GOMEZ AMPS "EL SONIDO" 63 blonde bassman review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wiredturtle, Sep 5, 2007.

1. wiredturtle

wiredturtle Supporting Member

Just got two of them in from Dario of Gomezamps.com and put em to the test against
    my late 63' blonde 6G6-B. Now my amp has had some updates from tophat amps but the
    only modification to my amp is the removal of a 222j cap that takes the damper off the high
    end in the bass channel.

Dario's amps are built in Orange County just like the originals using overbuilt components that
    match or excede the OEM components that fender used on 500 S. Raymond Ave. in Fullerton
    back in the old days (at the time my dad was working there more or less). While original
    blonde bassmans had a "presence" control and normal channel, Dario took the liberty of
    calling that channel the "wild" channel and changed the presence control name to "stoke".
    While he has a surf music background he has the heart for rockabilly artists looking to
    get "the sound" and he has done so with the EL SONIDO. Its every bit as good with
    fat tight bass and jangly,punchy highs as my own 63' fender blonde bassman.
    I put it toe to toe into my bassman cab loaded in a 4ohm configuration with 2 celestion
    speakers (one vintage 30 and one vox alnico blue).
    This El Sonido has the same sonic footprint as my original other than the fact that you need
    to turn the treble knob up on the gomez amp one notch past my original to get the same
    twang. No big deal at all. What is much more improved is the quietness of the amp and that
    the volume controls are usable the entire range unlike the original and most fender repros
    that can only go from off to loud in a twitch of the finger.

The amp has a tad more headroom than my blonde and thats pretty much from the fact that
    Gomez amps use JJ ECC803 preamp tubes (a longplate 12ax totally interchangeable) and
    the Tungsol 5881 reissues. Remember that the originals were issues with RCA longplate pre's
    and tungsol small bottle 5881 (same thing with Phillips 6G6-WGBs) so Dario is trying to
    stay as true to the original as he can.
    What an added bonus is that straight out these El Sonido amps have grounded heavy duty
    extra length AC cords and an internal bias pot so that you can use any kind of 6L6 type tube
    for your liking. (the original has a fixed bias that requires a tech to determine when you change
    out tubes).

This El Sonido amp gives up the rocking crunch past 6 oclock like you expect and the lows still
    stay nice and tight. Well defined sonic articulation across the spectrum.

I opted to have the treble damper cap in the bass channel exempt since I like to play my strat
    through that channel for modern blues and rock stuff and as well I prefer the very
    bright and hot Ruby 12ax7C5 pre amp tubes (ala setzer) and NOS 6L6WGB pwr tubes (ala setzer)
    but pretty much you could blind taste test these amps and pick the EL Sonido as the better sounding amp.
    I can now stop sweating about having my original blonde "dissappearing" from the stage and
    take the El Sonido out to gig. While my own insurance would have to cover theft, I can rest in
    the fact that Gomez Amps gives a solid 5 yr warrantee for his amplifiers.

I've got two at the moment, one for myself and the other to sell. IF you are a giggin musician
    I would be happy to get one of these amps to you immediately. I've kinda signed up to play
    and sell Gomez amps since I'm no good at at selling things I wouldnt play myself and dont
    believe in.

I'm sold on this blonde and its been a long time coming for a company besides tophat and clark
    to finally build a near blueprint 63' Blonde 6G6-B bassman amp.

hey Setzer, I got a new amp for ya. :wink:

[​IMG]

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

sounds like a winner!

how much $$ for one of these bad boyz?

3. frank62

frank62 Member

My favorite amp. What's the price on these?

4. Blueser

Blueser Member

Any clips available?

5. wiredturtle

6. DGG

DGG Member

Sorry guys no samples on the Sonido yet. Currently, the sounds link is to the Surfer sounds. I've been swamped all summer but will try to get them up ASAP. Stay tuned..

Thanks for the props Tavo!

7. wiredturtle

I'll try to get something together this weekend, but it aint gonna be
    surf music. :):JAM

8. wiredturtle

guts n glory? ;) c'mon give us bigger pictures..... this is too small

[​IMG]

9. DGG

DGG Member

Today is picture day. Gonna be taking some outdoorsy shots of the G Reverb and the Sonido with my good friends and powerful guitar jedis Scott Detweiler and Greg Togawa.

In studio pictures for brochures will be taken shortly thereafter. A whole new look to the Gomez lineup is on the way.

Sound clips will appear on the website in November for ALL the amp models.

stay tuned...

Stay tuned.

10. DGG

DGG Member

..forgot to mention. A waiting list for all amp models is forthcoming.

11. Roe

Roe Member

clark only seems to have made one 6g6b. how many did gomez make - 8?

12. DGG

DGG Member

Quite a few built and sold since their debut in June...

13. getbent

getbent Member

Gomez amps are amazing. Nice job Dario!

14. DGG

DGG Member

getbent-thanks man...when are we gonna sit down for some pickin'? Going to NAMM this year?

15. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

hey dario...

evidently, i'm looking at mid november for my el sonido.
    certainly not an intolerable wait time compared to valvetech, glaswerks, standel or any other number of hand built amps.
    looking forward to comparing the el sonido to my fave 6G6B (not mine) that resides in one of the studios i work in.

16. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I read something on Gomez amps a few months ago, and was kinda' interested by them for that "fender" thing... Anyone have any experience with "the surfer"??? I'm thinking that I might pickup their reverb unit for an AC-15 twin that I've got coming... and I could also use it on the Concorde when I finally get it...

17. getbent

getbent Member

I'd love to! I'll see if I can find a way 'in' to NAMM! Are you gonna go see Wilsey? There is a guy named Greg Collier who is playing in Fullerton soon, I wanna come down and see him, I think you'd dig his music...

If the boss gives me some stock I'll have a Gomez this year... they are awesome.

18. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Damn. I really want a "The Surfer" now... Thanks for the reviews, DGG ;) I've always been a fan of that classic surf tone, and these amps seem to have just that... I'm officially gonna' start saving up for a "The Surfer", and a nice jazzmaster or jaguar... preferably vintage.

19. DGG

DGG Member

Thanks Mark ...and get the Jag!

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

It's MarkO... and I will ;):D... You'll be hearing more from me, good sir!