G&L ASAT Tele looks great - but the pickups?!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MarkF786, Jan 12, 2010.

1. MarkF786

MarkF786 Supporting Member

I've been thinking of getting a Tele and the G&L models look great, but WTF is the deal with the pickups? I want a traditional Tele sound, and I don't think G&L's MFD pickups will give me that sound. I really wish they offered an ASAT Tele with traditional pickups.

Can anyone give me feedback on the G&L MFD pickups? For a classic sound, would I have to replace them with a more traditional pickup?

Mark

2. Loobster

Loobster Member

They sound amazing, but they aren't what you're looking for if you want a 'traditional' Tele sound. They are a lot bigger sounding, fatter, more present. Just sounds like a Tele on steroids or maybe a cross between a vintage Tele pickup and a P90.

3. Strat

Strat Member

They are better than tele pu's....which is why they are there.

4. morgan918

morgan918 Member

You kinda need to hear them. They're pretty amazing. Lots of string definition, very clear, and like loobster said a cross between a p90 and a tele, but I'd add with some clarifying filter on top, if that makes sense. Incredible pickups.

5. Loobster

Loobster Member

Very very clear, yes! Loads of definition. They sound amazing for pretty much everything, incredibly responsive. Every guitarist that hears or plays my US ASAT Special asks to buy it from me.

6. mediocreplayer

mediocreplayer Member

I am glad there are many people who like the MFD's. I was shopping for an ASAT with no chance to play one, and basically asked the same question somewhere else, and got almost the exact same replies.

I bought the guitar. I hated the pups with a passion. I found them too loud and not sweet-sounding at all -- someone said this is a function of the ceramic vs. alnico. But I couldn't wait to get rid of that guitar. The buyer who played it loved it and said it is miles better than his Tele, so it's obviously a sound with many admirers, but I am not one of them, and neither will be anyone who is looking for a traditional Tele sound.

7. geetarman

geetarman Member

I like the MFD's alot if you roll the volume back you can get some Tele like tones but if you want a true traditional Tele sound you're going to have to replace the pups.

8. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Member

I replaced mine with some Curtis Novaks...killer Trad Tele sounds!

9. D.G.

D.G. Member

I hate to say it, but if you want a trad tele sound, just buy a trad tele.

I loved the sound of the G&L's I've owned, but I really need a tummy cut on a tele shape or it's too uncomfortable to play, especially standing. I currently own a Am Deluxe Tele w/ SCN's and I really like it, but it also is more of a variant on the classic tele tone than an absolute clone.

10. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

ASAT != Tele

G&L doesn't make a Tele. They make ASATs. Good for them. It drives me nuts when people call them Teles though. T-type? Sure. Inspired by? Most definitely. But if you want a true Telecaster, I'm not sure anything on their product line fits the bill. The ASAT Classic is as close as they get, but with 6 saddles, it's a different guitar.

Besides, Teles don't come with an inferiority complex that requires their owners to bash all similar guitars. Apparently G&Ls do. Good for them.

11. tnvol

tnvol Member

I love the pups in my ASAT. Better than any Fender tele I've played.

12. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I love the large MFD pickups in the ASAT Special, but they definitely aren't a traditional sound. If you want more aftermarket options, get the ASAT Classic. While it still has MFD pickups, they are traditionally sized pickups and it has the tele-style bridge.

13. hcole

hcole Member

I guess it only makes them passive aggressive!

All things considered if you're looking for traditional tele sounds you'll probably want to change the pups.

14. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

I've played ASATs on & off for years. I like the MFD pickups but no, they aren't a traditional tele pickup design.

15. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

:D

All in jest of course. But really, there's a disturbingly high incidence of G&L owners who bash Fenders just because they're Fenders. Leaves me with a really sour taste in my mouth when it comes to G&L, no matter how good they actually are.

16. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I have had several ASAT's and the closest you are going to get is in ASAT Classic on roll off the volume (and tone) until you're ready for a lead. Really nice guitars, not completely traditional Tele though. FWIW I had an ASAT upgraded with a Callaham Bridge/Saddles and Fred Stuart pups in it... man that was nice, should have kept it!

17. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I actually liked the G&L Tele type p/ups except for single coil buzz. Give Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars (p/up maker) he can make any thing you want at a resonable price!

18. morgan918

morgan918 Member

I agree with the pickups not being sweet sounding. I think that's what I liked about them though. But like others said, if you want a traditional tele sound, get a real tele. I do love the way the asat's play though, more than my teles.

19. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Try this for the bridge pick up if you havn't...Its not going to nail it but I think it gets closer. Lower pole all the way down and slightly raise the middle ones. Adjust the height to match the front volume. I like them but I can understand people who don't. They are very aggressive and you have to use your tone control. I have to use the tone control on my '63 too though so...I like the pick ups but I can understand how some people don't.

20. Rob 62

Rob 62 Member

I've owned both a G&L ASAT Classic (great guitar), and a couple of different Telecasters. As other posters have pointed out - they are different animals. I lifted the following description from my post in another thread on G&L - it tries to describe the difference in sound and response of the two pickups (MFD/ceramic vs. Traditional/AlNiCo).