Gibson Asymmetrical Neck Profile

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by xrleroyx, Nov 19, 2011.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Supporting Member

What other guitars does Gibson offer with this neck?

I've got the limited LP Florentine, and I just can't find a more comfortable neck, and I'd like to buy another guitar that has that neck.

2. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I'm pretty sure my 1st Gen Robot (the green one, not the blue burst one) has this. at first I chalked it up to a production mistake or some sort of odd shaping, but then I read that they had started to do this. it is a fantastic neck. it has become one of my favorite instruments. the fact that it tunes itself is also great, but fundamentally it is an excellent playing and sounding instrument.

I believe you can kind of see it here in this picture of the heel
    [​IMG]

3. Fred132

Fred132 Member

My 2010 LP Std has one. I like it.

4. webs

webs Supporting Member

It's on the Les Paul Standard now. Not the LP Standard Traditional, that one has the more usual specs with the symmetrical neck carve and no chambering. Any non-Traditional Standard from 2008 on should have the asymmetrical neck. I'm not aware of any other guitars that got it. It looks like some Robot LPs have them - my Robot SG did not.

5. socalscott

socalscott Member

Hmmm, I had a neck made with the fatness thumb side. Feels so right. Wondering what the Gibby feel is.

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator Staff Member

I just played (about 2 hours ago) a 2008 style LP Standard Traditional Gold Top that was chambered. It weighed about 7.5 lbs.:huh

7. Beat Up G

Beat Up G Member

Yep my 2010 LP Standard sported the assymetrical carve. I liked that neck, great guitar.

8. RCM78

RCM78 Member

The Traditionals are weight relieved, not chambered, with a 50's round neck.
    The Standard has the Asymmetrical neck and the body is chambered.

9. choucas09

choucas09 Member

I've never tried one, but I'm intrigued. Seems to make perfect sense. After all put your hand into a guitar playing pose and look at it, it ain't symmetrical.

10. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator Staff Member

OK. The rep said it was chambered, so I'll mention it to him tomorrow. Thanks!

11. David Vee

David Vee Member

Not liking the feel of the asymmetrical neck any of the times I've demo'd one. More power to the folks that do like it... different strokes for different folks.

12. Sweetwood

Sweetwood Member

Asym necks are the best. Check this out (no spam intended), all our guitars are "Progressive Asymmetric." It's rounder by the nut (but still asym) and gets more asym as you move up the neck (like a bass clef). Like Choucas points out, your hand isn't symmetrical. You actually position your hand differently in the various points on the neck. Higher up, more lead work. Anyway, I've been working on this for years.

13. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a LP with the assymetrical neck. You can tell it's there, but it's fairly subtle. I liked it just fine, but it was not a "must have" feature for me personally.

14. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

My 2010 LP standard has the asymetrical neck profile. It is my absolute fav!

15. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Is the asymmetyrical shape closer to a 60's slim taper or a rounded 59 shape?

(yeah, I know, old thread brought back to life. Sorry.)

16. Scott L

Scott L Supporting Member

The "08 Standard" was based of a 50s profile and then carved to the Asymmetrical spec.

The "2012 Standard was 60s Slim and then developed in to the Asymmetrical profile.

17. diddlybo

diddlybo Member

Thank you sir. I'm more partial to the slim taper neck. Don't know if I would bond with the asymmetrical shape.

18. ixnay

ixnay Member

There is actually no model called a 'Traditional Standard'. This is what many (seems like most) retailers call the Traditional, but Gibson only refers to the model as the Traditional (or Traditional Plus). Standard was apparently added to the description of the model online for obvious reasons.

Most likely, based on the weight, you played a chambered Standard.