DRRI or Princeton style amp in head version?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kleydj13, Mar 18, 2010.

1. kleydj13

kleydj13 Supporting Member

I'm looking to buy a new amp and really enjoy the Fender mid sized 6V6 amps. I really would prefer to have a head to a combo and I'm wondering if someone else makes something that would meet my wishes? What's out there? My budget is under $800, I have a PRS C24, and I play blues, rock, and worship music. Thanks.

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I'm not sure anyone is making them in a complete version but you can buy a PR or DR chassis and head cabinet. Chicken Pickin Amps will sell you a completed chassis and there is also someone on ebay selling them. Mojotone has PR and DR head cabinets. The chassis will run somewhere around $725+ and the cabs are $200+ so somewhat out of your budget but it's all I know of. Hope that helps.

Oh actually you could buy either a DRRI or PRRI for under $600 used, put the chassis and reverb in one of the Mojo Tone head cabs for a total of around $800 and sell the PRRI or DRRI cabinet and speaker for maybe $100 or so. Maybe a bit more work that way but it would do the trick.

3. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Frenzel?

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Member

You can also leave the combo alone and plug another cabinet into the speaker output. I've done that with my DRRI. I'd rather have a "real" head, but I like the portability of the combo, so I'll leave it as it is.

5. kleydj13

kleydj13 Supporting Member

I was looking up Frenzel as I've never heard of his work and I was really impressed. It really seems to be what I'm looking for. I emailed him with some questions and got a really quick and informative response. The sound clips have been impressive, and what's more well-known than a 5E3 circuit? Also a price tag around $600 is really nice!

6. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

Allen Sweet spot - there is a head version...
    Almost exactly like a Princeton reverb...except more headroom, capability to use 6L6 tubes, bright switch, middle tone control..I have heard nothing but good things about this amplifier.