Do you ever run more than one distortion/OD pedal on at the same time?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Yossi, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Yossi

Yossi Gold Supporting Member

Now that my distortion and OD pedals are starting to accumulate I was wondering how others use multiple distortion / overdrive pedals.
    Are you picking one at a time or are you mixing multiple pedals at the same time? If so, what do you use together?

2. thisfire

thisfire Member

I like stacking low/mid-gain ODs, but anything high gain or compressed normally sounds terrible when combined with anything else. The boost side of the King of Tone into my LP Eternity can sound like a dream if they're set right, but sometimes stacking them makes the signal over-compressed and trebly...and a bit noisier :dude

3. Bantha

Bantha Member

I stack my Keeley 808 and my Timmy. Sometimes I will boost my Landgraff Do with the Timmy as well.

4. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

if you run one cleaner overdrive into a distortion/another od which is more distorted (set hotter) that can sound kool, it can sound better than an overdrive and a clean boost. I like having two ods and a clean boost which gives me alot of options.

AJ

5. Dale

Dale Member

I like stacked sounds as well. It is an experiment for me.

6. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I have a Barber Small Fry (this run clean to simulate hums on a tele) into an OCD, into a Zendrive, into a Barber LTD, and will use them in various combinations.

gb

7. Birddog

Birddog Member

I'll often run my FDR-1 (a much maligned pedal on this board, but a very good one IMO) for rhythm and punch in either BD-2 or Bad Monkey (depending on which is on my board at the time) on top of it for smooth, higher gain solos on classic rock or blues songs.

For HIGH gain rock stuff, I use my Guv'nor 2 and have not had any luck stacking anything with it without inordinate amounts of noise. It has enough gain/punch on its own. I've tried many combinations, but that one seems to like to play alone.

8. vinney57

vinney57 Member

Stock RAT - Keeley RAT - GT500. All at low gain; lots of different colours to be had.

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Only recently have I started trying the stacking game, but I'm learning. At first it was because I was trying to find the right od texture for my Microvibe, but later on I was using one overdrive pedal to smooth out the inconsistencies of another.
    Basically, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to stack od pedals, then it pays to start with an overdrive or od/booster that has a great (and flat/transparent) EQ. Then if you have another overdrive, distortion, or fuzz that lacks bass or treble, or needs presence or maybe a clean boost, you can run that into the one with the good EQ and fix whatever issues there might be. That's what I use my Throbak Overdrive Boost for, but it works magic all by itself if need be. To me, that is also a must for a stacker worthy pedal (it should still be quite usable on it's own). As far as I'm concerned, stacking should be used to make a good pedal sound better, not to make an unusable pedal usable.
    The OCD can stack well too. But I'm usually trying to tailor it's EQ more to my taste. Still decent on it's own, though, especially if your amp is up nice and loud.

10. abovethewave

abovethewave Supporting Member

my TIM is always on. I combo my Eternity into both the normal side and the Boost side with awesome results. the TIM has fantastic EQ controls, but I also have Barb EQ in TIMs effects loop. super flexible for many situations.

11. wren

wren Member

My Boss OD2 is practically always on as a boost, and I use a Keeley MT2 as my main distortion. Then I use my Big Muff at almost minimum gain (after the OD2, before the Keeley) as a lead boost/"sludge-ifyer" (when appropriate), and an Indyguitarist Sputter Fuzz to really screw things up when I feel the need. I have a Pro Tone Body Rot II on the way to me right now. I've had a love/hate relationship with the Keeley MT2 forever, loving the liquidity of the distortion but hating the stupid amount of noise and the unusably spiky mid knob, so we'll have to see how the Body Rot fits into all of that and what it can replace. Ideally I'd like to be able to ditch both the Keeley and the Big Muff and let the Body Rot play a role that is somewhere in between, but I don't expect that to happen. I'll just do the shuffle and sell off whatever I don't like, I guess. :)

Sorry, I kinda went off there. Oh, and I also use an Ibanez AW7 (auto-wah with fuzz built in) quite often, and only occasionally these days an SB7 as well.

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Yes. Usually for leads I kick on my Keeley FuzzHead on top of whatever I'm using for rhythm on my regular board. Set right it is never too much and sounds very natural and retains dynamics.
    Best Regards!

13. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Boosts, ODs, distortions, fuzzes, I'll turn them all on at once. I mean, why does a dog lick his privates???

Seriously, one of my fave stacks is a Fuzz Face into a Big Muff. Now that's a bodacious lead tone...

14. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Of course. Doesn't everyone?

15. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Not a fan of stacking distortions. I feel one pedal has it's own unique flavor that's appealing to me; that's the reason I bought it in the first place. Stacking dirt sounds dirty (in a bad way) to me.

Now boosting/EQ'ing dirt or dirtying up some boost is a little different but most of the time, I'm only using one flavor of dirt.

16. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

Dang, I thought I was the only one that did that...

Turning them all on at once, I mean... not licking my privates. :D

17. Rob Eadgbe

Rob Eadgbe Member

I tend to run a low gain overdrive (Timmy, Zendrive, Sparkledrive, OD808, ect.) into a Dist/OD pedal set for medium gain (ie. BB Preamp, Keeley Rat, Crunchbox with the gain set low) to get the saturation I need for a smooth sustainy lead tone. I then boost the volume with an RC Booster.

18. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I don't really like stacking. I've done a lot of the suggested stacks on this board and never been happy with the sound. Of course I've never had BJF pedals to stack but I think I'll stick with one OD at a time. :)

19. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

There's one particularly fuzz-laden song in our set where I run through all the dirt boxes on my board (one for each verse and chorus!). I usually have at least two on for the solo, and then for the big finish I turn them all on. My board looks like a Christmas tree with all the different colored LEDs lit up... :dude

20. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've run a Timmy as my OD and RC Booster as a straight clean boost. Does that count?