Good Guitar cables??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StratTone, Jan 6, 2007.

1. StratTone

StratTone Member

I need some feedback on a REALLY good guitar cable. What do you use that is a lifetimer?? I've used some cheapo peavey cables for a long time with no trouble but I have a little more money to spend with my age now and would like some nice nice ones. What do you use? Give me a link to if you can. Thanks.

2. BBAKE1

BBAKE1 Member

Go to the Lava Cable site. Evidence, Cadras, etc...... There is a difference.:AOK

3. Skip62

Skip62 Member

I've mostly used cheap GC cables, then one of the guys a GC talked me into some cable that has to be plugged in a certain way - hated it. It was expensive and I just gave it away. Then I read post from a studio musician that had 7 of buddy's get together with every cable they could find and all of them picked the Mogami's with Nuetrik ends. I switched 2 weeks ago and I really like the tone. According to the Lava cable guide they say it colors the sound, which may be true, but it's a really nice color...:) My .$02

4. wreck1

wreck1 Member

Evidence Audio

5. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Supporting Member

don't believe the hype, you don't need to spend alot, just make sure it has good connectors and is flexible, mho, many are trying to sell the difference, but there are so many other factors @ play, save your money .my humble 2 cents (canadian, ....so its not worth as much !!.lol ):D

6. jtriffo

jtriffo Member

you should go for something with gold plated ends, because they dont oxidize, and try to avoid monster cables, wayy over priced. and go for something that has a lifetime warranty, that way if it breaks, you can just bring it back and get a new one.
    occasionally guitar center has some good cables for cheap,(~18$) i useally get them when they have a special like that.

7. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Monster cables are generally dark toned and the ends break. I always suggest looking at Lavacable. See what's in your price range and order some that are fairly flexible. He'll put straight or angle ends on. He uses great ends that will last for years. Do this and don't look back. You'll be assured you got good cables at a fair price.
    SRV did say he liked those cheap coil cords, and Albert Collins used a 100' cord. Both will take the highs off and given their guitars and amps, less highs would be a good thing. The big problem with some cheap cables isn't so much the rolled off highs but the spikey mids.

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

This has been kicked about before.
    The sonic differences between "good" and "bad" are noticeable, but you may prefer "bad"....subjective
    The sonic differences between "good" and "good" are hardly noticeable and you may find they disappear in band situations.
    You can try a bunch or just get something with Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors that is rugged and doesn't rattle when you shake it (Canare, etc) and be happy (maybe).
    NOTE: Neutrik ends are big.....space consuming

9. Weldaar

Weldaar Member

Spectra-Flex, Whirlwind, or anything affordable. They all do the same thing.

10. Nick Patterson

Nick Patterson Member

I've got the Vox Premium Vintage Coil Cable ($29.99) that I think sounds better than the monster I used to have. Plus it's 27 feet. The fact that it coils is great as well.

11. seanw1010

seanw1010 Member

i just use cheap 10$ PROformance 13' cables for everything-does the trick

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Planet Waves Classic. I picked up a nice 20' with one right-angle end for $19.95 at Music-Go-Round. Sounds great and it's nice and flexible.

13. wescattle

wescattle Member

what are the cables with the really thick connectors

14. StratTone

StratTone Member

Well I'm not really looking for anything for sound better or worse type deal but something that I don't have to EVER worry about replacing. Something very durable. My cables are still in great working order but I still have to wiggle them now and again. No open in the wire but just old....

15. JRenn

JRenn Supporting Member

16. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I've been playing guitar professionally for over 20 years and I have never had the connectors oxidize. That's some marketing **** to get you to spend too much money on something needless.

17. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

18. wreck1

wreck1 Member

evidence audio cables are built to last they are pricey but they are the best ive used thus far. as far as cheap cables go musicinsfriend use to offer dirt cheap cables with a yellow sheath like covering on towards the end of the cables and i bought a bunch of them and got maybe two weeks use total from about 10 cables!!!!! so yeah there is a difference, just like there is a difference in cabs, guitars, pedals and anything else. if it didnt matter why would there be thousands of different makers of all these things, instead of just having one cable maker, one guitar maker, etc....if anyone can prove to me that there is no difference in evidence audio melody cables vs. radio shack cables, let me know and ill def. switch.....

19. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Gold Supporting Member

I admit that I don't have a reliable reference to this (a few audio forums and Wikipedia articles pop up in Google but that's not what I call a reliable reference) and it's not my field of expertise, but my understanding has always been that it's actually *worse* to use gold plated jacks if the sockets aren't also gold plated. The effect is small and only a concern in high humidity conditions, but the difference in electronegativity between gold and nickel plus the ambient humidity will eventually corrode the nickel. You should use gold plated connectors with gold plated sockets and nickel plated connectors with nickel plated sockets (which is what you find in most amps and pedals).

To answer the original question, I've always made all my cables with Neutrik connectors and either Van Damme or Cordial cable and have never had a problem. Tone Terrific is right that Neutrik jacks are bulky but they have this new, slimmer type which is what I've been using since it came out some months ago: http://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_np_2_x.htm

20. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Check out PRO-CO Starguard series. Reasonalbly priced and have a sleeve one the input end that shorts it till you plug it in all the way. 20 year warranty. Flexible too. I the bang for the buck starts to plummet after a certain point on cables. YMMV.