Dumble Ultra Phonix mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimH, Feb 6, 2011.

1. TimH

TimH Member

Hey all,

This mod was mentioned in another post last week. I'm just curious to know what info is out there about this mod. Anyone have info as to what it is and how it sounds?

2. Billion81

Billion81 I don't buy cheeba, I grow it. Gold Supporting Member

send a PM to Voodoosound. Rob knows that amp mod and has even had one or two.

3. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Not sure the details but it sounds sick. One of the best if not the best I have ever heard/played through.

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

I had a bandmaster or bassman with that mod and it sounded good to me. Wasn't like it blew me away just sounded like a really great old fender with a bit more grind on tap.

It did have lots of neat anti pirate stuff inside. Handwritten little plaque embedded in some blue goop.

5. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Theres a difference between the "mod" and the ground up builds but either have been far superior to anything I have owned.. I own 4 (a bandmaster, Showman, Marshall trem and a JMP) of the ground up builds which is why I sold every other "dumble" clone I had including Bludo, Glaswerks, Two Rock, Brownnote. They sound like nothing else. When you push them into overdrive they still retain a great singing thick but defined tone. NO clone I have had (and I have had more than most) has done that.

But thats just my experience.

6. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

Is it a standard mod or little different for each one? Reason I ask is b/c when I hear the mod described by different owners or players they mention different things. I.e. Does the normal/bass channel become an overdrive channel?

7. voodoosound

It depends on the amp. As far as fenders the clean channel is pretty much the same sound (big smooth and Ultra responsive) at least from the examples I have and own. On the Bandmaster the vibrato channel has the gain voicing which allows it to overdrive a little quicker and more wild than the normal. But the normal will still overdrive as well. The showman pretty much the same. While the marshalls are el34 they sound and respond like 6l6s until you push them and then they get real wild overdrive with the same characteristics as the 6l6 amps but just more. It is really impossible to dial in an unpleasing sound on any of the amps.

8. Steve Snider

When I refer to mod, I am referring to in a fender chassis as he still used the trannies I believe. The one I had was recently in Mayers Rig. Good amp.

9. TimH

TimH Member

so this simply refers to an amp that dumble used the parts from (chassis, perhaps trannys etc) to build one of his amps in/from similar to how Fuchs was doing this?

10. voodoosound

Yes. Steve yours was most likely a ground up build as well. Even the ones he did at truetone while they were called mods were actually kind of like what Andy Fuchs does. Gutting the amp and rebuilding it. Sometimes using the same trannies sometimes not. I had a Bassman that had twin iron in it that was done at trutone. Double board huge solder pools the works. Alexs work is easy to spot and easy to tell the difference from other peoples work.

11. voodoosound

The term "mod" yes. Ultraphonix is a particular vocing and gain that he does to specific amps which post dates all of his ODS circuits. I prefer these amps over my original ODS as well.

12. Steve Snider

Good stuff no doubt.

13. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

Rob, thanks for jumping in here with the info; Good stuff!

14. trap

trap Supporting Member

How many watts was the bandmaster??

15. voodoosound

40-46 whatever a bandmaster is rated at. It sounds like a 100 watt though how Alex builds them.

16. traviswalk

traviswalk Back in the Great State Gold Supporting Member

The one I have both heard and played is the best I've ever played for my style, huge, beautiful cleans with single coils and then the thickest, fullest, most balanced overdrive with humbuckers.

17. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

do the bassman versions of this amp still run at 4 ohms?

18. SBlue

SBlue Member

The UltraPhonix Alexander built for me is the best amp I have. And I have quite a few.
    Mine is a Dual Showman, and it's UltraPhonix with "Gain" on the Normal channel and "Fat Boy Tremolo".
    Not only the amp sound is incredible, but playing one at real volume, read "not bedroom", it's an experience every decent person should go through in a life time.
    The way the amp respond to the touch, the way the feedback is musical, the way the amp sustains, and the way it respond to pedals.
    It's just magical.

19. bettset

bettset Member

any way to post some clips :munch

20. SBlue

SBlue Member

There's another thread with a youtube video of a Ultra-phonix.
    Great video, by the way.

Here is the best and most accurate review of an Ultra-Phonix. How do I know? Here is talking about my two amps. Sadly this was before I got the Rock-Phonix mod to another amp... would love his detailed review on this one too.

"I wanted to drop in with a couple of brief reviews of two Dumble modded Fender amps a good friend of mine was gracious enough to let me play extensively. A BIG thanks goes out to him.

One is a Dual Showman head with the "Ultra Phonix Mod" and the other is a Bassman mod Dumble calls "La Tostada".

******************Disclaimer******************
    I have limited playing experience with the un-modified versions of the two amps and I was not allowed inside any of the two.

Ultra Phonix:

The "Vibrato" channel (which is actually amplitude modulation rather than pitch) is the clean side of the amp but gets a slight breakup when cranked. This channel takes effects very well and practically anything we threw at it sounded good. Sounds like the classis Fender clean but just...more! From what I understand the Tremolo was modified as well and it sounds very quiet and no audible tick can be heard from the LFO even at very high volumes.

The "Normal" channel has been converted to the overdrive channel and in my opinion this channel is scary good. The volume control sets the amount of gain and volume. It's fairly unlike the overdrive on an ODS in that it has a rawer more raspy sound, great for classic rock power chord galore. But the real magic happens when the Volume is on 10 (doesn't it always!). The sound gets absolutely HUGE and signal-to-noise ratio is beyond phenomenal. If I stopped playing I could have sworn there was a noise gate in there, it was that quiet and I'm not exaggerating one bit. Also, the amp had an unearthly way of producing controlled feedback. Every note played would sustain indefinitely and even chords! The feedback would retain the note played without running away with a crazy harmonic, again, even on chords. A particularly cool way I liked playing this channel was to pedal an open note, have it feedback and then play stuff over it! Although sometimes, when I played a particularly disonant chord I could hear some swichy inter-mod-type sounds emanating from the speakers but I didn't think it was ugly.

La Tostada:

4x10 Bassman with Jensen P-10R speakers. This amp really shone with a humbucker equipped guitar. Cleans were very sparkly even on the normal channel but always retained a thick low-end that really filled the room. One thing that took me by surprise was how interactive and versatile the EQ was on this amp. We really had to spend some time dialing this one in to a sound that suited the room and guitar.

The overdrive on La Tostada is, of course more Marshall-like than the Ultra-Phonix and the available gain on the Tostada was in the same ballpark as the U-Phonix as well. Absolutely brilliant on huge power chords and rock music in general. The amp never got muddy and the individual strings could be heard clearly through distorted passages. Also, a very quiet amp even at full bore.

Although the Tostada was a great amp, I really though the Ultra-Phonix was the one to beat. It had that "something" that inspired me to just play and at that point, dare I say, I didn't give a damn what was inside the amp becuase doing anything other than just playing the thing seemed ludicrous.

BTW, HAD still writes in a gold pen on the tubes!"