaks in my PRS, and I couldn't be happier with how that guitar now sounds with the OD3. Funny thing is, now that I've become so acclimated playing my OD3, no other amp seems to do it for me any longer.....well, except for the OD2.

Yeah, I guess I was a little quick to answer that one, for I had forgotten that you've produced a few amps with "right-hand" input. Those must be the left-handed models.......LOL.

6. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Silver Supporting Member

On a side note, my JB 100 turns "on" by flipping the switches down and the amp turns "off" by flipping the switches up. COMPLETELY backwards from most any switch I have ever used. I've owned the amp well over a year and it still throws me sometimes. Alan likes to keep us on our toes! LOL

Does any other Carol Ann turn on/off this way? Perhaps they all do? I can't remember my Tuc being that way.

7. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

It's how old Marshalls work. Must be a British thing. They do EVERYTHING ass-backwards. :p

8. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

My OD2 50 watter is bottom mounted and operates as you describe for the JB 100 (up is "off/stand-by," down is "on/operate"). I remind myself constantly to throw the correct switch, especially when I don't have clear access to the back of the amp and have to reach over the top to flip them.

9. MCK

MCK Member

Seems like Alan is slowly getting assimilated... My new Triptik has the switches wired the 'American' way... ;)

10. Mikeroesoft

Mikeroesoft Silver Supporting Member

My Revo45 has them wired the 'American' way too.

11. jimpridx

Both of my OD2s switched the "British" way, but when I got one of them back from Alan after having it upgraded to an OD3, it switched the "American" way.....LOL. Yes, I agree that Alan is perhaps becoming a bit Americanized.

12. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

One of my OD2r's was wired upside down......... Alan said it made her sound better ! ;)

13. MCK

MCK Member

And hence begins the lore of "pre-Americanized" CAs being better sounding, more robust and that they make you a better musician... Expect to see emporium ads to be updated to reflect these positive qualities of the originals... :omg

14. jimpridx

And to expand a bit further on this notion, the earlier CA models will soon be coined as something to the effect of OD2B or OD2(B) for their British-influenced counterparts while the later and more inferior versions will simply be the OD2 or possibly OD2(A) if anyone cares to stretch it that far. Man, I believe my OD2B's value just shot up by about a 1000 bucks.

15. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Silver Supporting Member

...and they also drive on the wrong damn side of the road...LOL
    Hey Alan, we are just having some fun here as I'm sure you well know.

I'm not going to be making the trip with my wife to Boston next week. We have to be back Saturday for a gig. I will wait until her next trip as I heard about this really hip band called "Last Laugh" and I want to be able to stay for the weekend and watch them perform when I'm out that way.

16. big mike

big mike Marshall Voiced Moderator Staff Member

If it's good enough for Jim Marshall...

Wait..I'm giving a drummer credit. :facepalm

If it's good enough for Ken Bran......:D

17. fusionbear

fusionbear Haxus Maximus Gold Supporting Member

Definitely! Next January I will finally pony up for some NOS Mullards...:bow

18. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Ok, advise here on speaker for my OD50 EL34.......I bought it with the CL80 which sounded ok, but bought an EVM as it seems to be highly recommended but it sounds not open enough. Too mid centric...? I plugged it into a 4x12 cab with vintage blackbacks and it sounded so much better! So what single speaker would I be looking for? I could go back to the CL80, I also have a Scumback M75 65 watter.....would that sound good?

19. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I'm rather fond of Tone Tubby alnico hempcones with my OD2. (50W 6L6) well, actually, I have both the alnico and the ceramic in my cabinet (a Two-rock signature 212) but when I record I put the mic on the alnico.

20. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Silver Supporting Member

Since I have a 1x12 cab with the scum back in it I will a/b it with the cl80 tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with a greenback type speaker with an el34 od50? I'm more partial to Marshall tones than dumble for what I'm doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.