1. We're aware of the search issues and are rebuilding the indexes. This will probably take a few hours. Thanks for your patience.

Duesenberg Pomona-6 palm-bar fun

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by fatback, Feb 9, 2009.

1. fatback

fatback Member

I just got me hands on a Pomona 6 lap steel from Duesenberg and have been having a blast getting aquainted with the two palm benders that it comes set up with.

I'm still waiting on two different tone-bars I have on order and can't wait to get started sliding. In the meantime, here's a vid of me playing around with some harmonics as I get a feel for the benders.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3836678875046575100&hl=en

The Pomona is in open E with the B-bar set for a whole step and the G-bar set for a half step. One of the cool things with the bridge design is that you can assign up to three bars accross any of the upper five strings. Once I get more comfortable with the bars, (and playing lap steel for that matter,) I'll have to explore some other tunings. I'm really enjoying the challenge of a new instrument these days.

Now it's time to gorge myself on some David Lindley and Jerry Douglas Youtube vids...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

That was my absolute favorite thing I saw at NAMM this year. Major Pomona-Lust happening here...

3. Shane S

Shane S Member

That is great Fatback. I saw the Pomona at the 2008 NAMM show and have be looking to get one ever since. I have only seen one really for sale at (TGP and dealers) and the guy wanted more than SRP for it.... Hopefully they start rolling into stores real soon.

4. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

remarkable---very nice!!!

5. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Very nice - these caught my eye as well. Great alternative to lugging a pedal steel to shows.

6. splatt

splatt Gold Supporting Member

killer!
    i def want one.
    dt / spltrcl

7. KRosser

KRosser Member

What is the 'price point'? Couldn't find it on their site.

Great demo!

8. Shane S

Shane S Member

SRP is $2200

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

There's a pantload of engineering in that guitar - the integrated capo alone is beautifully conceived and executed, and the palm levers are beyond hip. It's not your daddy's lap steel - not just a chunk of mahogany or limba with a set of tuners, a bridge, a painted fretboard and a pickup. If they're charging $2200 for it, I can see why.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Definitely. I wanted to order one for the shop I used to work at, but couldn't convince folks that it would move very quickly. A shame, as I really wanted to mess around with it.

11. Bryan T

I got a call from my Westwood Music today. They finally got one of these in. I think it might be spoken for, but you two should check it out.

Bryan

12. KRosser

KRosser Member

Not sure I can get out way anytime soon - but thanks!

13. splatt

splatt Gold Supporting Member

thanks, b!
    i'd gotten a heads-up on the westwood delivery
    from the dude at duesenberg;
    i also don't know when i'll be able to modulate
    from the current key of cave-ness.....
    dayum!
    dt / spltrcl

14. Bryan T

So, how are these lap steels working out for you guys?

15. fatback

fatback Member

I'm still getting the hang of mine. The main adjustment is right hand positioning/muting since the benders keep you from resting your palm right against the saddles. I'm also getting used to using a tone bar instead of a slide. It's slow going, but a lot of fun.

One of the Pomona's features that doesn't work very well for me is the reduced throw tone pot. I may replace it with a normal pot since I'm already used to doing tone swells on my tele. The only other thing I may do down the line is throw one of TV Jones' hotter pickups in the bridge.

I should also mention that the Pomona really likes to be used with a compressor. I've been using a Celmo Sardine Can comp with very good results.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  16. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Supporting Member

God my girlfriend is going to kill me when I blow 2200 bucks on that thing. FML.

17. ddpphoto

ddpphoto Member

Slightly off subject, anyone tried one of these? Duesenberg Double Cat with Multibender:

[​IMG]

Looks very cool.

18. BuddyPo'

BuddyPo' Member

Hey Fatback...I just got my Pom yesterday and played for hours last night. This is one fun and interesting instrument. I've played open E tunings over the years and while rusty I found myself finding some great voicings outside the standard I_IV_V and bluesy stuff. I will likely try to explore open E for awhile since this instrument begs for it.

I also am not use to this slide bar but the sounds were getting me comfortable pretty quickly. You are right about the compressor. I plugged into my Keeley and was hearing 'Lindley like' sounds rolling out of the speaker.

I've been reading up on lapsteels. I think the Pomona is 25.5 scale which apparently isn't as forgiving as the smaller scales. I noticed as I go up the neck that bar has to be very precise but could mostly be my lack of technique.

What is that knob farthest from the pickups...is that for swells? If so, it sure is in a horrible place...that might be my main gripe. Also, the information sheet provided says that the bender bars can be moved out of the way. I wasn't seeing that unless I missed something.

After I get comfortable with this I want to try a C6 tuning. I saw the following one highly recommended. FGACEG

I'm pretty impressed with the tone of these pickups but I could see where a little more grind might be nice. The level adjustment on the comp was generally providing enough of that for me. I can imagine something like a Lollar Chicago Steel taking this to a whole other place.

Anyway, thanks...this is all your fault...
    Buddy

19. fatback

fatback Member

Congrats on the new steel Buddy. Keep us updated if you make any changes to it. :)

20. zookroo1

zookroo1 Member

Cool stuff. Thanks for the video!