Cites regulations

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner: Guitar & Bass Technical Discussi' started by Husky, Jun 30, 2011.

1. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Silver Supporting Member

I'm reading through the cites manual posted above and when I got to the identification section of the manual I wasn't surprised to see that inspectors were directed to take a sample of the wood with a razor blade to inspect with a magnifying glass or microscope. Then each species has specific identifiers that agents are supposed to look for. Here on TGP, the "brazilian rosewood authorities" routinely say that to identify BRW they look for a sweet spicy smell. Guess what the CITES manual says. Exactly the same thing.

If they are in fact targeting guitars, its a safe bet that they will be harvesting a sample of wood from your fingerboard, headstock veneer, bridge, back/sides, etc... to look at it and smell it. So if there is suspicion at all, they WILL be causing irreparable damage to the guitar to conduct their tests. They aren't just going to be looking at a finished guitar and scratching their heads looking at pictures. It looks like they will be cutting pieces off to send to labs and inspect on site.

2. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

As the owner of several top-notch production guitars and custom instruments (which include BRW parts) I ain't taking them across borders!

You know what else? The $200 Yamahas students keep bringing in sound pretty darn good!
    I'll pick up one of those for any overseas tours.

3. larry1096

larry1096 Member

For all of you hoping this will get sorted out and clarified; did it?

I know that the 922(r) laws certainly didn't (they apply to firearms) and arrests and seizures in error continue unabated.

Larry

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. bluesmanbill

bluesmanbill Member

I will use fake dot inlays to avoid any hassles--they look fine. Complex inlays may be a different story, but I never get any requests for that sort of thing, and what little I had supplied in the past was sub-contracted to people better at it than I was. Here again, todays Pearloid and laser cutting can solve a lot of issues.

5. MBT74

MBT74 Supporting Member

I'm curious too about how all of this is playing out as time goes on. I've heard horror stories about guitars being taken from musicians at gigs in Germany.

How do the big name touring professionals get their vintage guitars on tour with these laws? I'm thinking about people like The Edge who travels with dozens of vintage guitars.

The logical progression of the CITES laws would mean that nobody can sell vintage guitars that used Brazilian rosewood (so no pre '66 Fenders etc). Is that likely to happen or is common sense prevailing with the execution of these laws?

6. pima1234

pima1234 Member

I fear that RUSH 2112 will prove prophetic.

7. dmove

dmove Member

I almost bought an ES150 with brazilian rosewood fb and bridge.

8. Lashing

Lashing Member

This is just weird. People like to make way too much about this. CITES does not ban anyone from using old materials.

People seem to really like exaggerating the facts. Just like all the Celluloid posts about it being like a hand grenade or something. Or that you must wear a mask when sanding ... lungs will give out and you'll DIE!!!!! This "cant do" attitude is perplexing. No wonder China is the superpower now. They are "can do" while everyone in North America discusses "cant do" or blows simple things out of proportion .... don't cross the street, its dangerous. Don't sand Celluloid - it will explode and take down the whole block! Gotta have a table saw that stops the blade if you put your hand in it. Old wood? what? thats illegal man! where's my 18th place ribbon?

9. deathbyBONK

deathbyBONK Member

Honestly I haven't run into much of a problem with this. I'm newer to the field so there might be aspects to it that aren't occurring to me. But I haven't been held up in going about my business.

10. jay42

jay42 Member

11. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

As much as I think the current travel situation is beyond stupid and is just a crooked money making/harassment scheme, it sounds like they didn't actually follow the regulations and they decided to bring them anyway.

12. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Anyone out there know of any horror stories involving ebony ?
    I`m not sure if CITES allows seizure of ebony ...That would include all symphonic string intruments and MY KOLL (ebony board) which I plan to take to Italy...but I confess ..I`m scared !!!!!!

13. farkas

farkas Member

So, I'll be gigging in Canada next summer, and would love to bring my Heritage 535 along with me. I'm not sure of the build date. I bought it used in June of 2004. It has an ebony board with mop block inlays. Does anyone have the definitive answer on whether or not it will be confiscated at the border? I'll be entering Canada from Maine, by car. From everything I've read here I either shouldn't be concerned at all, or should bring a guitar with a maple neck...

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

http://www.speciesplus.net/

Search for your favorite guitar material here.... Seems like there are only a couple of ebony species covered. Again though, supposedly "we aren't going after your guitars..." I trust them, don't you?