Dwight Yoakam and Eddie freaking Perez

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Srvwannab, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Gold Supporting Member

After seeing Dwight Yoakam last night I feel like I have been to the Tele temple. I have fallen in love with all the Pete Anderson riffs in the Dwight songs and had no idea what to expect seeing Dwight live for the first time. First, Eddie Perez was faithful to the Anderson solos, using the familiar themes as a launching point for his own playing. Having never seen Pete Anderson live, the only tone of Pete's that I am familiar with is his recorded tone, which I really like. Eddie's live tone was completely mind blowing. There were two Black-Faced Deluxe Reverbs on stage with Eddie, and I didn't hear any effects (with the exception of a Tremolo on one song)- but the sound of those Tele's through those cranked DR's was incredible!

Watching Eddie play wasn't like "how in the world did he do that" like you get when you watch some incredible players. It was more like, "how in the world does the guy play the perfect note every time?!" which isn't to say that Eddie Perez isn't an absolute monster player, because he is. He went from fast chicken' pickin' to fat twangy honky tonk rhythm- getting different sounds by picking in different places - playing way back on the bridge. He was the consummate showman and looked like he was having a great time.

This is the first I've heard of Eddie Perez, but i would definetly pay to see him again. Great show!

2. auralfeast

auralfeast Member

Seven years ago, I saw Dwight on a tour with just a backing electric guitarist - not Pete - his name escapes me, but he was superb nonetheless. The overwhelming thought that I had leaving the concert was that Dwight was the best live singer I have ever seen.

3. Gas-man

Gas-man Fever In The Funkhouse Silver Supporting Member

Keith Gattis. I saw that tour as well.

4. pete692

pete692 Supporting Member

I saw him with Pete about 10 years ago, he was playing a Deluxe Reverb and a Vox AC15 side by side. Superb. But make no mistake, Dwight Yoakam was the absolute superstar of that stage. You just couldn't take your damned eyes off of him. He made me forget all my guitar geekery, and enjoy the music.

5. markophonic

markophonic Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget the late Eddie Saver

;)

6. JohnM

JohnM Member

I don't know about Eddie's live rig but I have sat backstage during a Dwight show when Pete was with him and Pete had TONS of stuff backstage...racks of amps and effects that the guitar tech operated 'for him'. Evidently Dwight doesn't like any pedalboards or other crap on the stage, so the tech was doing all the pedal pushing/channel-changing, etc... Pete had it made! All he had 'visible' on stage was a couple of cabinets or something.

7. Crowder

Crowder Silver Supporting Member

Do you mean Shaver?

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Supporting Member

Yeah there is an article out there where Pete runs down some of that stuff. Deluxe Reverbs, Groove Tubes Soul-O's, Fender Dual Professionals, Matchless amps, etc. Lots of different stuff in there.

9. therhodeo

therhodeo Supporting Member

Also Pete tells that Eddie wanted to use his marshall but Dwight wouldn't have it. He wanted a Fender Twin. So Eddie would put a twin on stage and the tech's had Eddies marshall hidden in a trailer backstage that no one was supposed to tell Dwight about.