Distortion for Blues Junior

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Trojan, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Trojan

Trojan Member

Need your expert opinions

Looking for a new distortion pedal to pair up with my Fender Humboldt Blues Jr

What do you guys recommend?

I've got a tubescreamer. Looking for something a bit more gainy to add to the pedal chain

cheers

2. lbj273

lbj273 Member

the best I ever heard an OCD was through a Blues Jr

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

The Blues Jr takes dirt really well, but I find that dirt pedals sound dirtier on the Jr. than on my Bassman. I had to pretty much double where the dirt knob was (ie, 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock). So medium gains might sound crunchier. I really like the Timmy, the Alpha worked really nicely after I took out the tone pot resistor and they stacked really well. TS stacks well with the Timmy. The Morning Glory was awesome too, but is really low gain (consequently, I got almost no distortion out of it on my Bassman). I didn't use any higher gain pedals with it, but I guess my point is that a medium gain might sound like a high gain if you want it to. Oh yea, the Lunar rocked too.

4. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Love Rats into Blues Jr.'s

5. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I liked that combo too w/ my Les Paul.

6. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

I really like a stock Blues Driver (at low Gain) for a clean boost/ very natural mild breakup with my Blues Jr (owned both for over 10 years and I just leave the pedal ON as it is dynamic and works well with guitar volume knob...). For a stronger overdrive w/o getting into pure distortion, I have had very good luck with a GC/ MXR Classic Overdrive which has a good "Tube Screamer grind", or a Barber Direct Drive for smoother OD. I run the Blues Jr. very clean with an efficient 120 watt Emi spkr and just leave the amp alone, prefer to adjust volume and dirt all from the pedals...

7. tonegangster

tonegangster Supporting Member

Tim pedal to bring out the subtleties and Zendrive for solos!!

8. Trojan

Trojan Member

Cheers guys for the replies

Will check out your recommendations

The OCD and Blues Driver sounds interesting

Would like to hear more suggestions

9. lbj273

lbj273 Member

thats because the Alpha without the resistor on the tone pot is essentially an OCD ;)

10. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Lol, not quite. I was never a fan of the OCD, but I heard a forumite playing at a bar using a Gibson Thinline and a Maz 18 and it sounded great - sounded like an Alpha!

11. lbj273

lbj273 Member

the Joyo Ultimate OD is an OCD...

12. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Yep and I thought the joyo clips sounded worse than the OCD (obviously just clips). I dont know enough about electronics, but looking at the schematics, there are a number of other changes between Joyo UD / OCD and the Alpha aside from the tone pot resistor.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks Member

you missed the party huh

14. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Nope I was there. Funny thing is Ken asked me a favor right before it came out, and I was on a waiting list with one of his dealers/retailers. When (bout 2 weeks after) it came out, he dealer/retailer asked me to summarize everything when I asked for a refund and to be taken off the waiting list. He hadn't heard and was blown away, refunded me immediately and canceled his checks to Ken.

I got one second hand because I still think it sounds great, but did not want to send my money directly to Ken (at least until his formal apology, which never seems to have happened?). I was thinking about selling it for a Wampler Ecstasy until I took out the tone pot resistor, which was apparently originally Analogman's advice. It sounds great now, still debating about if I need it or not, but its a keeper for the time being.

15. mbargav

mbargav Member

FDII sounds great with a Blues Jr.

16. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  17. Trojan

Trojan Member

Thanks for your imputs gents

18. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Nice! I should be getting a used Barber Direct Drive tomorrow, and I'm getting psyched to pair it up with my BJ or my old Deluxe Reverb- Great OD! I owned one before but sold it as I needed the $$- not gonna let that happen again- I Hope! ;)

19. lbj273

lbj273 Member

thats because its a mashup of the OCD versions similar to how the Dano Drive was, not a straight clone of any particular version

back on topic, I also really like the Vox Satchurator into the BJ for a smooth lead tone, the problem is it sucks for rhythm. Another one to look into is the Marshall Guv'nor, the original one or a clone of the original not the crappy sounding one thats out there right now.

20. iurod

iurod Member

I have a fender blues junior texas red special and the best overdrives I've paired with it have been:

BJFE Dyna Red
    BJFE Honey Bee
    Timmy (although some don't like the timmy-fender combo, I think it sounds great!)
    Basic Tube Screamer

The Bjfe's are expensive and have long waiting list, I would try out the more economically Bear Foot ones for experimentation.