Converting an Esquire into a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcmark611, May 22, 2008.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Is there really any point in doing that in this day and age?

Can you get all the tones from the pickup switch if you have two pickups or does it just become a pickup selector?

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

The world doesn't need more Esquire's turned into Telecasters, but he other way around is fine.

With the ways to wire up the switch these day's it's still possible to have a Full-on Esquire bridge sound on a Tele. With the use of a 3 or 4 way switch, individual tastes apply!

3. shuie

shuie Supporting Member

I just changed one of my teles to an Esquire using a wiring scheme that replaces the bassey rhythm position with the pickup wired straight through to the jack. I love it. I couldn't believe how much even just the single volume pot was taking away from the pickup.

4. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Member

Not sure I completely understadn your question. Are you askign if you can get all the tones from an Esquire that you can from a Tele? I would say no. You can't really get a Tele neck pickup sound out of an Esquire. But then again the esquire is an amazing animal in it's own right.

5. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Not having a big magnet under the strings makes a difference for sure.

6. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Diagram? I want to do something similar and just have the bridge position only go direct to the jack and bypass the volume but I can't figure it out. (The vol is on the common lug so every position gets it)