Is there a pedal that can turn my guitar into a bass?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sharks, Jun 21, 2012.

1. sharks

sharks Member

I play around a ton with my Boomerang III but only play over chord vamps I record. There is an octave feature that drops your signal an octave and makes it half speed, but I don't have good enough timing to utilize that properly. Is there a pedal that can do this on the fly? I would love to be able to jam over some funky bass lines

2. rickkkyrich

rickkkyrich Member

How bout an OC2/OC3?

3. tapehead

tapehead Supporting Member

EHX POG.

4. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

Get the EHX Octave Multiplexer. yes, it doesn't have perfect tracking, but it is far cheaper than anything polyphonic, but it is analog and it I think it sounds far better and more like a bass, not to mention you have more control over your tone.

5. sharks

sharks Member

None of those pedals really do what I'm looking for but thanks for trying =\

6. Modulator

Modulator Member

Just buy a cheap bass and an input selector switch. Probably cost you less than any polyphonic pitch/frequency shifting effect that works well.

Doubleneck with bass n guitar perhaps?:D

7. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

I'm not sure what more you could really need. You sure aren't gonna get anything better, bar buying a bass.

8. Modulator

Modulator Member

Why do you need polyphony for a bassline? It could start to get really muddy with bass chords in the looper.

9. Mr. Limbic

Mr. Limbic Member

eventide pitchfactor can do tons of low end stuff..maybe look into one of the sansamp bass di pedals? from what i remember they have cabinet and head simulation, but i have no idea past the pitchfactor

10. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

NO...

11. sharks

sharks Member

:omg Doubleneck! Brilliant! Realistically though, it's a matter of space. I'd rather throw another pedal on the board than have to find a spot for another instrument.

I don't want a blended signal and I don't want the octave up. All I want is octave down, without a dry signal.

Will do, thanks

12. sharks

sharks Member

Ok, :p fair enough.

13. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

I don't think there are any pedals that do literally just that. But all the pedals mentioned above are capable of doing that. Plus, you've got the option if you ever feel like it.

14. sharks

sharks Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTPBzy0dxVE&feature=player_detailpage#t=175s

There it is! Good call tapehead. Took a couple videos to find that but looks like I've got my answer.

15. crazynightowl

crazynightowl Member

Oddly enough I have been experimenting with a TC-Helicon VoiceLive Touch and tried using a guitar as a "vocal" input to see if it would harmonize like it does for vocals. It actually works! You do have to use single notes and either set a scale or provide another audio/MIDI signal to let the automatic detection do its magic. You can select the voicing and an octave down is a choice. I'll have to try that and see if it passes muster. There are a number of vocal harmonizers available these days and they might be a solution for this.

Also, as I have commented before, it's pretty hard to beat a good Roland VG-XXX or GR-XXX system for this but that could be a big step if you don't have a hex pickup, etc.

CNO

16. lumpfish

lumpfish Member

I have an old Boss OC-2 and i use it just like you are saying. It has a knob for the direct sound and the two octaves. I turn the direct and octave 1 to zero and it leaves me with just the octave down signal.

17. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

yeah, OC-2 or OC-3. the latter can do polyphony.

i saw Phil Keaggy playing an acoustic set at a little coffee shop and he was using a OC-2. i know he can make anything sound good, but if you had your eyes closed you couldn't tell he didn't have a bass.

18. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

The OC2 is very close, I would go w/ that, never tried the OC3 though. Anyone ever try the Whammy for this application?

19. -=solewheelin

-=solewheelin Member

I like this thread.
    Makes me feel all fuzzy.
    Yeah the Micro Pog. I had one.
    Everyone likes it, but I think theres room for improvement.
    It's polyphonic but to me, when it's fully wet, it sounds too digital to sound like a bass.
    Has this metallic sound to it.
    I'd rather an OC2 or an Octoplus.

20. dsj

dsj Member

One of the presets on the EHX Ring Thing is a superb octave down.