Fake CF Martin & CO guitars from China

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by RockinB23, Jan 4, 2011.

1. RockinB23

RockinB23 Supporting Member

Well if those fake Gibson Les Paul's didn't bother you here is another example of this. A new CF Martin & Co just started producing guitars in China and its amazing according to their headstock they were established in 1833 as well. I found this whole thing quite disturbing!!!

http://www.musicincmag.com/News/2010/101214/101214_martin.html

2. Jahn

Jahn Member

Holy Moley. That takes the cake. Martin Guitars must have thought "you gotta be KIDDING me" when they showed up at that trade show!

3. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

That is outrageous! I surely hope Martin is able to do something, this is a game changer. Just Wow!

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I'm a huge Martin fan and owner...however let's see'em!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  5. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Have you seen 'em?!? Easily detectable as a p.o.s. from across a dark room. Not even close!! They look like any other cheap crap import. There's a pawn shop on ebay I have seen listing them as a "Martin" and they either truly do not know it isn't a Martin (yeah, right!), or just playing dumb.

6. otterhound

otterhound Senior Member

If that pawn shop is in the USA and Martin learns of it , they could be in a world of hurt all the way down to the importer . Rightfully so .

7. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Silver Supporting Member

Takes 'identity theft' to a whole new level...wow!

8. SuperSonic

SuperSonic Supporting Member

Internationalism at its finest. They are probably bankrolled by Goldman Sachs with Tarp funds.

9. Jaan

Jaan Member

Lets hope so

10. sgon

sgon Member

And incidentally all of them are "made in USA"
    There is a lot of discussion going on in another thread in AGF here:
    http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203886&page=4

11. otterhound

otterhound Senior Member

Take one to the factory and show it to them . Tell me what happens .

12. sgon

sgon Member

Read the first couple of sentences in the article that OP posted:
    C.F. Martin executives got an unwelcome surprise when they arrived in Shanghai for Music China this past October: Another C.F. Martin had set up shop in the trade show hall.

The exhibit bore the Martin & Co. logo, down to the tag line "Est. 1833," and featured dead ringers of several best-selling Martin guitars. And yet the company had no relation to C.F. Martin.

13. majordelt

majordelt Member

Truly disturbing.

14. otterhound

otterhound Senior Member

OK . Stroll on down to the factory in Nazareth with that banner/booth . Show it/them to the good people at Martin in Nazareth and tell me what happens .
    One just may be able to get away with that in China , but Nazareth ain't in China .
    Martin's battle in China is lost . Up to me , I would immediately confirm the company trademark status in every market that my company was in . I would do what it takes to protect that trademark . With that done , I would assess the company's market in China . If I felt that my company could survive it , I would immediately pull out of the Chinese market .
    " Let them eat fakes "
    I would also call for the suicide of those that dishonored the good Martin name and set out on a very public campaign to shame the imposters in China .
    One mans opinion .

15. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

Speaking as someone who buys most of his gear used, these stories really make me cringe.

16. musicofanatic5

I am not sure I fully understand the seemingly "high moral tone" driving some of the outrage over this (the tone on the AGF smacks of pure jingoism!), but to each his own. I would hope that through the benefit of forums like this and others, gtr buyers could avoid stupid (uneducated) mistakes like not being able to discern a counterfeit gtr (I pretty much smelled it's phony-stink through the computer screen when I first saw one, and that goes for the LPs, too) from the reel deel. My latin is a little weak, but I believe it's caveat emptor,now more than everin the free global marketplace!

17. otterhound

otterhound Senior Member

Don't know latin .
    Trust but verify .
    If a seller is unwilling to provide proper photos and serial number to verify through Martin , I say stay away .
    I don't sense any " high moral tone " here . Trademarks and the protection that they are supposed to provide are pure legal matters . Either the guitar is legal in the USA in accordance with those protections or it isn't .
    Ask Gibson how this works with wood/s .
    It is like counterfeit money . It is not illegal until you try to pass it off as the real thing .
    These fakes should be traced back to the importer and the importer/s should be slammed .
    I am curious as to whether the HPL Martins are being copied . A fake import that copies a legit import .

18. musicofanatic5

Yeah, I was one of the hoodlums cutting Latin and out behind the gym smoking cigarettes.

"I don't sense any " high moral tone " here"

"These fakes should be traced back to the importer and the importer/s should be slammed"

There's yer HMT right there (quote #2)! I do not get where the outraged indignation comes from? Are you a Martin stockholder? Sorry, but I can't get myself terribly worked up over this. I'm not the only one who can spot a fake Martin, am I? And if Martin's cozy little scene gets shook up a little, that certainly won't hurt us, the Martin buying public!