1. We're aware of the search issues and are rebuilding the indexes. This will probably take a few hours. Thanks for your patience.

Electric Guitars with Piezo for Acoustic sounds?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jarrett, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

On my new gig, I get a lot of electric and acoustic requests. There is already a dedicated acoustic player in the band and I would just like to back him up occasionally. I was thinking about buying an electric that has the Piezo outs for doing acoustic occasionally. Do any of you use these types of setups with success?

I am only familiar with a couple of models of guitar that offer this. One option is the different Tom Anderson Piezo-based models and the other is the EBMM John Petrucci model. My other guitar is a strat, so I am interested in finding a double humbucking backup guitar and thought it would be nice if it Piezos on it as well. Any suggesstions? Thanks in advance.

2. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

The Gibson Slash signature LP comes with one. It's a bit expensive for a backup, though.

3. lukeness

lukeness Member

There is a PRS Archtop w/piezo (if you can find one used, it'll cost you a pretty penny).

And a PRS Hollowbody w/piezo.

I'm in a similar situation as you though, and I just prefer to use an acoustic. It just sounds better. Then again, my acoustic guitar player uses a Breedlove, so my piezo equipped PRS just sounds like dung next to it. My Larrivee does the job well though.

4. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Member

It's true that there are few worthwhile guitars available with piezos, but the good new is that it's pretty easy to add a piezo to an existing guitar.

This board is extremely anti-piezo, so you'll probably get nothing but piezo-knocking responses here, but personally I am a big fan of piezos. They can sound great when properly set up, generally meaning an active preamp, properly eq'ed through an acoustic amp or direct to PA.

The LR Baggs T-bridge is a direct replacement for an LP tuneomatic bridge. There are several different styles of bridge you can get piezos for. Just be sure to get the "optional" onboard preamp.

I had an EBMM Axis Super Sport with piezo, and it was one of the best piezo setups I've ever played. Pretty much the same setup as the Petrucci.

5. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

not humbucking, but maybe a used power tele?

6. gassed

gassed Member

Both Fisman and L.R. Baggs offer tremelo bridges with piezo built in for any strat (vintage or modern) amongst others.I have one on a Godin Solidac which I like alot,its sounds best with a acoustic preamp/eq in front.The bridges from both are in the $200.00-$250.00 range I believe.Hope that this is helpful.

:BEER

7. wilder

wilder Supporting Member

Hamer Duotone. Even the import model is pretty good for the price. Our guitar player uses one and the acoustic tones are very believable with DR Zebra strings. It has an onboard preamp, rosewood bridge, and spruce top to help with the acoustic sound. In electric mode it can cover LP type tones.

Chris

8. hammer995

hammer995 Member

How about a Line 6 either 500,600,700. Great utility guitar...pretty good acoustic sounds to boot.

9. tone4days

tone4days Member

i am thrilled with my brian moore ... any of their "i" models with a "p" or a ".13" at the end has a piezo output .... you can get them for a song used .. perfect for a backup .. hell, my i88.13 is my #1 (after new pups, switching, and tuners)

10. CGrisamore

CGrisamore Member

I have a 2001 American Deluxe Power Telecaster which came with a factory installed Fishman Piezo rig. It's not bad but once I heard the acoustic sounds from the Line 6 Variax, it was no contest....the Variax acoustic sounds are much better.

11. r9player

r9player Member

More and more systems available. I thought the BM P sounded quite good not sure what system they use.
    Right now selling a guitar that uses Graphtech Ghost piezo, decent sounding but I liked the BM better.

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Thanks for all the input so far.

I'd like to have a good electric as well as acoustic sounds. Is the Line 6 stuff actually capable of good electric tones? Or is it the guitar equivalent of the Line 6 amps? Kinda almost there, but not quite?

13. kherman

kherman Member

Parker Fly Deluxe.

Carvin Dc200 or 400 with piezo bridge.

14. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

There's lots of usable, interesting tones to be had in blending piezo and magnetic outputs, as well. One of my favorite sounds on my Slash LP is the neck pup with the piezo on, but rolled back quite a bit. It gives you a bit extra sparkle. With the bridge pup on and the piezo cranked up higher, it gets way into tele-land.

15. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Member

Brian Moores use RMC piezos (or did use, before they went out of business). They're not readily available aftermarket, and they don't have a very flexible switching setup. You can only biamp the piezo and mags with a stereo Y-cable, which I found annoying. Decent sound, but not worth the trouble for me.

Ernie Ball Music Mans use a Fishman Powerbridge, which is a killer sound, plus the best switching setup. Separate outputs, with stereo or mono options, along with blending. Perfect.

The LR Baggs with Ctrl-X preamp is the best sounding piezo I had, which was my Warrior Signature Isabella with T-bridge tuneomatic. That guitar was featured on several published albums and I promise you can't tell it's not a high end acoustic.

The Graphtech GHOST is the way to go if you have to replace only the saddles, and not the bridge. I don't like the look of the wires showing, though.

I agree that biamping the piezo with mags, along with blending, can give you many different sound options you don't have with just mags. Plus, it's a real crowd pleaser to play songs like Uncle Tom's Cabin, Crazy on You, Jack and Diane, etc., and play both acoustic and electric parts. I've had all of the above piezo systems, and I recommend any except for the RMC.

16. Troubleman

Troubleman Gold Supporting Member

I used to in an old band, and as we build a repetoir that calls for acoustic guitar, I'll start to do so again with my present band.
    On one of my Strats I had installed a LR Baggs Bridge-X piezo bridge and a Control-X preamp. It runs off of a 9volt battery beneath the pickguard. I think I changed the battery twice a year, and I used the thing a lot. With it I used a high-quality stereo cable that I had made. A three-way mini-switch on the guitar allows magnetic pups/piezos/or both. The magnetic pups (Duncan Alnico Pro IIs) went to my pedal board, the other signal - the piezos went to a volume pedal made for acoustic guitar, then to a Joe Meek compressor, then to a Raven Labs PMB-II (with a touch of delay and chorus from an Alesis Quadraverb Plus in its loop), and finally to a small Ultrasound AG-30 amp that I use for a monitor. The direct out from that amp went to the PA. I used to own a Parker Fly; my piezo-equipped Strat sounded better. Actually, when I was gigging with it, with that rig it sounded better than the Ovation acoustic that the other guitar player in the band used.

jb

17. takakat

takakat Member

I use Brian Moore C90P with built in RMC piezo and I really like the sound I never new so many songs I could use piezo sound and sounds better than magnetic pickups could. Bosanova, country, etc.. Even Stairway to Heaven:)
    I like the versatility of multi sounds so I am getting RMC 13 pin installed at Brian Moore's custom shop so I can use guitar synthesizer also. I am very excited about able to play more than just electric guitar:RoCkIn

18. major-minor

major-minor Supporting Member

I've got Fishman powerbridges in almost all my guitars. LOVE the blended sound. Works well for the type of stuff our band plays.

I go through the Powerblend pedal ----which has been discontinued by Fishman.

One hint------be sure to run your "acoustic" sound to an acoustic amp. I'm using a Genz Benz, for example.

19. almcg2

almcg2 Member

i have a parker which produces excellent acoustic sound, especially when run into an accoustic amp. i use a strawberry blonde.
    i've played a taylor t5, almost bought it. very nice sound. excellent playability, fast neck.
    now.... option 2.... an accoustics effects processor on your current ax. I have a korg pandora. it has an accoustic setting that i think sounds even better than piezo. cheapest alternative... try one. you will be suprised.

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie Silver Supporting Member

I will no longer use a guitar that DOESN'T have a two-voice feature.

I have two Godins with that feature, a Flat Five X and a Multiac Jazz. I can't say enough nice about them. They make a TON of instruments with two-voice and even three-voice setups and they are, imho, the best at this. (I sometimes run my Multiac Jazz electric, acoustic AND synth--I sound HUGE!)

I have a Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus which has both, but it is a true acoustic (even uses bronze strings) and it's electric sounds are VERY liimiting. It's the greatest guitar I've ever owned, but not built for your purpose I think (in case others recommend it here...). I use it when I want fantastic acoustic sounds with a dash of electric.

I put a Powerbridge in my US Masters and it sounds UNBELIEVABLY good. Best strat I've ever owned (I've had 'em all).

I've tried the Deluxe Power Tele and it's great, especially for the money, but I don't need it so I haven't bought one.

You might also look at the Michael Kelly guitars, can't remember the name of the model. They make a great two-voice import guitar. VERY tempting.