Enlarging Epiphone Pot Holes

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner: Guitar & Bass Technical Discussi' started by Bigsby, May 5, 2012.

1. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

I need to enlarge the potentiometer holes on a semi-hollow Epiphone for a new harness. The last time I did this on a Les Paul with a drill bit, even though I went slowly, there was chipping of the paint and wood around the hole. The damage was covered by the washer, but I would like to avoid this on this new guitar.

Any tips? I've got a hand drill and a dremel with a bunch of different attachments.

2. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Use a tapered reamer![​IMG]
    $10 +/- at most hardware stores.

3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

use a tapered reamer.

4. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

Thanks to you both. I'll head to Ace Hardware tomorrow.

5. mike shaw

mike shaw Member

Before you hit Ace measure the thickness of the body. If the body is thin, the reamer might bottom out on the rear of the guitar before reaming the hole. On my Echotone (a Hamer ES335 copy) I used a drill bit that was just barely larger than the hole and ran the drill in REVERSE with very light pressure. I can't recall if I had to repeat with yet another larger drill bit before I got to the proper sized hole. Once I had the proper hole, I took a wooden dowel with some sand paper wrapped around it to smooth the edge. The I took a red marker (my guitar is red) and colored the bare wood to make it looker a little more "stock". Finally, I vacuumed the inside to remove all of the dust etc. and I was done. Really pretty easy if you take your time and use a little finesse.

6. levelfrets

levelfrets Member

7. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

Yeah, bought one of these. Obviously too long to work in a semi-hollow, but I wasn't thinking critically before I got it.

8. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

9. Bigsby

Bigsby Member

Sounds like a careful approach. I'll give it a shot before buying any more tools.

At least I'll be able to use the reamer on an SG I'm going to build up with a sustainiac, so it's not a wasted purchase.

10. bsuite

bsuite Member

11. blong

blong Member

If you have a Harbor Freight near by find a tapered reamer or step reamer that fits a drill. I use one with my bare hand usually.

Search Harbor Freight's website for a tapered or stepped reamer. They are much shorter. You can also find them at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Bob

12. blong

blong Member

13. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

They apparently make reamers wider than that, I have one that is about the size of a pot hole less than 1/2" up.
    This is tedious to do, but if you are worried about chipping the finish, score a line in the finish around the hole with an xacto knife or a razor blade.
    Again, very tedious but it stops chipping.

14. Wake911

Wake911 Member

i just put painters tape over the holes, used my hand held reamer and super easily widened the holes on my Agile. It was painless and simple.