Has anyone tried the Mullard 12ax7 reissues from New Sensor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by peequin, Jun 14, 2007.

1. peequin

peequin Member

I just got one from doug's tubes. Let me know if any of you has tried these yet. I know they are relatively new....

[​IMG]

2. edward

edward Supporting Member

Sorry this is no answer to you but I, too, am also interested from users of OS Mullards ...hopefully they can give us a comparison review. :)

FWIW, I like the Tung-Sol RI 12ax7 a lot. So much so I put em in both my amps.

Edward

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'm waiting for all you guys to do unpaid Beta testing for a year;)

4. peequin

peequin Member

I'll test it out tonight and report!!

5. Luke Duke

Luke Duke Member

I knew it was only a matter of time before they released a 12AX7!!

I'll be eager to read your review.

Luke

6. scottl

scottl Gold Supporting Member

One on the way to test.....

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

"They" already have about 6 different 12AX7s. "They" are New Sensor, the guys who bring you Sovtek, Tung Sol Reissues, Electro Harmonix, etc..

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

And these are NOT the same tube as Groove Tubes' "Mullard Reissue"? (thinking maybe GT has just been re-branding the New Sensors?)

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

No, they don't even look alike "inside the glass".

10. scottl

scottl Gold Supporting Member

Doug told me they resemble a reworked LPS.

11. peequin

peequin Member

Ok first report. They sound good.

But I also replaced my V2 and V3 with Tungsols so don't know how much of a difference that made either. Switching over from an old set of jjs.

I have two different NOS Mullards. In comparison, from memory only...the New Sensor doesn't sound as 3D sounding.

But a definite improvement. It really warmed up the amp and tamed the harshness a bit. Worth the $20....I guess so.

I really need to test them further. But it is A OK for now.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

When comparing ANYTHING, make only one change at a time or you're really not doing a fair comparison. Now that you've got the TSs in V2 and V3, try switching back to whatever you had in V1 before.

Ideally, a blind test (one in which someone else is doing the switching and you do the listening) is the best and only real way to do sonic comparisons.

13. Luke Duke

Luke Duke Member

I know "they" being New Sensor, I figured it was only a matter of time after the release of the EL34s. Thus far I really dig Tung Sols and the Mullards would have to be pretty nice for me to stray.

Luke

14. mmorse

mmorse Member

Well, if their "Mullard" ax7s are anything like their "Mullard" 34s, they can keep them. I've also tried both the GT ax7Ms and the Gt 34Ms and, while decent, (better than the New Sensor 34s IMO) can't compare to the real thing.

One thing I must say. Both my 800s prefer the real deal Mullard ax7s to new production "Mullards" but a new production little plexi clone I had didn't seem to care as much. There was very little tonal difference between a real Mullard and a GT "Mullard" when used in that amp.

This is just speculation on my part but I think today's builders may be voicing their amps on new production tubes (makes sense) and the whole NOS mystique does not come in to play as much as older amps that were built around the old tubes. Of course, that's just personal theory and conjecture.

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I thought one should compare invoices while listening in order to say the most expensive is the "awsomest??"

:confused:

16. English Jim

English Jim Member

Indeed! The only true test - which costs the most:)

17. Sonnyblu

Sonnyblu Member

Man, I love the Tung-Sol 12AX7's also... I'm still waiting to get my Mullards, they should be here in a couple of days along with some JAN Phillips 5751 to use as V3 in my Marshalls. So I will post about the Mullards... It's hard to find a review isn't it? I hope that's not bad news...

I think I'm going to go ahead and get some more backup Tung-Sols...
    I have been using JJ ECC83s forever... so I have had a awakening!
    Like they say "It sounds like I took a blanket off my amp and changed my strings"

I've been using JJ's so long (20 yrs) and missing that Beautiful, Open, 3D Chime!
    Yes, JJ's are great for Leads and high gain... But Tung-Sols have the Chime.

18. Sonnyblu

Sonnyblu Member

Post Resurrection! Like a Phoenix from the ashes! Damn... It's been a year and still no New Sensor Mullard 12AX7 RI review... I will post as soon as I get mine. But considering how hard it is to find a review... Does it even matter?

19. boogieplaya

boogieplaya Member

I have tried the Mullard reissues in 2 of my Marshalls. 50 watters, dsl50 and 1987 jcm800 2204. I did the power tubes and v1, switched from jj power tubes and tung sol 12ax7's in v1 to the Mullards. To me they (both power and pre) sound softer and a bit throatier (more mids) than the jj+ts combination. I ended up preferring The Mullard power tubes over the jj's, but i put the tung sols back in v1 as i think the ts's are a little livlier with more sparkle and a sweeter top end..Kudos to the el34's though..IMHO Of course.

20. Sonnyblu

Sonnyblu Member

Thank you BoogiePlaya... Are you saying that the Mullards are simular to the JJ's? I mean dark and heavy in the mids? Not chimey and more Hi-Fi like the Tung-Sols?
    Man, I've got boxes and boxes of JJ's I sure don't need anything else that sounds like them.. lol I have brand new gold pin JJ's I need to sell already.