Fender DRRI or Hot Rod Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Drunkagain, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Drunkagain

Drunkagain Member

I've tried both 65 DRRI and the Blues Deluxe over the last couple of weeks and really like them both. Cleans sounded great on both amps. I'm just looking for a reason to go one way or the other at this point.

I'm mainly a bedroom player though I do try to get together with a couple of friends - another guitar player and a drummer, to jam with at least once a month or so.

Does anybody have a preference for one over the other?

2. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Member

tried both amps yesterday.. and i'm in the same situation as you.. a bedroom player with the occaional reason to get loud.

i'm also wondering which one take pedals better... i believe the blues deluxe ha a loop, and the drri does not. i'm not getting crazy (yet)... just wah, tube screamer, phase and delay. my first impression is that the blues deluxe would be better in that regard.

also... do both have foot-switchable reverb? of course, none of the stores have the pedals out, none of the salesman have any idea, and i've found different answer online...

3. Senzu21

Senzu21 Member

I was stuck between these two amps for about a month. I rarely play with anyone, so volume was not an issue. I choose the Blues due to price and less tubes to replace. Stupid way to decide, but it was what I did. I really couldn't decide. Since I have retubed mine and have played a DRRI with better tubes and still I was caught inbetween. I know this doesn't help much, but if volume is an issue go with the DRRI and some NOS tubes.

The Blues Deluxe does have an effects loop, the DRRI doesn't. They both have footswitchable reverb, with the DRRI also having a vibrato switch.

4. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Senior Member

DRRI for me,
    Its a good re-issue, just needs some time to mature and break in like they all do,

The HRDX just sound a bit too "cardboardy" if thats a word, to me.
    theyre also alot less rugged and tough than the 65.

5. champster

champster Member

I have an HRD. Having other 6v6 amps was one of the reason I didn't buy a DRRI. I'm basically a bedroom player too and have no regrets buying the HRD. It has to me a very good full sound to it, even played at low levels. I did retube which made a huge difference in how the amp sounds. I'm running a set of SED winged-C 6L6s, which sound great. Can't remember what I have in the for preamp tubes, I play around with those. Usually for those I use EH, tung-sol, or JJ. I don't sue the drive channels on the amp. I use pedals for the overdrive. That's just the way I am.

6. Gigino

Gigino Member

i only play a drri at home and in stock form, with Vox bulldog, boss sd1, RAT, Bad monkey, i cannot get good crunchy or distorted tones at low volume, if i wasn't still paying it i'd sell it.
    At presente i prefer the tones of my pod through DRRI...Buy a tiny terror

7. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Silver Supporting Member

This is where things like Roland Cubes come in handy. Cool distored tones at low volumes. A DRRI simply isn't built for that.

As far as DRRI vs. HRD, I actually prefered the Blues Deluxe that last time I went to the guitar shop. The DRRI seemed really bright to me at the time, however I also attribute that to the Burstbuckers in the LP I was using.

I used to own an HRD and was happy with it. But I haven't ruled out a DRRI. I'm going to take my LP and go try it again.

Cheers.

8. StratTone

StratTone Member

Ok, I can be of good help to you. :) I own both of these amps and love them both however you saying that your a bedroom player tells me DRRI all the way. Put a good compressor in front of it (I like my CS-3) and a TS-9 and your in heaven. ;) Feel free to PM me any questions if you have any.

9. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

DRRI, no contest imho. If you like the way the DR sounds now just wait a bit until the Jensen speaker breaks in, it will be even better. Agree with StratTone about the TS-9, perfect match.

10. brefmint

brefmint Member

DRRI all the way. It is a smoother amp with a sweeter tone than a Hot Rod. I gig with mine all the time and I use tons of pedals. Love it!

brefmint

11. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey guys,

I will have to say that if you were to choose between a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue or the Hot Rod Deluxe, both amps stock, most people will choose the DRRI over the Hot Rod Deluxe. Now modified, I have an Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe that will nail the blackface cleans of the DRRI along with a great sounding drive/more drive channel that is just brown & fat sounding. The midrange & presence control also has control over the midrange that the DRRI never had much of.

The stock DRRI is an amp that just needs a better speaker and nice set of NOS preamp & power tubes to make it sound good.

The stock Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville has design flaws with the overly bassy bass control, poor sounding drive/more drive channel, sensitive master volume & reverb control, and cheap speaker & input jacks. Most people who buy that amp deal with the issues or sell the amp. It makes the Hot Rod Deluxe the most "hated" amp on all of the Internet forums. That's why you see lots of them up for sale in the used music equipment forums.

Guitar George

12. fluxtone

fluxtone Member

Just get the more powerful amp and retro-fit it with a FluxTone speaker, Model 1, Then you will have both amps in one cabinet.

13. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

would not get the blues deluxe, the hot rod has the more drive, and can be omega modded which makes the Hot rod incredible, Jim Price's mod is a bargain.

I was going to get the DRRI, really love 6v6 amps, my mesa mark iv runs them and had a marshall studio 15 that had them as well. I got a texas red edition hot rod deluxe, glad I did, it came with a Vintage 30, my studio 15 had the V30 as well. I you reverse the polarity of the speaker they sound killer. I am runinng JJs 6v6s in my Hot Rod Deluxe, gets the power down to 20 watts and the sweet bubbly tone of the amp is addicting, a dummy plug in the external speaker will get the 4 ohm tapp, and it gets the bias right as well, so going back to 6L6s is easy. I run input 2 on the hot rod deluxe, its attenuated and makes the volume less stupid on the hot rods. for the V2 drive channel a gold pin ECC83S gives it a more mid rangy tone, some people use a 12DW7 which is darker but has less gain, I just set the drive level around 6 gets the same thing.

the guys that have had the omega mod will drive you nuts here, sorry I am one, get the drive tone more marshall like and the clean tone just sings.

http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

I got my tubes from JJs they also have some good biasing videos, the Hot Rods tone really changes with bias, the factory bias is 60mV, under biasing get the clean tone to improve with more head room, though I overbias for a really nice gritty tone, find most people tend to that as well

http://www.eurotubes.com/

personally I am glad I did not get the DRRI, the hot rod running the JJs 6v6s gets the same tone, the JJs have a 500 volt plate voltage and will replace a lot of the 6L6s, most of the others wont. The DRRI you are stuck with a lower power amp. The omega mod which is $250 for the basic mod, I got the push pull mid and preamp mods which are $45 each, the pedal if you intend to gig with it is $125. Jim turns the amps around in a week. The tone of the amp is just amazing.

14. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've owned both HRDX and Deville and no longer own either since they were too loud and not the sound I like. You really need pedals since the OD on the HR's is harsh and brittle , I still have a Blues Jr. and I have the VM Deluxe with smooth OD and FX that I really like the sound of. I do like the DRRI which I've used a friend's before a few times much better than Hotrods IMO

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've had a DRRI & BDRI and now use a Hot Rod Deluxe, I would definitely take a Hot Rod or Blues Dlx over the DRRI. The Hot Rod takes pedals a lot better than the DRRI and also has a mids pot and an excellent clean channel I also thought the DRRI had a real Ice picky tone when stock.
    Your best bet is to try and see if you can play them and see what you think for your self opinions only get you so far!

16. this1smyne

this1smyne Silver Supporting Member

i didn't like the Hot Rod at all the few times i played through one, and am impartial to the DRRI. I've had a blues deluxe for a few years now and don't regret it at all, great sounding little amp. but for the price used you can get a bassman (my main amp now). if you're just a bedroom guy i think a blues Jr might suit just as well.... esp if you're focusing on pedals for drive. the drive channels on both the hot rod and blues deluxe leave something to be desired.... if you push it with a SHO or Katana it sounds pretty good, but there just isn't enough there for me.... not compared to my orange.

BTW my Blues Deluxe has JJ's in it and a Weber Vintage series speaker.... made a HUGE difference in the sound quality

17. Gtowngearhead

Gtowngearhead Member

Doesn't Andy use a DRRI now for his demos? I'd shoot for a Blues over a Hot Rod, unless you're going to be doing a preamp tube swap on the HRDx, which will make the drive channel sound a lot better. At least it does for the Deville, I'm assuming HRDx would be about the same effect.

18. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    The DRRI sounds much better I think. Much sweeter and fuller tone.

19. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Silver Supporting Member

I've got both. They both have their strong and weak points. The DRRI is classic Fender clean, the HRDx is much fuller and warmer sounding. The DRRI sounds great cranked, but doesn't have tons of clean headroom. The HRDx gets much louder before distortion. The reverb on the DRRI is better until you clip c103 on the HRDx, then it's pretty close. They're both PCB amps, but the design of the DRRI is better. The HRDx can be gotten cheap used.

The point is, they are different amps completely, I like both but you might prefer one over the other.

20. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Supporting Member

+1... I had both and sold the HR to my buddy...I'm not a Hot Rod hater, its a decent amp, but not even in the same league as a DRRI, IMO.