Fender Hot Rod Deville Head Conversion--anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by furry, Apr 6, 2010.

1. furry

furry Senior Member

I'm thinking of turning a Hot Rod Deville into a head. Has anyone done this?

2. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

No, but would be interested in a step-by-step from anyone who has. What are the coil tap values on the HR Deville's output transformer? I know the HRDx does 4 and 8 ohms. This would be a big deciding factor on whether it's worth doing, unless you plan on replacing the OT as part of the conversion.

3. Freeman

Freeman Silver Supporting Member

No, but I did have my 4-10 Deville neutered down to a 2-10 with Ragin' Cajun's(Thanks Joel with Sonic Emergence). David Smith- Dabeck did the work.He Re-did the tone stack and modified the mids.Said he tapped into the 4 ohm lug from the transformer. So,YES it does put out 60 watts at either 4 or 8 ohms.And it does sound good...surprisingly good. I am very pleased.

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

David Smith does great work, and he's the guy I'd probably ask to relocate the tube sockets necessary to put that beast into a head format. Then I'd have Jim Price Omega-fy it and start pairing it up with all kinds of speaker/cab configurations. That would be fun.