D'Pergo vs DeTemple

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Demioblue, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Are there any discernable differences in build philosophies? I would believe that both are fantastic options, and either builder would be enough to satisfy a uber-high-end strat craving.

What would the main differences be that makes someone choose either one?

Any current owners care to share?

2. DWB1960

DWB1960 Member

:jo

3. tejastubes

tejastubes Supporting Member

Is it fair to ask the OP if he has contacted and spoken with both builders first about what their respective build philosphies are, rather than having the end users on TGP express what they think the "discernable differences in build philosophies" are?

I love my D'Pergo limited, BTW.

4. madstrat

madstrat Member

this wont end well

5. Thor

Thor Silver Supporting Member

No, problably not.

So, before things head off in a ditch, I would like to agree with the post above that suggests giving a call to each of the two buliders. They are both capable and dedicated. I have a D'Pergo AVC and love it dearly. My experice with the D'Pergo team was also outstanding. I don't have any first hand experience with DeTemple, but his work is generally held in very high regard as well.

IIRC wait times on a DeTemple are about 2 years last I checked and D'Pergo less than half if that makes a difference for you.

Happy hunting and I hope that you are able to pick up the guitar of your dreams.

-Edward

6. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

:hide

-db

7. JZWest

JZWest Member

why does it have to be "vs"?

8. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Why is this not a fair question? Seems like if you can't ask this here, then there's nowhere you can ask it.

I'd think this is EXACTLY why this forum was created.

9. R13D

R13D Member

:munch

10. Joe F

Joe F Member

Both are a level of quality that is very high. Both do a lot of in house part fabrication.

DeTemple leans a bit more toward a refined version of the original although he is not afraid to option things like the titanium parts. He sees no issue with areas of improvement.

D'Pergo is not that far off from how it was back in the day either (compared to many guitar builders) but he does go a step further than DeTemple. He incorporates aged/recovered wood into his builds much more and suggests it to customers often and considers it and the way he specifically chooses the wood to be a diferentiating factor of his instruments (= he does not just buy old wood, he really has a passion, level of knowledge in this and has good partners he works with who really know their stuff on the subject). His hardware options can be very close to vintage (but with improvements in tolerances), or a bit more of a modern take (brass saddles, more hefty plate designs with more mass), and some on-board electronics (option). He has the nice ergonomic heel joint too.

I think it comes down to which builders makes the guitar you want, and honestly - who you just gell with. I know people seem nervious about threads involving D'Pergo, and I actually am out of the loop on that (and really don't want to be in it to be honest). I discovered him in 2004, have talked to him many times, respect his genuine passion for what he does, respect his skills and the skills of those he employs, and would recommend him. I have 3 of his bridges (this is back when he sold hardware, he does not do this anymore) and they are beyond perfectly made - they are the work of someone with competence, talent, and who really cares.

Having said that, I went with neither - my guitars have some things about them that really are off the beaten path and I found someone who is lower profile but who was more passionate about doing something weird.

11. serviviente7

serviviente7 Supporting Member

ok before they close this tread i will give my simple opinion. Excellent builders BUT their products are overated. There only so much "massage" and "mojo" you can put in a build. I can go on and on. I respect them both but there is a lot of "selling" going into those guitars. Ok let the bricks fall>>>

12. donostia13

donostia13 Member

Boy do I agree.

I've reread the original post and find it to be honest enough. By the way, if everything is equal just different, and there is nothing superior to anything else, then why don't we all just play Hello Kitty Strats?

13. Fuzzhead66

Fuzzhead66 Senior Member

It's a viable question and all... But it's been covered a million times and
    it tends to get ugly. There's a ton of info on both if you use the search function
    in this forum. I'm sure the guys here can help you find some of the threads for reference.

14. Joe F

Joe F Member

there were two other really good points made: one is lead time. the other is cost. both are hard to quantify if you really want one. You can get quality guitars for less and for less wait (althout I think DeTemple's is much longer than D'Pergo), but you probably already knew that.

15. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

Whoa... Hang on here... I'm not asking for a direct side by side comparison to say "this one's better" or whatever. Both seem to have beautiful creations, and I think honestly, no one can go wrong with either.

I just wanted to know from their respective end product owners, who you chose, and why. i've spoken with some builders (though not for strat-like guitars, but more for LP styled stuff) and chose Schroeder Guitars for a nice build that's beginning in about a month or so (I think). I'm eyeing a strat sort, and would like to see builders who do complete custom jobs (like speccing the neck out to what I want it to be, and not have to choose from a fixed group of specs). On that note, does John Suhr do custom neck jobs like that?

This is not about a playground brawl to say "mine is faster than yours, so there!" or anything else like it. It's meant to be a mature discussion of builders. Why did I pick these 2? because I'd say that these 2 so far have appealed to me the most visually so far. Simply that. I've seen Detemple build videos where the neck and the body were so tightly joined (without screwing anything in yet) that it was amazing how precise his craftsmenship is.

I'd like to see what the D'Pergo side would be like.

No, I've not contacted any of the 2 builders, as this is still in a very pre-mature stage, and I don't want to waste their time talking to me and not having it come of anything until I'm more certain. And in some cases, some builders I spoke to weren't all that interested to go into details until I had placed some form of a deposit, which I think is understandable.

Furthermore, the best advertising for any company comes from their end users. That's why I asked here, where it's supposed to have a multitude of collectors/players, with as objective a perception as can be.

Joe, thank you for this. It's interesting to note how each builder approaches their builds with different methods, but most churn out fantastic products.

I'm especially enamoured of the way the D'Pergo contours are meant to make the guitar fit your body better. The Detemples seem to be a little more traditional, with great attention focused on the build and the wood, rather than ergonomics. I'm actually looking for all 3 qualities in my choice build. Wood choice, ergonomics and build quality. I've not seen D'Dergos with things like BRW, qtrsawn flame maple necks etc etc, or are those options as well?

16. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Gold Supporting Member

To answer your question about Suhr - yes John Suhr will do whatever neck you want. They will copy an existing neck if you wish, or modify any of the many profiles they offer.
    I would highly recommend Suhr over the others you mention, simply because I believe you can get exactly what you want in far less time, for substantially less money, and they really have some fantastic options others do not offer.

I am not connected to Suhr in any manner except as a happy customer.

17. Demioblue

Demioblue Member

That's good news. I did see this on their "custom guitars" section, but I've also heard contradicting advice from some "would-be" dealers here in Singapore that claimed they carried Suhr as a distributorship.

The only reason why I didn't consider Suhr for sch a guitar, is mainly because Every Suhr I've tried did't work for me. Though those were mainly Pro Series guitars and the Modern. I am very tempted by the Suhr Carve-Top sans EMGs. Thanks for this. I might have to pay closer attention to this brand after all, though Suhrs seem to be less adventurous on the ergonomics front. Again, that's from the sad (little) experience I have with them, mainly on Pros.

18. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Gold Supporting Member

Contact them via email or phone, and simply explain what you are looking for and they can tell you what they can do. I know in my own experience they really will go pretty far to do what you want as far as neck carve, radius, frets, nut width, taper, etc. They offer a ton of options, and if you ask for something not offered they will almost always do it anyway, as long as the request doesn't hurt the stability or function of the guitar.
    I know they will even scan any neck you send them and duplicate the carve.

I recommend Suhr enthusiastically because they are one of the few companies that will literally build you another guitar if your order somehow doesn't work for you or if any spec isn't just right.

19. mslugano

mslugano Supporting Member

To the OP, I'm with Matt. While I have frequently had both D'Pergo and DeTemple GAS (and I still do!), I can't justify 2-3 times the wait at 2-3 times the price of a Suhr Classic Custom. Maybe someday I will. In the meantime, Suhrs play amazing, you can have anything built to your specs (even your choice of headstocks!) and the customer service is far better than most.

I have no doubt the D'Pergos and DeTemples are fantastic in every way, too, but two or three times better?? You could even add all sorts of titanium saddles and blocks to a Suhr and still come in $thousands less.

Again to the OP, FWIW, I wouldn't draw conclusions about Suhr based on Pros and Moderns, by the way. They are completely different animals.

20. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Both great but absolutely no excuse not to be perfect at the price point. I'll take a Suhr and a few thousand dollars over either and the Suhr is just as good (Better IMO.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.