Danelectro Fab Tone ( Mid 90s )

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Buffalo Crispy, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Buffalo Crispy

Buffalo Crispy Member

I was digging through some old box's in the spare room of the house and found a old danelectro fab tone pedal that I bought back in the mid 90's so I plugged it in and forgot how much fuz this thing sizzles out! Kind of fun to play with right now for the moment. Anyone else have one of these older fab tone pedals? this is not one of the small ones....

:hide

2. dick wiewy

dick wiewy Member

Yeah and I'm not getting rid of mine either. There's plenty of usable fuzz in those things & their only drawback IMO is the frickin' knobs are jammed so close you practically need needle nose pliers to adjust 'em. I found the Daddy O OD from this series is tight and awright too.

Of course this is TGP and most of the cork sniffers would rather be caught dead & blind rather than admit to owning one of these sleepers let alone enjoying it.
    There's no goop, swirly paint, biblical references, long waiting lists, etc. how's that
    gonna be cool? YMMV

3. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

If I had to choose between my Pete Cornish SS-3 or my old Danelectro Fab Tone, I would choose the Danelectro. I am not kidding.

4. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I have one and I also have a Daddy-O. I thought about selling them, they were some of the first stompboxes I ever bought, but they don't bring much $$. I guess I'll hold onto them, as they could come in handy one day. Like Dick said, no swirly paint, no long wait time, no supposed mojo, just decent sounds. They're not cool, but who gives a sh**?

5. Dale

Dale Member

I loved the one I had, until it died.

6. sutherland

sutherland Member

Cool! I'll trade ya the Cornish SS-3 for 5 Fab Tones!

7. 88mm

88mm Member

Funny. I did this very same thing 2 days ago.
    The Fab Tone is fun to pull out and rock some fizzy fuzzy licks.

8. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Member

I have always wondered why the Fab Tone isn't more popular. It is a WALL of sound and can give some really distortion/fuzz sounds.

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars Silver Supporting Member

I have one!! I hate how close together the knobs are and the jacks are PCB mount and are prone to crack but so far mine has been fine in that department...

I use it for more modern sounds and for thick walls of crunch and distortion.

Gary Moore used one of these all over the Scars album.

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars Silver Supporting Member

How is the Daddy-O??

I've wondered about that several times since seeing one on Mike Campbells pedal board!

11. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

I had one for a long time when I was about 17

it was laughably bad

12. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Supporting Member

A biddy of mine had the Daddy-O it was quite nice. I liked the 3 band EQ as well.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

I still have my Fab-Tone, along with an original Cool Cat chorus and Dan-Echo. I haven't played them in years though. Good sounds, but talk about tone-suck in bypass mode!

14. Analog Assassin

Analog Assassin Senior Member

The daddy-o is based on the guv'nor. I think it gets a nice Billy Gibbons crunch.

15. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

It does suck your tone a bit, but not too bad. The sound is crunchy and a little metal-ish. I do not like the way the knobs are set up either, and they are prone to breakage, but mine haven't broken. You can get a real nice scooped mids sound by fiddling with the knobs. Very nice on a Strat.

16. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I still use the same Dan-Echo I've used on countless stages for years. I love it, and I get some kick ass noises out of it be applying guitar signal and then tweaking by hand. Awesome. Those first three pedals they put out were pretty cool.

17. coalblackhorse

coalblackhorse Member

In the late 90s I did a couple of demos in a metal band and people really complimented me on my tone. I told them it was an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, a Fender Deluxe and a Fab Tone, no one believed me. It was the truth.

people are so lame sometimes.

18. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

They are also my favourite bass fuzz. But I did have to put a true bypass in, even on bass it cut out to much of the tone when off.

19. Dale

Dale Member

They were some of my first as well. While the Fab died, I still mess with that old Daddy-O now and then.