Ceriatone Over tone amps Dumble or not?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kimos55, Aug 21, 2010.

1. kimos55

kimos55 Silver Supporting Member

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Doing a little search on Ceriatone should give you plenty threads to read here.

But my impression of Ceriatone "Dumbles" after looking through a few threads here, is that they seem to be a good platform for modding. As I understand, the stock components aren't all up to the Dumble standars, like transformers and various other parts.

Probably why you can order them as kits without trafos.

3. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

And, if you are looking for Dumble tones, there are amazing deals to be had on the emporium here occasionally, I bough a killer Brown Note ODF-100 (F for "Ford" ) earlier this summer and it's amazing! More than a Ceriatone kit of course, but I'm not the one to start building something like that.

Huge brilliant clean channel that loves pedals, and a overdrive channel that indeed does the RF thing very well.

4. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

Email Nik Azam. He will give you any info you seek and yes the amps do the Dumble thing quite well. He basically notes the differences with the Manuals tab that has been added recently. For the money or not, they are really good amps. Research Dumble amps as it will be slightly easier and then note the similarities that Nik notes on the site. This will give you an idea of non-HRM or HRM and that kind of stuff. Youtube has some guys that really do great demoes and have good info as well. Normally I would not suggest Youtube but in this case it is an excellent reference. Are there nicer amps available to get the Dumble sound? Yes.:D

5. GregDClark

GregDClark Member

Here's my 100w Bluesmaster HRM built by Jon Mernyk @ Mill Creek Audio
    ( Renowned Boutique Mic-Preamp Builder). I have a bunch of vids on there, some with a D-lator some with a Klein. The D-lator ( also build by Jon from scratch) sounds steller. Jon is building his version of the Steel String Singer soon and working on several other D-style Clean platforms with me........Keep your eyes out

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  6. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Member

He sells them without transformers for two reasons:

1. Some people like to choose from the various brands available.
    2. It is MUCH cheaper to ship an amp chassis overseas without iron than it is to do it with iron.

7. GregDClark

GregDClark Member

My amp has a bunch of mods:

Fender Twin power XFRMR
    Fender tonemaster Output XFRMR
    HRM tonestack values changed to that of the standard HRM
    Skyliner EQ
    And a few other circuit tweaks to suit my taste/style etc....

Ceriatones are a great platforms for mods etc. I would say that their parts are of good quality (dale resistors,High temp. caps ect). I've heard a few horror stories but that is expected when they gets things made on a larger scale than most. He still remains to make a good quality handwired amp for under $2000. Their D-style amps do take a great while to burn in (especially the ones just built in the last few months). After that the amps are steller IMHO

8. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

So glad to know you are here on TGP. I subscribe to your Youtube page and find your demoes to be among the best in playing, sound quality and demostration of clean and dirty tones of these style amps. Do you mind passing on the info for the prospective Mill Creek designs?:D

9. GregDClark

GregDClark Member

Thank you very much, I appreciate your kind words. Its hard to keep up with TGP for me. I play a lot,record,etc. ,more of a lurker than anything.

Are you referring to the Circuit designs of Mill Creek circuits or are you referring to his information?

There will be a website up soon. He will openly build any Ceriatone amp but he has many of his own original designs and will be offering his own Dumble influenced scratch builds very soon ( not from a kit of any sort ) . He is a very knowledgeable ,humble, not to mention a pleasure to work with.

Here's his INFO for anyone that wants to know:

Mill Creek Audio
    Jon Mernyk
    Phone: 215-880-5641 Email: jmernyk@comcast.net

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

Yeah, sadly I end up here all too often.;) I was actually interested in all of the above. Anytime I hear steel string singer in amp context it steals my attention. I try to never miss a chance to tell someone when I appreciate their musical efforts. Its nice to look at demos of anything Dumble style and not instantly hear the token riffs and singular tones. Only my opinion, but I keep saying these style amps are the best pure marriage of divine clean and versatile overdrive in one amp. I look forward to his website. Hopefully his prices look forward to me.:D

11. GregDClark

GregDClark Member

I completely agree 100%. These amps can do any genre and offer the most usable sounds in one package. I am an avid Lapsteel/Slide player also (In the likes of Kimock and Lindly) and I get very 3D articulate sounds with it like no other amp I've played. I love all sorts of tube amps and prefer certain amps for certain applications, but this amp is my 1 stop shop for gigs because of its wide tonal spectrum.

I also like a big fat clean tone machines so I am opting for a Dumbleand Special sort of amp in the near future.........

12. cocobolo

cocobolo Member

I've got a stock Bluesmaster HRM 50. Wiring and parts are all excellent in my opinion. The hardware and chassis is better than most parts that are available. I've experienced the same 3d effect as others have mentioned. The trim knob for the lead channel is great. You can set your lead level to match your clean level. Makes it a really good channel switcher.

13. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

I agree with both of the above.:D Good to know as I am looking to add slide and steel playing to the live and studio routine way more in the future.:D

14. jmernyk

jmernyk Member

As an audio designer (and Ceriatone dealer/service center for the last year) for over 30 years I thought I'd add a few things. I think the Ceriatone products have hit a nerve with some. "I just paid over $4000 for my amp, how can a $1500 amp be as good?" Which has led to many detractors... The short answer... they can be. Especially if you have it tweaked by someone like me, I think there are more than a handful of folks that are familiar with these designs and can make some minor changes to turn these into an individuals ideal amp. And there is nothing wrong with the stock models either, I just have had several clients that have specific tones they are looking for.
    At the beginning of the summer I had two gents from the James Taylor/ Carol King tour come over to my house to try several models. One of the guys is a Dumble owner, had one built by HAD in the early 80's (ODS 100W w/EL34's) and was floored that my stock HRM (stock TRXFMR's and all JJ tubes) sounded just like a real Dumble (Nik, are you reading this?!) This was a guy who has played many (real ones) and worked out on this one for hours!
    The parts used are all the same good quality stuff ( a few custom exceptions) you find in many other brands, I opt for no TRXFRM's to save on shipping too. To anyone interested I would say go for a Ceriatone, you will not be diisappointed. I gig regularly with that stock 100W HRM (w/Ceriatone TXFRs), no problems at all yet after almost a year. Let's bust down that high price wall and get good amps into everyone's hands!
    Feel free to contact me, I love to talk gear (and would love to build one for you!) and I keep late hours (11AM till 3AM Eastern time).

15. zephaniah zion

zephaniah zion Member

Glad to have you here and welcome to TGP. I look forward to that website and future designs. If only someone (hint, hint) will make a reasonably priced SSS type amp . . . . . :D

16. GregDClark

GregDClark Member

Another Clip of my amp. I figured I had to try Politician at least once LOL :hide2

(Sorry for the Buzz in the background, my DI for my Camera is messed up)

I'm going to do some Lapsteel and Slide Vids next.....

17. NFB

NFB Member

Ceriatones ODSs are the best value on the market.....period. Spoken from a Dumble owner.:bonk

18. mcinku

mcinku Member

I'm a Ceriatone groupie for years now... all my amps are Ceriatones.
    If you ask why.... since I discovered Ceriatone I didn't find anything out there which would be better for the price... and at the same time, I tried a lot of expensive stuff which my amps eat for lunch.
    ;)

...but I biased of course
    :hide2

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  19. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Supporting Member

Love the ODS combo mate!!! Looks great!

20. mcinku

mcinku Member

Thanks, that's my first ODS type amp... I've been hooked ever since
    ;)