Diamond Tremolo vs Dr. SciEntist Tremolessence

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by therewillbehotcake, Jun 28, 2011.

1. therewillbehotcake

therewillbehotcake Member

Diamond tremolo vs ultimate Tremolessence. Which one?!?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I have the Diamond tremolo. I also have a Demeter Tremulator. The Demeter doesn't have tap and it isn't as versatile, but I think it sounds significantly better. It sounds to me like the Diamond degrades the signal a little bit. If I didn't need the Diamond's tap tempo for live stuff, the Demeter would be on my board.

3. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Never noticed any signal degradation with the diamond. The diamond has 4 waveforms, ramping and tap over the new tremolessence as i see it. If none of this matters to you get the Dr scientist

4. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk Silver Supporting Member

Over the last year, I've gone Supa-Trem > Diamond > Ultimate Tremoloessence.

This is also the order of tonal quality, with the Supa being the best IMO. Very subtle differences, as they all sound great, but the Supa has a mojo to it; it's the warmest but also has a feel that inspires you to push against it. I miss it. The other two have great features and ergos that have drawn me away, but the GAS pains remain. I'm thinking of going back to the Supa despite the funky shape.

5. therewillbehotcake

How does the Supa-Trem compare to the TR-2, tonally speaking? If I may add, it is highly possible that Dr. SciEntist took inspiration from Lightfoot Labs for their ultimate Tremolessence (proof: they favorited the latter on Facebook). Also, I never see people mention products like the CAJ Twin Tremolo around here.

6. therewillbehotcake

I thought the ultimate Tremolessence has tap tempo?

7. digiTED

That's the only feature it doesn't have! :)

Instead of tap, it has expression control of both rate and depth.

The Dr. Sci did bump the Diamond for me, but mostly for exp rate and less than half the width.

My comment above regarding relative tone quality should be read as 'Diamond and Dr. Sci are great, but the Supa is SUPER great". I've only messed with a TR-2 at guitarget, so I can't really comment.

Basically, all 3 are amazing musical tools and no one how has one is suffering.

8. digiTED

You're joking, right? Ryan (Dr. Sci) is one of the most original thinkers in the pedal FX world these days. If you're curious about his inspirations, just ask him. He's very friendly and candid. I'd avoid speculating based on tracking someone else's Facebook behavior ...

9. therewillbehotcake

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=911813

10. therewillbehotcake

Is The Cleanness supposed to be a clean boost or parametric equalizer?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  11. stewthom

stewthom Member

Actually the Tremolessence does have ramping, they just call it the Hold function. Similar feature, though.

12. digiTED

You can also adjust how quickly the ramp up happens, though I never missed that on the Diamond. The ramp-up felt good.

13. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i have owned and used both. i ended up keeping the diamond. it was a little easier to tweak on the fly. the dr scientist got a little futzy when you changed the 2 mini switches. they dramatically affected the other pedal settings. the diamond sounds fantastic and has some very cool features.

14. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Corrrct'd. I assumed hold was like the momentary setting on the diamond.

15. digiTED

It is, but you can dial in adjustable ramping to it as well. Pretty cool IMO.

16. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Supporting Member

I agree that the Diamond has good, smooth ramping. The Empress, which I used to have, ramped oddly fast or slow depending on your speed settings.

17. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

The better comparison would be the Diamond vs. the Empress. In which case, despite my Diamond Comp love, I prefer the Empress.

18. digiTED

Interesting. Did you ever do a demo comparison between the two, crxshdxmmy?

19. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I didn't sorry. FWIW though, while I was right at home with the control layout on the Empress because of my familiarity with the Superdelay, what really sold it was the rhythm options. It was pretty much a no-contest in that regard. And really, the only thing the Diamond had over it was the nifty killswitch sorta thing you can do... and the fact that it may have had a slight bit more "warmth" to it, but — and hear me — it wasn't drastic in any way and really shouldn't be something that anyone stands on as sufficient evidence for preferring one over the other. They both sounded awesome.

EDIT: The Diamond has one other waveshape too, IIRC.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  20. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I bought the Empress trem right after they came out, going on 4 yrs ago. I've not tried another trem since and don't have any gas.