HAMER GUITARS...closing their doors

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by brentrocks, Dec 6, 2012.

1. brentrocks

brentrocks Supporting Member

I just go this form the HAMER forum....looks like Fender will be shutting down HAMER after all current orders are filled.

kinda sad...

2. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Silver Supporting Member

Damn... :(

Maybe the TGP collective could pool our funds and buy the company off them... ;)

3. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

A sad day indeed :mad:

4. Bajan

Bajan Member

Very sad indeed. Hamer has always made quality instruments. I own an Artist Korina HB and it is a very well built guitar.

5. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Their market share is too low in this new economy. I have one and love it but re-sale sucks for some unknown reason.

Too bad I always liked the Hamer designs.

6. megawzrd

megawzrd Supporting Member

Sucks.

I'd take a Hamer studio over any Gibson DC or LP anyday.

Wasn't there a forumite saying he was working on a Hamer guitar history and was expecting to put it out in Feb 2013? Might have been on HC.

7. Bajan

Bajan Member

Very true. Have never totally understood why their resale value was so low. But I bought mine used so I did well.

8. Dashface

Dashface Member

That's really sad. I often tell people that my Hamer Studio was never my favorite guitar, but it was certainly the best guitar I've ever had.

9. joec63

joec63 Member

I'm guessing that value will be climbing once they shut down and there's no more supply.

10. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

My Hamer Studio IS my favorite electric.

We all knew Fender would do this eventually a few years ago, right?

11. Dale

Dale Member

I love my Hamer studio. The company will be missed.

12. brentrocks

brentrocks Supporting Member

i just picked this up off ebay...got a smokin deal....i guess i better keep it

[​IMG]

13. vds5000

vds5000 Member

I've owned 2 Studio Customs, 2 Daytonas, 2 Chapparals, 1 Steve Stevens and 1 Eclipse. All were great. On the used market, I've never seen more bang for the buck.

What sucks even more is Fender owns the rights to the name, so not like we'll be seeing a resurrection anytime soon (if ever).

14. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Sadly, Hamer sales were poor. The New Hartford workforce will be switching gears and start on the new line of Guild electrics. They were ramping up production when I was there in October

15. django49

django49 Member

Big fan of Hamers here.......Too many to admit to owning. Great values. Too bad there will not be new ones. I personally thought the ones they made in later years (last decade or so) were their best quality ever.

16. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Sad but typical for Fender, they destroyed the Guild electrics. Watch Jackson to be next on their hit list

17. GuitarTampa

GuitarTampa Member

Fender does this rather often. No surprises. Buy up a brand, ramp up production, take a chunk of your competitor's market via large marketing push and renewed vigor in the line... then let line atrophy, and move on. Anyone have a list of all the brands they have done this with? Regardless: the body shapes Hamer was known for aren't selling well right now. I just saw a Gibson Explorer, new, black re-issue (not a cheapie) for $799 with a hardshell case. Crazy.

18. Dumo

Dumo Supporting Member

Not surprising. I thought they might shut down even before Fender bought them. Nobody knows the brand. They either say "Oh those cheap import guitars?" or they are like 50 year-old+ guys who only remember them as the "Cheap Trick guy guitar" from the 70's. Really unfocused brand marketing. Great guitars though. I've owned a few and they were all good to excellent.

19. Jedi

Jedi Member

That sucks...IMHO they have not been the same company since Danzig and Hamer participated.

20. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

While Hamer made some great guitars, they have never really had much traction in the marklet - at least since the early 80's. It's a very crowded and competitive marketplace.

I don't see the typical Hamer going up in value. There was very little demand for them before, and there are plenty for sale. I could see the korinas and other maxed out models holding their values a bit better, but who knows.

Fender actually does a good job with some of the lines it purchases. Gretsch has never been marketed better IMO. But they aren't miracle workers. Hamer was a tough one to do anything with - they just don't have the brand cachet with most players.

Even Guild will be a struggle unless they do some really ceative and out-of-the-box things. I wish them the best, but they don't have a great history with USA set neck guitars.