EVH 5150 III Micro head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hanksta13, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Here's one that was on Ebay. Like new 2 weeks old with a $850 starting bid and it got zero bids:huh
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item19ceb700bd&item=110842282173&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=30SFXYjRrCTkrBghs9rkOEcfSng%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

2. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney, Australia by way of Muddy Water Land (Chic
    Here are some recent clips I found on YT today. Gives you a good idea of what the Channel 1 and 2 can do. Dont know the guy but thought he gives us a good idea of what to expect.

3. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

4. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Thats the 50w I sold, he ended early, probably for an outside ebay sale.

5. ken374

ken374 Member

He kept the amp! he love's the cleans on the mesa and the low end but also love's the 5150III so he's running both amps, gear freak like us:)

6. Jasonbax

Jasonbax Member

ehh just to comment: I don't know if he kept the amp, but this guy buys a lot of gear and sells it. He's always trying gear out.. I know because I've bought from him before so don't let this sway you. I think he's been through every piece of gear out there so even if he didn't keep the amp that's not saying much. I'm waiting till the summer to purchase one, but I have to say there's no doubt this is a good amp. It just may not be everyones cup of tea. One thing I've learned over the years is that everyone has different ears. Some people think one sound is awesome while others think different. One thing to note is that not many people play like Van Halen yet everyone wants to sound like him. So most people that buy this amp won't really experience the full potential out of it, but this isn't to say they shouldn't own it or can't enjoy it. One thing to consider is Eddie would sound good through any amp, but he prefers loud screaming amps. I really think this amp is probably better than the pv soundwise. Fender cleaned up the distortion and it still screams. So you have to buy this amp for you and not for someone else's style... in the end most of us aren't going to sound like EVH style wise. So I guess someone was questioning why the one on ebay didn't sell?!?! Well, I really think fender is selling these amps like hotcakes. Yes, they are probably selling them based on the EVH endorsement, but I think they would be great amps without it. It's a shame that you have to use endorsements to sell an amp like this, but it's an endorsement age. However, we probably wouldn't see the amp or guitar without this endorsement so I'm happy. Also super happy that they improved on the older endorsements. It's also really good that Howard is here to help and conducts himself in a professional manner. Most companies would probably frown on this type of support, but I really think Fender is winning from this strategy. Sometimes you can really make your company look bad by going on a message board if things aren't handled right. Ok I"ve officially rambled on about nothing. Yay for the 5150 micro and the VH album!

7. Redmaz

Redmaz Supporting Member

8. ken374

ken374 Member

He wrote me, I wanted to know his take on both amps, loves both! so he's keeping them

9. nevusofota

nevusofota Member

I do not want to sound like EVH and I love the amp.

The only thing I don't like about it is its a "signature" amp. Wish it wasn't associated.

I love Van Halen and Eddies playing and tone.

10. nevusofota

nevusofota Member

Why open a new thread? Because this one is too long? I don't get it.

11. swamba

swamba Member

I've had my head for about 3 weeks now, love it so far! But I'm noticing something weird with the gain knob on channel 3. Don't know if its always been this way and I'm just starting to notice it or whats going on. It seems when I turn the gain up and down in the 0 to 4 range, its not smooth in gain transition. What I mean is it kinda makes noise and the volume is not steadily going up, its sorta flutters up and down slightly, like a dirty pot or there something weird with the gain stage in that area. let me ask, if the gain knob on channel 3 is all the way to 0 is there still sound or should it shut off volume completely like it does on channel 1 and 2, because I can have it all the way to 0 and there is still lots of gain. is this normal and I just never noticed?

Thanks

12. Lution

Lution Member

Once a post hits 1000 replies here on TGP, it gets locked. Then Part II opens, and part III, etc.

13. nevusofota

nevusofota Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I knew there had to be a good explaination. :bonk

14. indeedido

indeedido Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Where's the lock?

15. Marshalls Law

Marshalls Law Member

Where can I find one?!

16. OceansBetweenUs

OceansBetweenUs Member

What are you guys doing to manage the volume jump between channels 1 and 2?

This is the only thing stopping me from 100%, absolutely loving this amp.

17. OceansBetweenUs

OceansBetweenUs Member

^ looking for any solutions by tonight when I'm using it at band practice.

18. Lution

Lution Member

try asking your question on the other newly opened thread for this amp.

19. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

There is no solution....thats why I went w/ the 100w,,,however if you don't need a great clean, it may work out.

20. Concamcoop

Concamcoop Member

I got one about two weeks ago. I love it. This past Saturday at rehearsal, the volume on ch2,3 went quiet (not off) and would not get louder. I don't think ch 1 was affected, but not positive. I put amp on standby and took it off and the problem was gone. The problem I started having yesterday is engaging the effects loop cuts the volume a significant amount. When you disengage the loop, the volume returns. It even did this today when using the headphone out jack. It doesn't do this every time I play just 10-15% of the time. Turning the amp off and then back on again fixes the problem. I guess it is a preamp tube but I don't know. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you