Danelectro or Jerry Jones?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Fred_C, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Fred_C

Fred_C Supporting Member

also posted this on the FDP, hoping to get as much input as I can. Also hope this is posted in the right place here. I've been lookinng at baritones lately and considering these two. It seems used dano baritones go for around $275-375, and used Jerry Jones for around $500-700. Is the improved quality of Jerry Jones instruments worth this, and if so, why? Thanks for any help!

2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

IMO, yes... the Danos are OK but intonation is spotty and quality of pots, etc., are merely OK... I thought it was worth the diff. IMO>

3. Chris T

Chris T Member

Owned several Danos both old ones and re-issues-I have kept an old Silvertone/Dano U2 but as per quality differences between the re-issue Dano stuff and Jerry Jones there is no comparison at all IMO. The Jerry Jones guitars have better bridges, better tuners, better pickups, better fret work, truss rods that work and are easy to get to. The Danos are fun guitars but in the end the Jones guitars are easily worth the extra $$$. Plus I have had several Dano re-issues cross my path that were just plain dogs. Never played a bad Jerry Jones guitar period. Too bad you didn't post this a week ago-I sold my Jerry Jones baritone to a fellow in Norway who is very happy right now...:dude

4. JRenn

JRenn Supporting Member

I'll agree with Chris and Jon on this one. Danelectro's often have very cheap hardware, and the intonation is usually off, too. The Jerry Jones's I've played have been consistently higher quality and much better-sounding when plugged in, IMO.
    ESPECIALLY with the baritone models. I almost bought a Bari from Jones or Danelectro, and did some extensive testing. Played about 4 Jerry Jones and 5 Danelectros, results were in favor of the Jones EVERY time. I even tried a blind test, not looking at the headstock, and again - Jones every time. I ended putting the extra money towards an amp though, but no regrets. I will probably come back around to getting a baritone. Really cool guitars, and a great way to "rethink" how you play.

5. Fred_C

Fred_C Supporting Member

Chris, was yours the green longhorn? If so, I saw it, and it was one of the things that has really got me looking. My timing has really been off lately on a number of good deals I have seen around here!

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

copperburst JJ longhorn here w/ the no longer available rosewood bridge. i wish they still had those available.
    but yeah, the jerry jones is a no brainer. not even close. fine guitars despite being made out of glued and stapled poplar frames and masonite fronts and backs. danged fine.

7. Chris T

Chris T Member

Yep that was it. I just couldn't warm up to the baritone idea-I was just lost on it but the guitar itself played and sounded great. I still have two Jerry Jones guitars-a two pickup single cutaway and a three pickup shorthorn-and just think the world of Jerry Jones guitars.

8. GuitarDiscountCenter

GuitarDiscountCenter Member

One problem I have had with reissue dano guitars is that the bridges are cast with some cheap metal and they collapse.

9. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yes, the Jerry Jones is ten times the guitar at twice the price.

10. James

James Member

+1 :dude

11. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Lets start with the thinner finish of the Jerry Jones, just like the old Danelectros making them much more resonant. The Jerry Jones lipstick pickups are sublime! If you really want a Danelectro, get the real deal (an old one), or a Jerry Jones. The new Danelectros to the old ones are like comparing a Squire to a '58 Stratocaster.

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

and once U hear the beautiful sound of that masonite top resonating....
    well, there's no going back.
    i have a shorthorn w/ 3 PUPs and the neck PUP may be the sweetest sounding neck PUP on all my guitars. think of those classic strat neck PUP sounds and multiply it times the square root of evil. i know that we're supposed to be talkin' about baritone guitars, but...
    OH MY GAWD!!!

13. KRosser

KRosser Member

Dude - Jerry Jones' lipstick pickups are the best-kept secret in guitar history....I love those things....

14. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

^^^
    geez ken, what a coincidence.
    i was just finishing tracking a project and i made liberal use of my jerry jones guitars. the other guitar picker had one of the modern danelectro's and absolutely everybody was falling over themselves from the tones i was getting. i was thinking that i needed to use the JJ's more often as they've been ignored a bit over the last year.
    then U resurrect this 'nugget' from last year.
    funny thing is, the new guitars have essentially the same PUPs. i really don't hear much of a difference from mine, which are 10+ years old. i wish they still did the non-adjustable rosewood bridge. there's a bit more of a twang factor than the adjustable 'neptune' bridge.

15. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    I have a Ibanez Mike Mushok Baritone that is an EXCELLENT value - I love it -

it plays and sounds excellent and with the natural wood top and no inlays - is an elegant looker IMHO

[​IMG]

16. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

but it will never have the tone of a glued and stapled poplar frame w/ masonite top and back.
    i really don't care if masonite is and endangered species. just cut 'em down and make more danelectro copies.

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

I got so many stories about JJ's guitars and my working life - I have four of them - 3 p/up single cut, 2 p/u 12-string, electric sitar and baritone.

Jerry's current bridge p/u is a tad beefier. I had him send me one to put in my old 3 p/u singlecut and it does keep up with the neck p/up better.

My bari has the old wood bridge - twang city, baby.....

18. KRosser

KRosser Member

Because we're all being sensitive about these things these days, I am not a JJ endorser in any official way and I get no breaks from him at all, on anything....

I'm just an 'unofficial' cheerleader here, sometimes....

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

is there even such a thing as a jerry jones endorsement program?
    if there is, where do i sign up.
    i'd love one of those new ones w/ a bigsby.

20. KRosser

KRosser Member

From what I understand, no...