Fender's new "Channel Bound" Rosewood Fretboard

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MichaelSaulnier, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I stopped in at a local Fender dealer in my area, and got my first look at a new idea for Fender... a Fender Select Stratocaster that had a "Channel Bound" Rosewood Fretboard.

Basically, it's a maple neck routed out to allow a rosewood fretboard to be inserted, with just a bit of the maple neck still in place all around the fretboard.

It looks a bit like the neck has binding, but there's no plastic of any kind.

The neck felt quite nice, and was very easy to play, with no noticeable feel issues.

It was rather distinctive looking, and the store manager shared with me that Fender had patented the process, and was the first to offer this idea.

I researched it a bit more on Fender's site... apparently there's a carved top Jazzmaster in the select series that has a similar fretboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's kinda a cool idea... looked different.

What do you think of it?

M

2. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Silver Supporting Member

I think it's a neat idea.

3. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

Here's a YouTube vid made by Fender that shows the neck clearly.

M

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Looks cool...BUT I wonder what might happen over time if the rosewood expands with humidity and causes the maple to crack on the sides or the rosewood to unattach itself as it now has nowhere to expand except up.

5. wes37

wes37 Member

Cool!

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie Silver Supporting Member

yup. My thoughts exactly.

7. F#m7

F#m7 Supporting Member

Not sure what the point is?

8. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

I like the idea. I think they would look absolutely righteous with a small headstock and in finishes like Lake Placid Blue, Forest Green, Candy Apple Red, and non-flamed bursts.

9. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

I like the look but calling inlay a "new process" is a bit of a stretch.
    Looks good, though.

10. Nada

Nada Member

builders like McNaught have been doing this for years, no? this pic is from a guitar built in 2007, for example.

[​IMG]

11. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

This setup is probably no different from any glue joint between dissimilar woods. Those edge of the fret board rosewood/ebony to maple joints have survived for many years without unattaching themselves. In terms of durability, this setup is probably much preferable to other binding techniques. Cosmetically it will produce a one dimensional binding effect since, from the side, the look will be solid maple. Not as nice but not a bad way to go if you like the look of binding from the front of the guitar.

At least they are thinking and trying.

hunter

12. ScottySevins

ScottySevins Member

Wow I really freakin like the sound of that!! I am not really a fan of neck binding, I feel like its never as smooth as a nice rolled/worn edge, but I bet that is really nice clark!!

13. monty

monty Member

I like it!

14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Hmmm, I guess now Fender can sue other guitar makers to stop them from using a process that they failed to patent?......that seems fair!

15. slap dat

slap dat Member

Very cool.

16. c_mac

c_mac Supporting Member

Are you sure that is the same process that Fender is using? That McNaught could simply just have maple binding for the fingerboard. I have an old Alvarez acoustic that has a maple bound rosewood fingerboard. Fender is inserting a rosewood plank into a maple neck, not just binding the rosewood with maple.

17. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Silver Supporting Member

Why does Fender always come up with better ideas than Gibson? Rhetorical question.

18. C-4

C-4 Member

Because Fender is a more forward-thinking guitar company where ideas are shared.

19. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

1. That is a cool idea, I haven't seen one but it probably looks and plays very nicely.

2. I hope they do not charge extra for this feature, because if anything it is a labor saver. I would guess this process is a far less expensive way to give a binding effect that binding installed by hand. Just another pass of the neck blank through the CNC, cut the rosewood board to size, and glue them together.

3. It has one possible drawback; the neck may be ruined if you have to remove the rosewood fingerboard as it is probably difficult to get out of the rest of the neck. However Fender is probably inserting the truss rod from the back and the neck has a skunk stripe, like most of their RW fingerboard necks have now.

20. ixnay

ixnay Member

If Gisbon did this there would be 15 threads on how out of touch they are and ho Henry continues to ruin the company...