Jim Kelley amps are coming back

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Husky, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Husky

Husky Member

Suhr guitars working closely with Jim Kelley are going to resurrect and manufacture the Jim Kelley line and perhaps some new product from Jim as well. I have known Jim since the days of selling the amps to Dire Straits in the 80's. Glorious sounding unique amps that also use a killer attenuator which will also be available separate. We will be 100% true to the original designs and then some. We will keep you posted on new developments, we are moving quickly on this project ! These amps were used by Knopfler (Brothers in Arms), Steve Ferris, Lee Ritenour, Joe Bonamassa, Jim Messina, Vince Gill, Bonnie Raitt, Alan Holdsworth, Robben Ford and many others.
    Any wants and wishes let Jim and I know !
    www.jimkelleyamplifiers.com

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  2. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Supporting Member

If true to the original what tubes will they come with? Will they be readily available?

Thanks!

3. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

that's good news!

those FACS amps are one of the best sounding 6v6 based amps ever.

i was always surprised they never caught on more.

John Buscarino had a really nice FACS head and cabinet in his shop in the 80s as his "test amp" for all the guitars he built. i loved that amp, and it had the attenuator with it.

great to see you bring this line back, i am sure it will be done well since Suhr is doing it! :bow

4. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

That is great news!!!!

5. Husky

Husky Member

6V6's there are some great choices these days that hold up excellent.
    Jim is also playing around with some other options.
    Prototypes should be around NAMM time, we are doing the single channel reverb first but the FACS will follow quickly.
    Any request please let us know.

6. Dog Boy

Great! Count me in. The tube issue was the only reason I sold my Rev. Model back in the day. I'm excited!

7. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Great news! Thanks for the heads up John...
    I loved my Jim Kelly FACS 1X12 Combo, until it was stolen in the early '90's. I had it shipped from Hawaii where I had purchased it from my buddy Jimmy at Stringman.
    That was a very special amp, killer cleans and with that attenuator it had a unique and wonderful voice and sustain...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Fantastic amps-Farris was a key user and great player with a great mid 80's band.

9. 5992

5992 Member

Great news.

I had a top of the line Kelley FACS, hardwood cab w/cane grill. Unfortunately I had to sell it to meet some financial obligations. It's the one amp I wish I had back.

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey John -

Man, that makes me feel GREAT - that's wonderful news.

I have many times said and written that Jim Kelly really ought to get more props: he's one of the first botique amp builders to offer a different and excellent solution to getting a great gain sound and a great clean sound out of the same amp AND didn't just saturate the pre amp tubes - Kelly amps actually get output tube gain ("and that's the richest kind", or maybe that's Folger's coffee GRIN?). Boogie did it too, and Dumble, but with pre-amp gain and master volumes. When the Jim Kelly FACS model came out in around '79, it was one of the best sounding amps in the world for stage use.

Still is one of the best sounding, in my opinion. I'm stoked to hear this news - congrats to both you all and to Jim Kelly. In my book, you are both true innovators.

Thanks, Dana O.

11. Jahn

Jahn Member

12. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

the JJ 6v6S "spiral filament" tubes are probably robust enough to handle the FACS - those are great new production 6v6 tubes, I have been very happy with them in a variety of amps.

I always wondered why the Kelly amps didn't get the legendary status of the "D" style amps, as they are quite good to my ears, and very innovative. :bow

13. awardsjake

awardsjake Supporting Member

I agree with Dana's comments about "great for stage use". These are not high gain preamp designs but at stage volume they are very flattering. I have a pair of the FACS amps and playing them quietly on the gain channel does not sound
    nearly as great as they do at reasonable volumes. Every time I take a FACS out on a gig I look back and smile.
    The cleans are beautiful as well.
    I'm very happy Jim and John have teamed up.
    Jake

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  14. foomoola

foomoola Member

Hey John ,

Well , after I cleaned up the mess of crapping myself .... I collected myself enough to type !!! I was forced to sell BOTH a FACS Combo , AND a VERY RARE LINE amp in the last couple of years , to some VERY LUCKY Gear Pager's !!! I was fortunate enough recently to purchase a 100% original FACS Head with original footswitch AND attenuator ...But I am in for a combo and/ or a LINE style amp if they are in the works !!!! I LOVED those 2 amps and it KILLED me having to sell them .... Any time table as to when these will hit the street??? Which models will be involved ??? Limited quantities or regular production ??? What ever , just let me know if there is a " LIST " or whatever .... YOU MADE MY DAY !!!! THANK YOU ....Dave P.:bow:bow:bow:bow

15. Husky

Husky Member

I hope you don't mind we hang on to your amp a little longer as I rebuild it and measure things !

16. stark

stark Supporting Member

Single Channel Non-Reverb head. One of the greatest amps ever!!! I want one.

17. Husky

Husky Member

I thought you still had one?

18. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Happy to help, John (GRIN - doesn't cost me very much effort - GRIN) For me there's ALWAYS some things to drool over at Suhr, this just adds to the pile!

Sincerely, I'm really happy to hear that this collaboration is going on.

I'm STOKED, thanks John, Dana O.

19. foomoola

foomoola Member

Hey Mr. S , Check your PM's ....

20. Dog Boy

+1

I HOPE you will make this model again!