I want an Auto Wah; what should I get? Guyatone WR-3 or other?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by discountsounds, Jul 20, 2005.

1. discountsounds

discountsounds Member

I've been considering getting an auto wah but I'm not familiar with what's available out there, especially in true bypass boutique land. My priorities:

- No tone-sucking!
    - Not too pricey ($150 would be pushing it)
    - Not too many switches and knobs

The Guyatone WR-3 is on the top of my list right now. I've been mostly pleased with their MD-3 delay especially in terms of being non-tone-sucking. Also, it's only about $65 and it has two knobs and one switch.

If you use (or have used) a WR-3, please weigh in with what your experience has been. If you have other suggestions, let's hear them. Thanks!

2. Jim Martin

Jim Martin Member

I like the EMMA DisCUMbobulator. Really fast response time, sounds great and it will wah up or down. You could probably find one used in your price range.

3. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I've done some looking into autowahs and I think the best pedals in your price range are the Guyatone and the MXR M-120 ($110). The guyatone is cool because its small, cheap and has a blend feature. If I had the spare change I would already own one.

4. jordanL

jordanL Member

I have a Wr-3 and think its definitely a good little pedal. I really like the blend feature, your tone doesn't lose all its body. And the sensitivity range is good. I think the Mini Q-tron sounds better, but its huge.

Tonefactor has a DOD 440 clone I want to try-True bypass in an MXR sized box.

5. James Knox

James Knox Member

A Strat into the DiscomBOBulator (with the toggle switch DOWN)into an OCD os an ADDICTING combination. With the DicsomBOBulator, I rarely even use my Teese Picture Wah anymore.

A REALLY nice pedal!

James

6. erksin

erksin Member

Your comment is interesting to me...

I've been using wahs more of my playing life (albeit sparingly), and have been really intrigued by the idea of using an autowah/envelope filter type box instead of a rocker pedal. I like to 'park it' sometimes, and hardly ever do the 'wacka wacka' funk stuff and that's what has kept me from making the leap.

I guess I have a couple questions - how controlable are these things? Have any of you thought they were useable and versatile enough to dump your standard wahs?

7. jordanL

jordanL Member

IMHO the two effects are very different, envelope filters sweep is triggered by your picking, while you control the sweep of a pedal wah without regard to waht you're playing. White room just wouldn't sound right with a Auto wah-IMHO.

Envelope filters can be controlled-but they are volume dependent. Jerry Garcia ran his effects loop off his guitar to get a consistent response: Hit pedals always saw a consistent volume, otherwise turning up or down can alter response.

8. MrSage

MrSage Member

The Jacques Trinity seems like a pretty sweet one. It does the envelope filter thing as well as auto wah and fixed wah.

He has clips on his site.

9. matte

matte Senior Member

Ibanez AFL

10. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i like to use autowahs as more of a phaser effect than anything. it gives it a really deep, trippy sounding phase.

11. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Supporting Member

Tonefactor Analogue filter! :D I've been haveing a blast with mine! :dude

12. showman(tx)

showman(tx) Member

+1 ! It's the best envelope filter I've tried so far ...

13. Denyle_Guitars

Denyle_Guitars Fuzz Sustaining Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a WR-3 and there isn't much in the way of tweaking the sound. It pretty much does one sound. If you can, swing for the flip series Guyatone, the funkybox or what ever it's called now.

14. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

does the tone factor analog envelope filter color tone at all while its on? thanks
    alex

15. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

16. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i bought my discumBOBulator off a forumite to replace my old mutron micro IV......no dissapointments!!! this thing will make the ladies juice....the best filter ive used yet....more adjustable than the old mutron....

17. KRosser

KRosser Member

I dig the Ibanez AFL & Guyatone WR-3. I owned the Emma for a while, it was good but I prefered these others. Also, I really like the old Boss AW-2 (not the more recent AW-3 - even though it's got more features it doesn't sound as good to me). I also really dig the ZVex Ooh Wah, which I used to own but sold to free up some money for a guitar. I'd own another one pretty quickly.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Looks like too much TGP browsing has cost me yet again. :jo

Guyatone WR-3 is on the way.

For the past almost 20 years, I've been using the same original version Boss T-Wah. You can see it there on my board to the top right. It sounds pretty good - does the Garcia thing which is all I want, really - but the sensitivity is definitely not up to modern specs.

[​IMG]

I already own 2 of the Guyatone Micro-series pedals, the delay and the compressor, and both excell. No, not "for the price," but period.

So thought I'd take a chance on the WR-3 now, too. P.S. No, Tomo's clips didn't disuade me, either. :D

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81165&highlight=WR3

19. alanfc

alanfc Member

So how do you like the WR-3 ?

And is it in your loop or up front?

I have one too, and its the last thing about to drop from my lineup in front of the amp, am trying zero FX upfront, and everything in the loop. When I originally bought it I thought it sounded bad/out of control low end when it was in the loop. But I don't think I played around with it enough.

20. alanfc

alanfc Member