Dual Survival... Anyone watching?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CrackTheSkye, Jan 1, 2013.

1. CrackTheSkye

CrackTheSkye Supporting Member

Tonight begins the new season of Dual Survival. Hasn't been on in a year or so. There is a season preview on right now which introduces the new guy. Apparently Dave Canterbury is out this season but I'm not sure why he didn't come back. I enjoyed him on the show and how he and Cody Lundin butted heads most of the time. I'm sure the preview explained what happened but I missed more than half of it. From the 10-15 minutes I've seen, the new guy Joseph Teti looks as equally as entertaining and as opposite to Cody as Dave did.

Anyone else watching?

2. LDS22

LDS22 Member

cool show. new dude is intense

3. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

Got it on now. What happened to Dave Canterbury - fired?

D

4. Pickin4Jesus

Pickin4Jesus Member

He misrepresented himself and was fired.

5. CrackTheSkye

6. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

I'm surprised that it wasn't discovered sooner. :messedup

D

7. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

Dave was a bit of hot head and did some dumb stuff on that show like the Bee incident which I thought was really stupid on his part.

8. dleuen

dleuen Member

I just watched. I like the new guy. Great replacement for Dave. Should be a fun season to watch.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Its an entertaining show, and of the "wilderness survival" reality-shows, I think this is probably the best.

JUST BE SURE you all understand, it is NOT instructional. It's too bad. I would WAY prefer to see folks doing it "for real" and showing in detail how they make a shelter, make cordage, different types of fires to make, etc.

But they gloss over pretty much. It seems to be "instructional" but isn't. It's pure entertainment.

10. John II

John II Member

Love the show. Slow glad it is back though I think I prefer Dave.

11. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Supporting Member

I liked Dave, but am willing to give Joe a try. The drinking urine part of the show was interesting...I'm with Cody if it means I don't have to do it.

12. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

i watched it last night and I dunno, it was pretty boring. The guy drinking pee was pretty dumb as he wasnt even thirsty yet. They had about 3.5 gallons of water they drank in less than 2 days. :huh like he said he wasnt drinking it to hydrate, he wanted to swallow somewthing wet. :omg

Then all the jokes about being inside a butt crack, wanting to drink urine from the tap, morning wood, etc; made the guy that was too quick to want to cuddle even more creepy.

and its hard to take the guy seriously when he wont put shoes on. He was walking so gingerly he held the other guy up. Thats not what you want in a survival situation. the first thing I would do is make shoes.

and to fire the other guy because Discovery is worried about authenticity? They should fire everyone from Amish Mafia then.

13. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

They are queued up to record tomorrow. After reading of Dave being a liar, I was relieved he was replaced.

Some thoughts from this thread:
    1) it's gives direction not instruction which is what you need in survival situations since you likely will need to improvise to get the job done and you cannot instruct improvisation
    2) you drink before you thirst

I'm no expert and nor did I stay in a holiday inn express or whatever the hotel is in the commercial in fact I slept on an air mattress last night and gave the in-laws our bed, but anyway... When hiking, backpacking, etc, you learn about alot of the concepts they talk about on the show (improvise, mindset, multi usages of assets, etc) and I find it very interesting! This show and the Brit guy have shown a few different ways to make solar stills which is really interesting!

14. CrackTheSkye

I enjoyed last nights episode and look forward to the others as entertainment purposes and may pick up a few tips here and there but even Cody Lundin has said to take these survival shows with a grain of salt and never rely on them for actual survival scenarios. He said, (paraphrased of course) that Just because you watch football on TV doesn't make you a football player. Same goes for survival shows.

I think the new guy is even crazier than Dave and will bring much more conflict to the show between him and Cody as opposed to Cody and Dave. And I can't wait to watch :)

15. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Gold Supporting Member

If its not Les Stroud, I'm not watching.

16. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Supporting Member

Yeah, Les Stroud is the only one of the bunch who doesn't look like a big fake dipshit -- but at least Dual Survival makes for a good drinking game. Any time anyone mentions, or you see a shot of, Cody's feet... imbibe. And Cody's nowhere nearly as irritating as Bear Grylls or the "operator" with the fake name and fake voice on the show with his wife.

I suspect that Dave's fraud was "discovered" when it was no longer easy to overlook. I doubt anyone who spends much time with that guy would have any illusions about his "expertise."

17. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Just watched the teaser episode. Looks good to me. I am looking forward to the new season.

18. CrackTheSkye

I've got a question and hope someone can answer.

When they find people at the end or get picked up (the rescue), is this prearranged or are they coming up on random people?

If the latter, I'd think that they'd appear threatening coming out of the woods, bush, etc... towards these people. Especially when they appear carrying home made weapons, actual weapons, etc...

19. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Pre-arranged, especially the South Africa one. It's a reality show...

20. CrackTheSkye

I got that... But sometimes they pop out on someone who looks native so it had me wondering but I'm guessing that's just for show.