Delay, delay, delay....

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by TedintheShed, Jul 18, 2007.

1. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Member

So, what have you found to be a good analog delay for bass?

2. moogboy

moogboy Member

PricePoint? if you have the money, get the Moogerfooger.with the Moog, you have control of EVERYTHING by Expression pedal and you can make weird sounds on the repeats with the effects loop. if you cant afford that, get a Tape Delay.

3. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Member

Moog are great, if you have the perfect storm. However when gigging, theres seems to be too may x-factors involved that can adversely effect sound quality. This is why I've refrained from getting the phaser.

Tape delays while great at home or in the studio, just seems to be too unreliable for live gigging.

As far as price range goes, let's say around $250.00.

4. moogboy

moogboy Member

get a Space Echo. a real one. trust me, i own one. my mom drove my Space Echo 3 hours when we moved. she is a horrible driver and she drove down the WORST roads possible.(though not by choice) there was no padding around the Space Echo. it is still functioning perfectly.

5. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Member

Again great gear, but it is a tape machine. I also would like a pedal.

6. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

I used a DMM for a long time on bass. Kinda big and needed some mods.
    Then I had a blue and red Echodrive. The Red was a lot of fun, I actually found use for the slam stomp. Sorry I let that one go.
    The Prisoner was next on the bass rig, kinda sterile, and short lived, back to the analog echodrive. I did recently add a Lo-Fi Junkie, but still working out the kinks.

TED,,What type of application are you looking to use the delay in?

7. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Member

Thanks for the response.

I am looking for a Justin Chancellor type effect. I was going to use a DD-3, however it just seems too sterile for my taste. Unless I am specifically seeking a "digitized" tone (like with my G5 Bass synth or Whammy), I like to keep a pure analog signal it seems.

Thanks again,

Ted

8. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

I was just trying the AnalogMan delay with the bass and was really nice. Not too muddy and had nice analog character even on bass. Sound, size and price might make it worth checking out.

How are you liking the G5 btw?

Lann

9. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Member

Are you referring to the red one, the AR20DL?

It's already found it's way into one original of ours, using a preset. It's definitely a keeper. I haven;'t had time (due to both of my daughters playing softball) to get in depth into altering presets, but it looks easy to tweek. My only issue is pedal board space and placement. The profile is very low, so I can not place it about my true bypass looper/strip. I either need to elevate the pedal or put it in it's own enclose with a true bypass looper. But it's well worth it.

10. LL1

LL1 Supporting Member

Yes the AR20DL. Keeps some clarity that some of the other analog delays lost with the bass. I was also trying to consider your price range and footprint size.

If you can do digital, and want a tape delay sound, try the Mad Pro DeepBlueDelay. You wont be disappointed.
    If you must have analog and want the analog sound, I would try AR20
    Althougth both are nice to have on board. :cool:

I would have liked to kept the G5,amazing vocoder sounds, but like yourself, it had trouble finding a home on the board due to size.
    I thought about the low profile problem of some other pedals too.... I was thinking of screwing a piece of wood to the pedalboard and then, velcro the pedal to the block of wood for a quick solution.