iPhone 5: How do you send group text messages?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by The Kid, Oct 5, 2012.

1. The Kid

The Kid Member

EDIT: The main issue is that I need to set up a few different distribution lists that are available to send multiple texts by the touch of a button like I did on my old phone. I know that I can type in multiple recipients manually, and / or dig up old group conversations, but digging through old conversations is not an acceptable solution.

EDIT #2: So I tried a few of the free versions and I settled on one called GroupTexts. It's more user friendly.

I was so excited to get the iPhone 5 because it takes way better audio and video than my HTC Evo 3D Android phone. I started setting up my new phone and can't figure out how to set up groups to send multiple text messages at once!

On my Evo, I had groups set up for a few different bands that I'm in. I could quickly inform a few people at once of any upcoming gigs, or changes that came up.

I also had groups set up to notify people about gigs. I was only able to send 40 texts at a time, so I set up 3 groups for gigs. I cut and pasted the second two messages and only had to hit the send button three times to reach over 100 people.

I downloaded "Group text!" but it wants to add email addresses and Facebook contacts as well. I don't understand how they haven't had a ton of requests for such a system. My Droid just did it as a stock option on the phone.

Issue #2:

Keyboard!
    The iPhone keyboard sucks. You have to go to a different screen (numeric) to use a comma or a period! You need to hit the space bar after every word, You have to type the whole word. No predictive dialing. No learning your typing style and remembering words that you use often like Swiftkey???

"SwiftKey 3 learns the words and phrases you use, and how you interact with your keyboard as you use it, to make typing easier and even more accurate over time. You can also personalize it using your Gmail, Facebook, Twitter or blog posts.

* Smart Space – adding to SwiftKey’s already cutting edge correction, Smart Space detects mistyped or omitted spaces across strings of sloppily typed words in real-time."

Why wouldn't Apple have these things figured out? I love my MacBook Pro. I love a lot about the iPhone 5, but the Keyboard and inability to send group texts may be a deal breaker for me.

If anyone has a solution for either problem on the iPhone, please let me know. I really love the camera and microphones for recording live music. I just wish it did simple useful things like my Evo 3D did!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. partytrain

partytrain Member

Go into the messaging app, type out the recipients you wish to receive the text, send it...boom, group text....not sure what was difficult about that.

And the iphone does have predictive text, it always gives me suggestions when i'm typing out commonly used words.

Sorry you're having some issues with the basic features......

3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know what you mean... I bought my first iPad and though I like it a lot, the email doesn't support groups either. Insane.

For email, I got an app called "MailShot" which cheats somewhat and can make quasi groups for email, but it still won't sync with my gmail group contacts.

I don't own an iPhone, but am guessing you ought to look in the AppStore and see if there is an addon app you can get?

4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

There are all kinds of Group Text Apps in the App Store and a ton of Videos on you Tube on how to do it if you cant figure it all out.

Here is one

No Swift Key app but there is Predictive text and a ton of spelling type apps that may do it for you

Or.....

Drop it in the toilet, visit a Apple Store and tell the employees that your phone dont work it and it sucks and you want your money back and go back to your EVO.

Or....

Hand your new IPhone to a 12 year old and let them help you out :dude

You might be to old to learn new stuff :bonk just sayin :omg
    ( posted from my crappy IPhone 4S )

5. The Kid

The Kid Member

Typing in over 100 names each time I send out gig announcements when I used to just open up a group and hit send is the issue. If you don't see that, I can't explain it any better. ;)

As far as predictive spelling:
    It does recognize some words, but swift key was awesome. In fact, if I typed "A-W" it would auto spell "awesome." I have to literally type the whole word in now. Maybe it needs time to "learn" the words that I use... Swiftkey was on that right off the muscle!

6. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

once you type out the group once it will be in imessages. just go to that "group" again to send the next message

7. The Kid

The Kid Member

Cool, thank you, although it won't set up specific groups for different distribution lists. That is what I really need.

This may be the best advice yet!

Honestly, I love the OS and the video/audio recording, call quality, and speaker phone blow the Evo away. I just don't understand how something so simple and readily available wouldn't be included. I didn't need to download an app to set up groups before. It shouldn't be an issue on the iPhone IMO.

8. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

You might be too old to learn new stuff (like grammar) :bonk just sayin ;)

9. The Kid

The Kid Member

Sure, but I send out so many texts to different distribution lists that I'd have to manually make sure it was the correct list each time. Not to mention digging through tons of messages to find it.

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

This.
    Seriously though you send hundreds of people texts about gigs? That's kind of intrusive and not everyone has texting or an unlimited plan. I'd ask you to delete my number.

More aggravating than this issue though is Facebook invites. Why can't I invite anyone who "likes" the band page/ all I can do is go through my friends one by one. It's tedious.

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

I use email for that. I set up a list (from people who have asked to be on it), attach the gig flyer and type up an intro. I've done it from my 4S and it's no big deal, but I prefer the laptop. Personally, I don't see why you'd send out a text advertising a gig, unless it's a last minute thing. And as SeƱor Cuffs pointed out, some people don't have a texting plan and/or they pay 15 cents (or more) for each message. Two of those people are the other guitarist in my band and the keyboard player... ;) Yes, they're friggin' luddites, but they're both great players too...

12. The Kid

The Kid Member

Wanna know what else is intrusive? Not sticking to the OP and coming in with your own unwelcome and erroneous agenda. Right fisticuffs? :boxer

This is your input on the matter? Thanks for addressing a non issue. We're not friends, so I'm not at all concerned with how you feel about where my texts are going.

That said, everyone on the list has asked to be put on it at one point or another, and know to text me "unsubscribe" if they don't want to remain on the list. Many people actually prefer text messages.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  13. aparnell

aparnell Supporting Member

The only advice I could offer is there may be a nice app for it.
    My kids baseball coach uses an app to send out info to the parents.

Good luck!

14. The Kid

The Kid Member

So yeah, I send out a lot of solicited texts.

I have a distribution list for the members of both of the bands that I run. (4 people on each list)
    I have a distribution list for band gigs. (this is the only list of over 100 texts)
    I have a distribution list for acoustic gigs. (about 40 people. Some prefer acoustic gigs.
    I have a distribution list for open mic players an open mic that I run. (Just under 50 people on that list)

Once in a great while (twice in 2012) I had someone unsubscribe. One had a baby and can't get out much anymore.

The other was a horn player that I don't put on gigs anymore because he drives me insane. I told him it was "budgetary" so his feelings weren't too hurt. I guess he got tired of counting the gigs that he felt he should have been on.

There were no "hard" feelings about it AFAIK. He still calls me for his gigs and studio work.

15. mep

mep Silver Supporting Member

Search the app store. Here is a free one - Text 2 Group - Fast SMS and iMessage. This ought to get you going.

There are a bunch of other apps that provide the functionality you are looking for but not all of them are free.

16. darth550

darth550 Member

17. The Kid

The Kid Member

Thank you. I'm looking into that now. Do you know of any better keyboard apps?

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

Guy cant even ask a question without getting a couple bullshit remarks? Grow the f*** up.

19. The Kid

The Kid Member

Haha! I did walk into the Pub. I should have known. ;)

To anyone concerned or rather,... overly concerned, I'm not iPhone bashing. I actually really dig it in a lot of ways. The audio, video, and call quality are better, and I like the operating system.

I just want a better keyboard and a way to set up distribution lists. That's all. I'm checking some stuff out now.

20. The Kid

The Kid Member

It looks like TGP for cell phone freaks!