George Lynch in a pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ed84246, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Quite a few threads have mentioned a pedal emulating Eddie Van Halen's early tones. I'm looking for a pedal that will do more of a George Lynch Dokken era thing. I've tried the Kaden Brown Creeper, MI Audio Crunchbox and BSIAB II and they don't really have that bark and growl of Lynch's sound. Most of the plexi pedals out there do the 50 watt Angus Young thing which is in the right direction, but not quite enough gain, and the rest do the Hendrix, Cream-era Clapton thing which is not what I'm after. Any suggestions?(please don't waste your or my time listing George Lynch's guitar and amps he used - I know that's how to get his exact sound but I'm not looking to change my setup and spent five or six grand, just looking for a pedal to get me into the ballpark for a few songs in my set please).

2. Aruntang

Aruntang Silver Supporting Member

You should check out the Dna Analogic GainFxxker II. Killer pedal that knocked the crunchbox off my board. Splatt and Matte like them a lot as well. I have been looking for a pedal that can cop the sound and feel of the Bogner Ecstasy and Uberschall. So far this pedal comes the closest to reproducing that sound and feel, IMO. Definitely worth trying.

3. ryanformato

ryanformato Member

You could also change your pickups (Seymour Duncan makes the George Lynch pickups). That may get you closer than your current pickups. On the other hand, you may have already considered that.

4. Noah

Noah Gold Supporting Member

I got a pedal called a "screaming whore" (terrible name but sounds awesome!) from metalpedals.com that would work for the sound you're after! I think I've tried every modern OD pedal made at one time or another in the past few years but this is the one I've stuck with.
    I also had the including Dna Analogic GainFxxker II. It sounded good, but it was too much like a nu-metal type sound for me.

5. Aruntang

Aruntang Silver Supporting Member

The Gainfxxker most definitely can do more that nu-metal sounds. Its all about fxxk knob and the cut knob. The more you turn the fxxk knob to the the left the more bass is removed from the sound with some mids added, which leaves you with a more tight, chunky and percussive sound ala Marshall JCM800 to Bogner Ecstasy type tones. To the right the bass is emphasized while perhaps removing some mids, giving you more of a Uberschall to Recto kind of sounds. The cut knob also affects the sound adding prescence or smoothing the sound even more. IMO, it is much more than a nu-metal pedal. Still the string to string definition and clarity is amazing to me, not to mention they did an amazing job reproducing the feel of the amps mentioned.

6. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

George Lynch Time Machine Boost??

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I'm not sure if this is the Lynch tone you are looking for but I did this clip with the Blackfacey amp set clean (Tone King Meteor II) and a Barber Direct Drive dimed:

Direct Drive

Also, Barber has a mod version of this pedal that adds more gain and more tonal control. I'm thinking about sending mine back for the mod.

8. donbarzini

donbarzini Supporting Member

Time Machine Boost is just a very clean boost. It is not Lynch in a Box.

9. RevolutionMan

RevolutionMan Member

boss metal zone with a keeley twilight zone mod, this mod is pretty spectacular in my opinion, turns an otherwise somewhat cheezy pedal into a monster

10. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

Ok...a 69 Purple Plexi and a George Lynch TMB!! :moon

11. vulcaniza P

vulcaniza P Member

isn't there some desktop multi effector made by boss that lynch uses or used? i think he even designed some patches in it or suttin.

12. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll definitely listen to some clips. At first I thought you guys were putting me on with pedals named gainfxxker and "screaming whore" (there's a band called "Goat Whore", maybe they could endorse it and have a special "screaming goat whore" model), but I checked out some clips - some nice high gain stuff, but not sure it really has that mid-bark I was looking for.

I tried a ToneBone Hot British over the weekend and definitely got into that territory. Anyone have any experience with these pedals?

13. carbz

carbz Member

FWIW Lynch never had a signature sound. His sound varied from record to record. The 1st record was a kind of wimpy sounding marshall IMO, the tooth and nail album despite great songs and playing sounded like a fuzzy mushy buzz saw, Under lock and Key sounds like a rockman for the most part, back for the attack was interesting but very midrangey and dry sounding. Lynch mob stuff IMO was his best sounding stuff tone wise.

14. Thwap

Thwap Member

Bingo...Rockman is the sound I always associate with lynch, and you're right, he was all over the place on his sound, so the era is just as important as the effect. IMO.

15. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The Tonebone HB is my go-to hi-gain distortion pedal. Thick and juicy, it's just dripping with feel. I sound like an ad campaign, but this is the sound I've always wanted, and it's been going strong for close to 2 years now :AOK

If you like it, take it. Stick an eq pedal after it, and the tonal possibilities are widened.

(for the record, lynch used a Boss OD-1 to goose his amp. You may want to use an OD-3 or something before your pedal to give it a more authentic feel).

16. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Thanks for the info. about the OD-1. As for the previous posts, uhh...not sure I'd agree his sound was ever "buzzy or mushy", if anything, sounds like he has less gain than early VH to me. The sounds across the first three albums sound pretty much in the same ballpark to me - this was before his "gear whore" days ala Steve Vai and Brad Whitford who are listed as endorsees for about five hundred companies each. And don't think I'd agree he ever sounded like he was playing through a Scholtz Rockman - most of it sounded like a grinding early metal panel Marshall as he used (borrowed from Aspen Pittman) but everyone's got their opinions so thanks for the input.

17. carbz

carbz Member

I am almost positive he used a Randall amp on "Tooth and Nail" being he had an endorsement with them at the time. I had a Randall myself and it had that same kind of mushy breakup I hear on that album. The "Under lock and Key record is very rockman sounding though I doubt its a rockman. Much different then T&N IMO. If you like it hey its your taste. To each his own. I never really cared for his tone at all. I don't think he cared for it much either.

18. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

What about the HBE pedals? I think the FJM can't remember the name exactly (army green ) sounded pretty awesome and its tight as well. They have a boost switch on it.... I compared it to the other pedal they have which is one of those stack in a box british sounding pedals and I think this green pedals is far tighter and smoother. I think it gives the 80's sound and I am picky as hell when it comes to 80's tone. Those metal pedals in my opinion were far too brittle and fizzy.. http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm

19. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

This is the same as those EVH in a box threads. Any high gain source will get you in the neighborhood but Lynch's tone is all in his fingers. He has a shap attack on the strings and it is impossible to get the sound without the right attack on the strings.

Get a high gain pedal, like a DS1,crunchbox, etc.. and dial in a little more midragnge on your amp and you should be in the ballpark.

Scott.:JAM

20. donbarzini

donbarzini Supporting Member

Nice Crack!