how much are the orville by gibsons worth?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by amshively, Jul 8, 2010.

1. amshively

amshively Member

a guy is trying to sell his orville by gibson, a les paul style guitar, for around 1350. is there any reason why it should be that expensive?

2. jtg116

jtg116 Member

I don't know why his is $1350, on EBay they go for around $800, and if you wait, less.

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

4. David Vee

David Vee Member

The reasons these particular Japanese guitars command the price tags are:

1. Both "Orville" and "Orville by Gibson" branded models were officially authorized/supervised by Gibson. Think of stock Orville as the Epiphone line (which it would become), and OBG as Gibson USA (with near Custom Shop quality). Both were kept from being exported to the USA.

2. The OBG craftsmanship is said to have exceeded their American-made counterparts of that era. The OBG models also received the same electronics used by Gibson in the USA and received the famous fret edge binding. It is generally assumed by those kinds of details that OBG models received considerably more TLC during assembly.

3. They are now long out of production... rare usually commands a price

(Of course, Gibson would later rethink its exporting policies as they allowed the cheaper "Orville" line to morph into Epiphone... noteworthy is that the early Epiphones were first made in Japan and characterized as having traditional Gibson headstock profiles. It is generally accepted that when Gibson moved Epiphone to Korea, and changed headstocks, the line became "cheapened" and less desirable. The short-lived, early Japanese-made Epiphone quality, however, is reputed to have matched the OBG's craftsmanship.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  5. David Vee

David Vee Member

I've seen many folks place the eBay listing as "Orville (by Gibson)"... but the headstock reveals what you are bidding on is a garden variety Orville. The OBGs command more money.

Also, like the American models... the finish matters. An opaque finished OBG will command less money than a burst.

6. germs

germs Member

so far so good, just have to know what you're buying.

regular "Orville" go less than $1K with regularity.

if the seller has the better model on hand, then you're probably getting a decent price.

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Orville's in good shape = $650-850 TOPS!
    ObG's in good shape = $850-1200 TOPS!
    I can't justify spending the money for an ObG when I can possibly find a used Gibson LP Standard for a tad more.

8. amshively

amshively Member

thanks everyone. all these comments are helpful.

9. rogwerks

rogwerks Member

can we still say "jap"...

Oy!!

10. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Silver Supporting Member

Orville by Gibson reissues go up to $2000 depending on the model. They are close to Custom Shop quality. They sold for about $1400.00 when they were new. Much better quality than a standard production Gibson. People are finding out about these and the prices are going up. The ones that aren't reissues sell for a bit less. The ones without the "by Gibson" designation are lower quality and sold for less. The OBG reissues were much more accurate than the USA reissues when they came out.

11. cherrick

cherrick Member

Orvilles: 50% the price of a Gibson Les Paul standard (not a Historic).

12. vortexxxx

13. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

half.

14. Gasp100

IMHO, the ObG reissues are the top of the line and still are "only" on par with Gibson LP Standards MIA IF you can find one in excellent condition. C'mon, they are Nitro, loaded with Classic 57's stock and nice wiring with all USA hardware. What's different between that and a nice Gibson LP Standard that's made in America. How in the world can they be MORE than a high quality as new Gibson LP Standard?
    And yes, I have owned a ObG 59 RI.

15. captain_bob

captain_bob Member

I sold an OBG around Christmas for $975.00

16. David Vee

David Vee Member

I see your point, but what it really comes down to is fit and finish. Sadly, American craftsmanship ain't what it used to be... and the Japanese were, and still are, fanatical when it comes to woodworking. I'm not saying they can beat every Custom Shop model, but on any given day... that 20 year old Japanese example of their best efforts can make our boys go back to their drawing boards wondering why and how.

17. vortexxxx

Last time I got my OBG 59 setup the guys at the store were in awe of it at the 12th Fret in Toronto. They have all sorts of vintage gear there including some 50's Les Pauls. They carry the entire Gibson line. I've had many USA Gibsons and the quality is hit and miss. I can't say if the other OBG reissues are as good as mine because I've never had any other OBGs but if you check the MyLesPaul forum you'll see how coveted these are.

"What's different between that and a nice Gibson LP Standard that's made in America. How in the world can they be MORE than a high quality as new Gibson LP Standard"

The US Standard has nothing to do with Vintage Specs. so it's like comparing apples to oranges. I don't want a semisolid Les Paul and many others don't as well. I don't want a 10 pound LP either (like the Norlins). Mine is completely solid and weighs just under 8 pounds. Try finding a non custom shop- not chambered one of those. If you must compare them they are comparable to historics. The only fault mine has are the fretboard inlays. You can see a sliver of the black epoxy they used to glue them in on some. I'm not trying to imply it's perfect (because it's not - no guitar is) but the quality control on most newer Standards is not much better than the Studios.

18. vortexxxx

Another bit of trivia I found - Japan still uses the now illegal in the US nitro that was used in the 50's. on some guitars. I'm not implying that this one uses that but it's just an example of how much into tradition they are. The first official reissue guitars were Fenders made in Japan.

19. Gasp100

I agree with what you are saying in certain respects, but a factor that keeps me from shooting for an ObG (or any higher quality MIJ from the Golden Era - ie. 80 - 90's) is that you rarely, if ever will get a chance to play before you buy and many times have to trust in a seller from Japan to ship one to you (buy to try).
    Good examples of MIA Gibson Standards are so plentiful (on here, mylespaul, ebay, etc...) and locally in many cases you "might" have a better shot finding what you want.
    It's always a crapshoot, I hold the MIJ LP's in VERY high regard and would love to own another one someday soon. But, the $1300-1500 zone is just too high in my humble opinion. I think in that level you might actually be looking at some very high level MODERN Japanese LP copies as well, new? Tokai, Bachuss, real ESP Navigators?

20. amshively

amshively Member

can anyone tell a difference between the japanese craftsmanship of 20 years ago versus today?