Do Jensen Neo 12s sound 'off' or to hi-fi?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Webfoot, Aug 30, 2011.

1. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer

Sounds good. I've always been worried about the Jensen Neos being too strident, seems like everyone is saying they're actually on the darker side.

2. terrapin

terrapin Supporting Member

Not to steal this thread, but wanna trade one of those Neo's for a Celestion G12H-70th Anniversary like new with box? PM me if interested.

3. benderman

benderman Member

Last year I loaded my 65 RI Twin with a pair of the Jensen Neo 12's and I have'nt looked back.They sound great clean or dirty,the lows are big and fat without being muddy or wooly,mids are sweet and warm no mid high spike with these babies,top end is very sweet with no ice-pick.

4. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

I am not a fan of the Jensen Neo, and I prefer flat response non colored speakers. EV12ML is my favorite, followed closely Eminence Deltalite II 2512 which is a Neo speaker. The Eminence has become my go to speaker for playing live, and weighs 7 lbs. I can soundly recommend it over any Neo speaker I have played. I have them in 1x12 Thiele cabs, 2x12 Whitebox Cab, and Mills Cab 4x12. Neos have gotten pretty pricey though over the last year.

5. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Supporting Member

I have a Jensen Tornado in my '64 non-reverb Deluxe and love it.
    The tight low end more than anything.
    I've used half dozen premium speakers in this amp and prefer the Jensen over all of them, including a JBL D120f.

6. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

I wouldn't say they are dark speakers at all, but they are definitely not harsh at all. Very neutral rather than rolled off or spiked.

7. zoooombiex

Interesting. I compared the EVM12L and the Jensen Neo and found them extremely similar. I have two identical 2x12 cabs and loaded one with nice old broken in 12Ls (that was my gigging cab for a few months and it sounded great). Then after my back started to complain I got some Neo's and loaded them in the other cab to try out. I played around for quite a while with a box flipping back and forth and found that there were only minor differences between them, and those differences could easily be altered just by cab placement.

I was honestly quite shocked, as I didn't expect the little, light neo to be able to put out the kind of bass and range as the big, heavy EV, but that was my honest conclusion. I switched to using the Neo cab live and have been just as happy with the tone as before, only now I can lift the cab with two fingers...

Now, the Neo's aren't bombproof like the EV's, so I wouldn't expect the Neo's to hold up as well with heavy touring or something like that. They are more like an ordinary guitar speaker and nothing really beats the EV in that department. But I'm pretty careful with my gear and that's not really a concern at this point since I'm just playing around town... If I were touring and had someone to haul my gear I might go back to the EV's but it would be for reliability rather than any tonal differences.

Also, used Neo's run about $90... hard to complain about that price.

Just my experience of course...

8. Ampegasaur

Ampegasaur Silver Supporting Member

211.95 is the list price currently, and the cheapest I saw them was 137.95. Neo speakers have gone really high, and change constantly because the magnets have become popular for high end electronics batteries and such. Stinks. Used they can be cheaper for sure. I have tried the Celestion century, Jensen Neo, several Eminence Neo models, and have given up on them, because the tone always sounded off to me. The Deltalite has been the only Neo that sounds right to me. There may be others, but have not found one yet.

9. zoooombiex

I guess $140 still seems cheap to me for a new speaker (and $90 used definitely seems cheap). Maybe I'm too used to paying $200+ for alnico's and ASW's :)

To each his own though on the tone :beer

10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Member

I had a CRex in my Clark DR Clone. After about a year or so, I replaced it with a C12K, which is much better. The CRex is very nice, but you lose the sparkle you're supposed to get with these blackface amps. After putting in the C12K, I realized why my amp didn't really sound like a great blackface amp. Now it does. I haven't tried a neo, though I would like to.

Don't believe it when people say the C12K isn't a good speaker. It is -- if you like blackface tone.

11. jmonk99

jmonk99 Supporting Member

I have a Neo 12/100 8 ohm listed in the Emporium. As you can tell from the post here it's a great speaker