Gibson Government Series SG

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TwoToneGreen, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandmonster

Bandmonster Member

Isn't it odd that the media, cnn in particular, failed to trumpet the return of the stolen Rosewood to Gibson? Cnn certainly had no problem broadcasting video of the theft in progress, and lying about the facts. Repeatedly.

I wonder why that is. I probably just missed it. Yeah, that's it.

Whatever the reason, this is going to piss off the SandyMangina crowd something fierce.

2. Silver

Silver Member

:rotflmao

And a Megaphone, Jack White style.

I wouldn't buy it, but think it's funny. Marketing with an actual statement for once, regardless of any baggage that may or may not come with it.

3. Hawking

Hawking Member

There is. And a Flying V and Explorer

4. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Gold Supporting Member

Yep, those cases do look sweet. What you can't tell from looks is that they're flimsy compared to what you'd expect, had my hands on one Saturday.

5. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Gold Supporting Member

Agree. Another waste of wood from Gibson - great job, Henry.

6. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

Along those lines they should release an HJ signature series that has two-faces and is covered in slime. :idea

-db

7. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Not this again... this was re-hashed a hundred times until all the facts came in; then even Henry's biggest defenders realized that Gibson got caught red-handed. You can find old TGP threads pointing to relevant public records but in a nutshell they were importing wood they shouldn't have been, knew that they were and had falsified two separate sets of import documents trying to slip by. Just because the thing was settled doesn't mean their hands were clean.

8. colinesquire

colinesquire Member

Exactly. And releasing this model is such a delusional brand-damaging decision. True sociopath CEO behavior. :facepalm

9. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Supporting Member

Ha. Gibson bashers will be Gibson bashers. What a joke. This guitar is awesome. Great idea.

And this is coming from a "non-traditional" Gibson fanboy. They aren't alienating anyone. Their views on the world have no bearing on their ability to make great guitars.

10. nodepression

nodepression Member

Gibson rocks.

11. Zuhzuhzombie!!

Zuhzuhzombie!! Member

So they took a 500$ SG Special and slapped a custom paint job on it and cranked up the price another 500$.

And I guess to help it sell they take a crack at the government for busting them on their bad business practices?

12. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Is Gibson running record deficits on the production of this guitar?

Is Gibson taking revenues from other guitars to subsidize this guitar?

Is there excessive paperwork, regulation, waiting lists, and/or very lengthy delivery dates involved in purchasing the guitar?

Could the guitar be made anywhere else with much greater efficiency and at a lower cost?

Do the employees that make this particular guitar have incredible benefits and secured retirement plans that are far superior to anyone else at Gibson, or elsewhere in the non-union private sector?

If the answer to all these questions is YES, then the guitar is appropriately named.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  13. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

Each one comes with a FBI supplied tracking chip so they can re-confiscate the guitar when they decide to mess with Henry again.

14. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

False. I'm anyone and I'll never buy a Gibson as long as Henry is in charge.

15. Woody Duke

Woody Duke Member

It should have three pickups, with only the middle a "Dirty Fingers."

16. mfitz804

mfitz804 Member

I like the color a lot. And the "f you" attitude behind it.

17. bal704

bal704 Supporting Member

Gibson paid a $300k fine AND got the wood back. That's a small fraction of the legal fees if they had fought the case.

If the government had any kind of case, Gibson wouldn't have gotten the wood back, they would have paid a much larger fine, AND somebody(s) would have been facing criminal charges.

$300K is a giggle worthy punishment in the world of highly publicized government raids and prosecutions.

18. puffin

puffin Member

Gibson forfeited $260,000 in illegally imported rosewood and ebony, so they didn't just 'get the wood back.' The rosewood on this SG series WAS returned, but you're perception of the case is pretty skewed.

19. TeleFromHelly

TeleFromHelly Member

Hilarious.

To those saying it's low brow and a waste of money, it's a very economical form of advertising that is eye catching and informative. They are addressing the situation rather than sweeping it under the rug, in a comical manner. It's a cheap way to get the word out that the government problems (and bi layer and maple fretboards) are done, and they got some of their wood supply back (I didn't know, along with others in this thread). They are only making 300 so it will be a blip on the radar and not a mainstay in catalogs and their website, but it has gotten us all talking about it. I wish it were a standard

20. lamf

lamf Member

I cant believe how bad the paint job is !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.