Jazz bass pickup height adjustment

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by leftybill, Mar 19, 2012.

1. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

I am not a bassist and just picked up a Squire VM jazz. Could someone give me some guide lines for adjusting pickup height?
    thanks

2. erokit

erokit Member

Other than not having the strings bouncing off the pups when fingering high on the neck, It's a matter of taste. I prefer a somewhat low height. My aim is to prevent the pre-amp from clipping, and use the master push the volume. However, if you're using an amp with a single volume knob, raise the pups to the highest level possible w/o the low E buzzing on it and then backoff some. Adjust the high string side a bit higher to even out the response. The bridge pup should be higher that the neck for the same reason of response.

3. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

Thanks, I will try this out.

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I prefer my neck side pickup to be lower and my bridge side pickup to be higher, but just a preference.

5. mikesgig

mikesgig Member

Yes - all per taste and playing style. In general...LOW-a clearer more focused tone and no overloading when playing hard ...HIGH-louder more compressed sound subject to over load. An easy way to test - pan to 1 pickup and push down slowly on the E side of the pickup to gradually lower it as you play the E string. As a starting point the specs will be on the Fender site. And adjust the pickups last after string change and bridge and nut adjustments.