Jazz Box Guys - What's the take on the Ibanez Artcore stuff?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GVDub, Jul 3, 2008.

1. GVDub

GVDub Member

I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive hollow-body electric, and I've got a chance to get a great deal on one of the Artcore AF125s. I really can't spend as much as I'd like (I've been looking at things like the Heritage 175 clone, the mid-range Gibsons, or one of the Guild hollow-bodies but just can't justify the green), so I'm looking at the lower-end. Anybody here have any experience with the Ibanez stuff and how does it stand up against the higher-priced spread?

2. Tritone

Tritone Member

I own an Ibanez AF-105. It's pretty great. It actually has better action than any other guitar I've ever owned. The hardware is pretty decent; I didn't feel the need to replace the tuners like I do with some lower-end guitars. I even liked the stock pickups. It's pretty hard to go wrong with these guitars, IMO.

[​IMG]

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I love the artcores, really love the pups on them, though I did buy a Epi Sheraton semi-hollow body a while back instead, and change out the pups, the artcore hollow body is definitely on my to buy soon list, really just figuring out which one to buy, I am also learning about guitars that are not solid, and there are a lot of things to learn, good high fret access for instance.

4. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

These are nice.

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I think the base guitars are quite nice. There are a few places where they cut corners (bridges, pickups) and a few things I don't like (gaudy inlays on some, gold hardware on some). A lot of the guitars that I've played have needed some fretwork, but that isn't that big of a deal. I have one of the 335 style guitars right now and after a new bridge, pickups, and some fretwork I think it'll be an excellent instrument.

Bryan

6. 5E3

5E3 Member

I tried an AG75 like this one a year or so back:
    [​IMG]
    It sounded fine, the build quality was good, but the body was physically to large for me to play comfortable after getting hooked on a Strat. The other hollow body I tried was a Schecter Diamond Series, which was wonderful except for the Bigsby Trem. Went out of tune every time I touched it. :(

7. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I think some are better than others, but the AF105 and the AS73 are great values. Not thrilled with pups, but the AS73 is a gigging machine for the price.

8. frank62

frank62 Member

They are great values. Also might look at a Washburn J6.

9. Tritone

Tritone Member

I actually own both of those! And I replaced the AS73's pickups with Seth Lovers to my great satisfaction.

10. derekd

derekd Member

As others have said, great bang for the buck.

11. ThePK

ThePK Member

12. Birddog

Birddog Member

I recently sold my Artcore but have zero complaints about it. I just wasn't using it. It was surpsingly detailed in construction and had wonderful tone and feel.

13. teleman65

teleman65 Member

I have one of these. It needed a bit of work but it sounds okay. I'm going to change the pickups.

14. dead mike

dead mike Member

ive got an afs75t and i recommend it. the finish is top notch and the frets were nicely dressed and it has a thin fast neck. the down side is the bigsby gos sharp on the bottom stings (i can fix this i think) and the neck to me is not sturdy enough in the body attachment. As bad as that sounds i still like the guitar and it has its own distinct sound with those low powered pups.

15. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

just stay away from the ones with the tremolo arm. i didnt have one myself but a friend did and that arm was horrible. otherwise it was a really nice guitar for the price. i went the Epi Dot route and wish i would done the ibanez now. oh wells

16. shally

shally Member

nice work.. your guitar may be 300 bucks, but your hands are gold..

i want someone to tell me they can tell that recording was made with a 300 dollar guitar ? they cant

one of my favorite guitarists in new orleans, Mem S..., used to record and play with one of the low end peavey solidbodies.. man ! he had chops and tone.. he finally landed an endorsement deal with an unnamed big company to play and use one of their semi-hollowbody instruments.
    he would keep 'em for a while and then sell them off because he liked his sound better on the cheap Peavey.. so did i...

17. dead mike

dead mike Member

hey im a bouncer at a bar here in Edmonton, Mem just came through a few weeks ago. Man can he play.

18. shally

shally Member

he is a better singer even.. when you look up "soulful" in the dictionary, his picture is there.

you could not find a nicer human being. self taught. driving a cab for years to support himself. i love him and wish him every good fortune someone can have- he is like family to me..

19. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Had a AK-95 for a while. They're good. THe neck is particularly round and comfy, the setup is nice. I'd change the pickups as they're lacking in mids compared to a gibson.

20. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

I got an AF75 a couple of months ago I love it way more versatile than I thought it would ever be,the pick ups are not bad and I think all the Artcores have the same ACH 1 and 2 pick ups.